• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Clothing Store Revision

axell

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank you for all the great support and to tell you that I wouldn?t make it you without you guys. :thumbsup:

Our company is selling designer clothing at discounted prices? We beat every designer shop on the web, and have really good variety of clothing to choose from. We are also placed on Number 1,2 and 3 for our keywords on msn.co.uk, yahoo.co.uk, msn.com. We are not doing that well on google, but we are spending money on adwords campaigns, as well as some advertising on bizrate.com.

However things aren?t going so well? We are receiving only few sales per month. Our customers are mostly browsing and leaving our web site. We know that trust is very important for our customers ? that?s why we have integrated live chat customer support and the site is secured with SSL certificate.

Would you guys please visit our web site at http://www.marvelli.co.uk and give us some feedback. Any suggestions are welcome. Please give your true opinion about the web-site. Would you shop here and if not, why? Anything you could think of?

Thanks in advance, and I am looking forward for your responses :rolleyes:

Front page is way too busy, how many logos, gifs (site certified by this that and the next) do you really need.

Too many different fonts used, it's breaking up the style of the page (I counted around five different fonts, not including label logos).

Header far too big, and looks thrown together.

Your links at the very top of the page, move them down (did you know that the extreme top right is the least looked at part of a web page)

Your title "Buy cheap..." does just make me think cheap for the wrong reasons. There are ways to say cheap without being so explicit. Like "Designer labels at great prices" or "Discounted designer labels" etc

Your thumbnails are poor.

what does this mean

"2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of marvelli.co.uk" thought that was a merchant gateway.

All that text at the bottom looks messy.

didnt go much further

Hello again

First of all I would like to thank to mikeq for the great feedback he provided (way to go)? :thumbsup:

As far for the logos, gifs and different certificates we have thought that they are really important because that way we might be able to establish trust in the eyes of our customers faster?

As far for the fonts you are right? We will revise that ASAP and fix it. We also agree for the title, but however this is a common key phrase that is used by many potential customers.

As far for the thumbnails and images as a whole, we are thinking of hiring professional models and photographer as this is the most important part of our web site. We haven?t done this because we have red in post where customers say that they prefer NOT to see their clothes on models and/or plastic models? What do you think from the point of a customer?

what does this mean

"2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of marvelli.co.uk" thought that was a merchant gateway.

This is a requirement of our 3rd party merchant provider 2checkout.com. There are some laws that have changed and this is something which they require in order for you to process payments.

The text at the bottom is for SEO purposes?

Thanks once again for the feedback? Much more feedback is appreciated. Anyone? :)

A couple things that sprung to mind at first glance - ditch the header. Seriously. I would eliminate everything above the breadcrumb. Move the search function elsewhere, move the my account stuff to either the breadcrumb or just below. That, by itself, would do a lot to clean up your site. Two, while a couple buttons advertising your security are probably all to the good, you can't need more than two. It's not horrifyingly bad, but it's visually distracting and makes me kind of wonder about the dangers that you're so eager to assure me that I won't face by shopping there. Three, I don't buy clothing on the web, so I can't comment on models vs. no models. But regardless, when the clothing is wrinkled in the picture, it gives me an extremely unflattering view of the site. Four, I don't like cluttered title bars. It looks tacky to me, expecially when it's blatantly obvious that the sites just trying to pump up their keyword count. My suggestion would be to change it to something like Marvelli.co.uk - Cheapest Designer Clothing on the Web. Five - what's with the huge amount of white space at the bottom of the page? It just looks careless. Six, if I'm buying designer crap, I want something more important than t-shirts. I can buy t-shirts at Target. But the first time I loaded the page, all the new products were t-shirts. Now they're jeans. Slight improvement, I guess. But I would eliminate the new product box for something where you can control the content to only have your most attractive items. Maybe use it as an alternative link to your categories. Or maybe just eliminate it entirely. My favorite pages tend to be very clean, and this just isn't.

I do like the free air shipping thing. I think you should emphasize it more, becuase my eyes just skipped over it entirely the first time I looked at your page.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Axell,

I don't think slow sales is due to your site design. I think the overall design of your site is quite nice. I really think it's the price of the clothing. $100+ for a pair of jeans and $60 for t-shirt really is quite expensive, be it "designer" or not. Maybe you could offer some clothing at low prices as a kind of bait to get people in. Just my opinion...

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

Perhaps you could get rid of the dynamic new products table on the home page and drop your header graphic into the main (middle) part of the page. It's a very nice, trendy graphic that is typical of high-end fashion websites. I would, however, agree that moving the search feature perhaps by the other infoboxes would be better than having it slammed in the middle of your header graphic...it simply doesn't stick out enough.

