Sign in to follow this  
newoscfan

STS + dynamic drop-down lists

I've read and searched through the STS forums, but have not seen anything about creating dynamic drop-down search boxes with STS.

I know how to approach this conceptually, but I don't know how to implement it using OSC and STS, so I'm turning to you experts for help...

...I'd like to use OSC + STS to set up an online wine store, where the user can select the year, country and grape variety from dynamic drop-down lists and then click on a search/submit button to search for any matching wines I may have in stock.

These drop-down boxes should be located in the header, which will be common to all pages and populated from a new table in mysql, created with something like:

CREATE TABLE `table_wine` (

`wine_id` VARCHAR(10),

`wine_year` VARCHAR(4),

`wine_country` VARCHAR(30),

`winery_name` VARCHAR(30),

`grape_variety` VARCHAR(30),

`bottle_quantity` VARCHAR(4),

`wine_description` VARCHAR(30),

PRIMARY KEY (wine_id)

}

The first drop-down list (year) should have a default value of "Year" and be populated by all the years in my new db table (`table_wine`).

The second and third drop-down lists (country and grape variety) should be disabled until the user selects an actual year value from the first drop-down (other than the default "Year").

We can have an onSubmit() for the first drop-down box, so that when the user selects an actual year, then that year information is sent back to the server, where we can run a db query for all the wines in that year to populate the second and third drop-down boxes, before redisplaying the same page to the user so he/she can search for wines.

In other words, after selecting the "year", the page is automatically reloaded with the second and third drop-down lists populated with "country" and "grape variety" information for the selected year, so that the user can select one from each drop-down box before clicking on the search/submit button to search for wines that match that criteria.

Can anyone please give me some orientation on how I should implement this?

Thank you,

SR

I've read and searched through the STS forums, but have not seen anything about creating dynamic drop-down search boxes with STS.

I know how to approach this conceptually, but I don't know how to implement it using OSC and STS, so I'm turning to you experts for help...

...I'd like to use OSC + STS to set up an online wine store, where the user can select the year, country and grape variety from dynamic drop-down lists and then click on a search/submit button to search for any matching wines I may have in stock.

These drop-down boxes should be located in the header, which will be common to all pages and populated from a new table in mysql, created with something like:

CREATE TABLE `table_wine` (

`wine_id` VARCHAR(10),

`wine_year` VARCHAR(4),

`wine_country` VARCHAR(30),

`winery_name` VARCHAR(30),

`grape_variety` VARCHAR(30),

`bottle_quantity` VARCHAR(4),

`wine_description` VARCHAR(30),

PRIMARY KEY (wine_id)

}

The first drop-down list (year) should have a default value of "Year" and be populated by all the years in my new db table (`table_wine`).

The second and third drop-down lists (country and grape variety) should be disabled until the user selects an actual year value from the first drop-down (other than the default "Year").

We can have an onSubmit() for the first drop-down box, so that when the user selects an actual year, then that year information is sent back to the server, where we can run a db query for all the wines in that year to populate the second and third drop-down boxes, before redisplaying the same page to the user so he/she can search for wines.

In other words, after selecting the "year", the page is automatically reloaded with the second and third drop-down lists populated with "country" and "grape variety" information for the selected year, so that the user can select one from each drop-down box before clicking on the search/submit button to search for wines that match that criteria.

Can anyone please give me some orientation on how I should implement this?

Thank you,

SR

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...earch,drop+down