• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hidden Gems

devosc

Recently looked over the code for the Advanced Categories Admin contribution and was quite impressed. Quite often we get stuck or just follow a particular style of coding, and for me the ACA contribution was a break from the norm (i.e. its taken me this long to get around to this type of thinking in respect to the categories and products).

Instead of modifying categories.php for each contribution, modifications are inside modules.

- Installing a contribution that have a module is now as simple as copying a file.

- Very fast update and installation accross projects having different contributions installed.

- 'Old style' installation of contributions is still possible.

- Optional language file for each module.

Admittedly I haven't yet got so far as to installing it, but from a programming and conceptual point of view, to me at least, Christophe Buchi has contributed an excellent piece of work.

It would be interesting to hear if other hidden gems have been found in the contributions area, even if just sections or interesting aspects of code ?

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -- Albert Einstein

Recently looked over the code for the Advanced Categories Admin contribution and was quite impressed. Quite often we get stuck or just follow a particular style of coding, and for me the ACA contribution was a break from the norm (i.e. its taken me this long to get around to this type of thinking in respect to the categories and products).

Admittedly I haven't yet got so far as to installing it, but from a programming and conceptual point of view, to me at least, Christophe Buchi has contributed an excellent piece of work.

It would be interesting to hear if other hidden gems have been found in the contributions area, even if just sections or interesting aspects of code ?

Check out the infobox skinner. This is a great piece of code, and I can't believe that more people don't use it. I personally think that it's one of the best contribs out there after QBI.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you point me in the direction of this 'skinner'. I've searched the contributions and can't find it....?

A link to it would be superb!

Thanks.

Check out http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...kin_manager_2.0

It really is a great piece of code

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Hi Gary,

Always nice to be wandering the forums randomly and to pick on some praise for a piece of my own work. Admittedly, it has been improved upon a couple of time since, but I like to think this was kind of innovative in its approach. :blush: I had in mind something more radical recently something that could take a pre-made web-template (a la templatemonster) and convert if for osCommerce use with a few clicks - now that would definitely be a piece of code! - not impossible, but clearly challenging - but you won't be seeing that one for a while yet.

Anyways, I have been working the old grey cells again and have released a new beta contribution today (check the "my contributions" link) which I hope will become as renowned as good old infobox skin manager. What you see now is just the tip of the iceberg for what I have planned, but on this one I'm hoping for lots of input from people as to what they need to get out of this tool because otherwise it will become what I need it to be rather than something that meets everybody's need (as much as is possible anyway!).

Regards,

Archived