I also agree that the My Account, etc, should be moved to the left side among or inside an infobox. Other than that, and obviously the photo quality of your product (I know that's a very time-consuming task!) you have the makings of a good site. :thumbsup:

I'll be in trouble if my gf finds out she can buy Roberto Cavalli online! :'(

Hope that helps

Brett

I know the stuff at the bottom is for search engines, but its not really needed for search engines (have a look at some of the top ranked similar sites to yours and see what they do). I just looks messy and as you say its for search engines not your clients.

On the thumbnails, it doesnt matter if its models or not as long as they are excellent quality. The two sites below have both methods but because the images are top quality both work

http://www.webersholland.nl/catalog/index.php

http://www.fsskateandsnow.com/

I think investing in photographs would be a great idea (even maybe getting someone to spend a day with you on setting something up that you can actually take the photos yourself if you intend to update your catalog frequently)

I know the stuff at the bottom is for search engines, but its not really needed for search engines (have a look at some of the top ranked similar sites to yours and see what they do).  I just looks messy and as you say its for search engines not your clients.

On the thumbnails, it doesnt matter if its models or not as long as they are excellent quality.  The two sites below have both methods but because the images are top quality both work

http://www.webersholland.nl/catalog/index.php

http://www.fsskateandsnow.com/

I think investing in photographs would be a great idea (even maybe getting someone to spend a day with you on setting something up that you can actually take the photos yourself if you intend to update your catalog frequently)

I did the photo's on the site mentioned above(http://www.webersholland.nl/catalog/index.php) As I'm not a professional I'm flattered by the quote. I agree photo's are essential for a fashion site. I can't tell you about our sales because we're not selling yet. But with a little effort you can do the photo's yourself. You don't need a real expensive camera: I shoot at 1.2 megapixel, which is large enough for webpages. You need good lighting though and you have to optimise the pictures for the screen. And you don't need a topmodel as long as the pictures look sexy!

Looks like a UK site hosted in Bulgaria (accoring to the error message when I try to display a broken image on your home page) and priced in US$.

Surely that is enough to confuse potential customers and make them leave.

I see that you can change the currency but the default should not be US$ for a .co.uk

Hi there.

Site looks nice but when I first went there I was about ready to leave!

Heres why:

1) Overwhelming. The front page looks cowded and I had to search around for things. I dont like doing this.

2) Use of text. The text its self I was not impressed with. I personally dont like seeing Times New Roman or whatever the default font is on a website. I find if you use a different font it can make things flow better. It seemed like text was in odd places

3) Use of words. I HATE IT WHEN... the word cheap is used. It makes me want to leave immediately. Consider using inexpensive. Or discounted.

4) Better organization...

Must agree with whats been said so far, so wont go on about it.

You should remove the "this was added to our catolog" message. Who cares.

Your site loads slow, no doubt due to the header. I tried on broadband first, then on 56K and it took over 25 seconds. I did get bored waiting, so didnt go any further.

Some of the images in your womens t shirts, have broken links. The picture doesnt open.

My final thing would be to say that i have never known designer to be cheap, competitively priced possibly, but not cheap.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

You need to optimize badly, it loaded so slow for me I almost didn't bother waiting. 56 seconds on 56K is unacceptable and you need to think of ways to speed up the site; 1 easy way is to enable GZip in osCommerce. Your biggest offender is energie4.jpg (43148 bytes) which is a jeans pic so you need to try the thumbnail on the fly contribution so that full pics are not loaded (this may help alot by itself). Although each new_logo_rx_cx.gif is not very big all together they add to 70040 bytes which is huge for a header pic. Anyway optimization will help your site immensly as people hate waiting and there is still like 40% of users on dialup and nobody is going to wait a minute for a site to load. >_<

Connection Rate Download Time

14.4K 219.80 seconds

28.8K 110.00 seconds

33.6K 94.31 seconds

56K 56.67 seconds

ISDN 128K 17.49 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps 1.70 seconds

Analysis and Recommendations

* TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.

* TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 52 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

* TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 50 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

* TOTAL_CSS - Congratulations, the total number of external CSS files on this page is 1 . Because external CSS files must be in the HEAD of your HTML document, they must load first before any BODY content displays. Although they are cached, CSS files slow down the initial display of your page.

* TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 283338 bytes, which will load in 56.67 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.

* HTML_SIZE - Caution. The total size of this HTML file is 30839 bytes, which is above 20K but below 100K. With a 10K ad and a logo this means that your page will load in over 8.6 seconds. Consider optimizing your HTML and eliminating unnecessary features. To give your users feedback, consider layering your page or using positioning to display useful content within the first two seconds.

* IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 246640 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.

