• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

1st attempt

Feedback is welcomed. site is not quite complete (eg catalog not full and a few little things need to be tweaked) but it is essentially all there.

http://www.diveandfish.com.au

Initial impressions are good. I was dreading another stock site but was pleasently surprised.

The quality of your thumbnails are letting down a nice clean crisp site.

Oh and "Terminal Tackle" sounds like a serious medical condition :lol:

Solid.

I agree the thumbs need some work.

You might want to make sure each product has a unique title.

The store might be a good canidate to have a fixed width.

The shopping cart icon looks a little out of place to me. You might add some logic to only display this box if there is something added to the cart.

It's slightly confusing not to have an intuitive way to return to the main page once you are in a category, product, or account page. A 'home' link would be nice.

I think your store would benifit greatly from additional exposure on search engines if you added dynamic category titles and category descriptions to the category pages.

Also, I would recommend adding an allprods or sitemap page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I take it you know that some of your information pages are empty. Maybe thats one of the things left to do.

I also could not find your address and contact phone number on the site. Customers feel secure knowqing that you can be contacted by other means.

A pet hate oif mine is the advanced search help text. It may just be me, but i think it is better if it relates to items that you sell in your store, rather than computer products.

Some of your product descriptions are a bit short, and those that are longer, take some reading. It may be better if they were broken up into paragraphs. Customers tend to read short bits of eye catching text, and not big long stories.

Some of your categories are empty, but i assume that they will be filled or you would not have put them there.

Finally i must agree with wizardandwars, that i found it annoying not being able to get back to your home page. Its a nice looking site, but the ease of navigation lets it down.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

"Terminal Tackle"

heh :)

The quality of your thumbnails are letting down a nice clean crisp site.

yes. any pointers to a good contrib would be appreciated. I need to keep them all the same size tho at the clients request.

You might want to make sure each product has a unique title.

The store might be a good canidate to have a fixed width.

The shopping cart icon looks a little out of place to me. You might add some logic to only display this box if there is something added to the cart.

It's slightly confusing not to have an intuitive way to return to the main page once you are in a category, product, or account page. A 'home' link would be nice.

I think your store would benifit greatly from additional exposure on search engines if you added dynamic category titles and category descriptions to the category pages.

Also, I would recommend adding an allprods or sitemap page

agreed on all points. The fixed width thing is again up to the client. if it were up to me i would also fix the width.

RE home linking. i had the pathway in there before but i was getting problems with the product not display in the pathway when it was the active page.?? anyone else heard of that?

site map... :thumbsup: ..good call

A pet hate oif mine is the advanced search help text. It may just be me, but i think it is better if it relates to items that you sell in your store, rather than computer products.

never noticed that..thanks another good point

Some of your product descriptions are a bit short, and those that are longer, take some reading. It may be better if they were broken up into paragraphs.

told the client the same thing yesterday. They are populating the database.

I take it you know that some of your information pages are empty. Maybe thats one of the things left to do.

yep thanks

Well i must say that was a very pleasing response. all very helpful points there and i will be using all of them. please if you see anything else let me know, it is much appreciated.

regards

alex

just added a sitemap and thumb contib.. god the thumbs look better now :)

I did notice you don't have a "Home" button, this might come in handl for those ummm less internet savy individuals, not just the logo linked.

Might I also suggest a "breadcrumbs" somewhere at top.

Just experience tells me that users need these to move around the site without too much trouble.

<!-- Using Template File [includes/sts_template.html) --> Remove this call.

Line 306, column 19: "TR" not finished but containing element ended

</table></td>

Line 319, column 4: end tag for element "TD" which is not open

</td>

Line 405, column 6: end tag for "TR" which is not finished

</tr>

Line 427, column 7: end tag for element "TABLE" which is not open

</table>

Just some things I noticed.

:thumbsup:

I did notice you don't have a "Home" button, this might come in handl for those ummm less internet savy individuals, not just the logo linked.

Might I also suggest a "breadcrumbs" somewhere at top.

Just experience tells me that users need these to move around the site without too much trouble.

yeh i agree but i had trouble with the breadcrumbs..the link for the product wouldnt work when the product was the active page..is this supposed to be the case?

yeh i agree but i had trouble with the breadcrumbs..the link for the product wouldnt work when the product was the active page..is this supposed to be the case?

Add $breadcrumbs to any part of the template you wish to add breadcrumbs.

Also look at edited post above.

Add $breadcrumbs to any part of the template you wish to add breadcrumbs.

Also look at edited post above.

yeh i understand that but the breadcrumbs werent working properly for me..

Archived