* CSS_SIZE - Caution. The total size of your external CSS is 5859 bytes, which is above 4080 bytes and less than 8K. For external files, try to keep them less than 1160 bytes to fit within one higher-speed TCP-IP packet (or an approximate multiple thereof). Consider optimizing your CSS and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.

* MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.

Overall the site looks good but is slow loading and with some errors in grammar and spelling. Further suggestions would be to get yourself a UK contact number rather than a Bulgarian one, and get the site proof-read.

hth

David

Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?

Get rid of this text ... just makes the site look amatureish.

Jud

also,

Get rid of all of the logos on the left side of your site. I don't care where your ssl is from, and I sure don't want to know you got it from FREESSL.com ... or that is it just StarterSSL.

Jud

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback and criticism. I have uploaded the new photos. There are some places where they are still not as they should be but I will fix that ASAP. Those days I have been working a lot around this photos to get them professionally done as we have recognized that this is most important. We are now working over the new design and Marketing strategy. I will let you know as soon as we get the other things done. Thanks again.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback and criticism. I have uploaded the new photos. There are some places where they are still not as they should be but I will fix that ASAP. Those days I have been working a lot around this photos to get them professionally done as we have recognized that this is most important. We are now working over the new design and Marketing strategy. I will let you know as soon as we get the other things done. Thanks again.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

Photos are much much better. Just those make things look more professional, cant wait to see the redesign. Do it right and you'll have a great site.

The photos do look much better than before...I would really stress making some of the other simple changes suggested in this thread to really add to a more professional/trendy image for your site :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I know I am not completely done, but can?t wait to receive some comments on the new design (layout)? There are some small fixes that must be made, like changing few osCommerce stock pictures with custom made and some marketing but overall this is how it will look. I have used large header again but this time it loads a lot faster (it is 5 times smaller after optimization). If you are going to criticize it please note that this is part of our unique selling point which makes our luxury store to stand out of the crowd. :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

I know I am not completely done, but can?t wait to receive some comments on the new design (layout)? There are some small fixes that must be made, like changing few osCommerce stock pictures with custom made and some marketing but overall this is how it will look. I have used large header again but this time it loads a lot faster (it is 5 times smaller after optimization). If you are going to criticize it please note that this is part of our unique selling point which makes our luxury store to stand out of the crowd.  :thumbsup:

Just some minor points:

Dont like the "Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?"

Hmm Im not sure but I thought you had to put marvelli.co.uk

is an authorized retailer of 2Checkout.com, Inc.

A couple of category pictures are mishaped.

Try slightly increasing size of font on buy now buttons on my screen looks slightly odd..

Hi cymonguk,

Thank you for your points. I have completely forgot to remove the ?Welcome Guest? text. Now it is removed? I don?t like it too. As for the ?2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of marvelli.co.uk? thing, this is a requirement of 2checkout for all of their merchants? This has something to do with the local laws? As for the Buy Now buttons, I have fixed them too?

Cheers.

Hi cymonguk,

Thank you for your points. I have completely forgot to remove the ?Welcome Guest? text. Now it is removed? I don?t like it too. As for the ?2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of marvelli.co.uk? thing, this is a requirement of 2checkout for all of their merchants? This has something to do with the local laws? As for the Buy Now buttons, I have fixed them too?

Cheers.

I understand that 2checkout request you put this on but I thought it was the other way round, that way round doesnt make sense does it? that they are an authorized retailer of you? If thats what they told you to do then its them that are nuts!

We haven?t done this because we have red in post where customers say that they prefer NOT to see their clothes on models and/or plastic models? What do you think from the point of a customer?

Hi, I don't know if you'd still like a response to this.. but I figured you might appreciate an opinion from someone who buys clothing online a lot, and I know absolutely nothing about design.. so I'm just an "average" person!

Anyway, as far as seeing clothing on models.. I almsot never buy clothing that I haven't first seen on a model, preferable a real person. It makes me think "WOW, look how great it looks on her.. I bet it would make my >insert body part here lol< look good, too!"

That being said, I agree with a previous coment about not having the clothes messy, wrinkled, etc. Your images are very appealing to me, and I think you are doing well. Just make sure to keep the high quality photos up, and I don't think you'll have a problem with most "average" shoppers.

-One bad photo can ruin them all.-

Hope this helps!

-Des

Hello,

little57 thank you very much for your feedback from the point of ?average? person who is buying clothing online ;)?

However, since I have remake the design of the new web site didn?t have much feedback. I would like to receive some more feedback from you guys. What do you think about the design, is it user friendly, what do you like and what you don?t. Please give me honest opinions because this is what really helps me. I see people coming from this forum but nothing as a feedback.

Thank you in advance?

Archived