• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution]Paypal IPN - Devosc

devosc

You mentioned earlier that the customer got the 'osCommerce Order Confrimation' email, the SendExtraEmailTo then occurs at the same time?

actually i was wrong it was just paypal confirmation

also i have changed the digest title "PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN Debug Email Notification" and it is changed in admin, however I got the default title in the actual debug email sent to me.

Edited by fresco

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd, shouldn't be having that much problem, what happens when you try the IPN Test Panel, what type of response is shown on the screen?

When the order is first pre-stored (just before transfering to PayPal) then in the admin for that order is should say something like:

No PayPal Transaction Information Available (asdasdad807fsd9f7sdf0fsdf)

where the (dasdasdasd) is the md5 digest of the transaction.

If the digest is not showing then something is severly wrong, especially since nothing in the installation docs touches areas where the digest is utilized.

If you try the IPN Test Panel and just get a blank white screen then in paypal/application_top.inc.php uncomment the error_reporting offf.

Also have a look at catalog/ipn.php at the top there is some commented code for a debugWriteFile function uncomment it and place a chmod 777 ipn.txt in the catalog root.

You can use this function to debug exactly where the script is failing, but in the commented section already there is 'debugWriteFile($postString,"w+");' which will first dump the pst vars into the file and then use 'debugWriteFile('Some breakpoint message');' anywhere below (it will append to ipn.txt) untill you find the problem etc...

hth.

Regardless of what I enter in the Test Panel, I get:

An error has occured, mostly likely because the Custom field in the IPN Test Panel did not have a valid transaction id.

I may be missing something there. However, the previous testing I mentioned was all done in the sandbox and nothing worked as it should.

One thing that really loses me is the error that I and a few others have encountered whereas neither the store owner nor the customer gets the order email for PayPal orders. If the order shows in the admin and customer side, shouldn't the order email get sent?

One thing that really loses me is the error that I and a few others have encountered whereas neither the store owner nor the customer gets the order email for PayPal orders. If the order shows in the admin and customer side, shouldn't the order email get sent?

The order is pre-stored prior to the customer being transfered to PayPal where they actually pay, means the order confirmation email is not sent untill the IPN has been received notifying that the payment_status is 'Completed', at which time the stock inventory is also updated and if the product is downloadable will then be made available.

Sounds like something is being skipped in the IPN test.

[1] Checkout via the store and stop when you get to PayPal.

[1a] Look at the db table orders_session_info you will see the transaction details there such as the customers first and last name, the transaction signature, and the payment amounts (bear in mind these amount may of been converted due to PayPal currency settings etc).

[2] Go into osC-Admin and find that order, it will be in a Pending 'Order Status' and will say no transaction history available but will give the digest transaction signature.

This transaction signature should be the same as whats in the orders_session_info table for that txn.

[3] Higlight and copy the txn signature

[4]Go to the IPN Test Panel (making sure that Test Mode is On).

[5] Select the Transaction type, choose 'cart'

[6] Paste the transaction signature copied in [3] into the Custom field

[7] Paste it again into the Transaction ID field.

Note that Payment Status is already set to Completed.

[8] Now enter the Gross amount that is to be Paid to PayPal for this you need to look at the orders_session_info table because the amounts may have been converted etc...

[9] Submit the Test IPN.

[10] read through the info posted, it should list all the ways submitted and more importantly whether the IPN was inserted.

[11] Now check the order in osC Admin, view the Transaction Log, it should now be updated with date, status and amounts etc.

Question once clicking the osC order confirmation button during checkout you then see the PayPal checkout splash screen?

Nines times out of ten the reason for seemingly not receiving IPNs when testing either via PayPal or their Sandbox is because the Primary Email and Business ID is not configured correctly.

(illiea) Even if you change the Digest Key does not mean you will change the title of the debug email.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -- Albert Einstein

ok, Greg

looks like everything is going well,

the reason emails not being sent by osC is that payment needed to be accepted via paypal - i have no idea why (some customers go strait and for some you need to manualy accept payment, for example me - i have two accounts and use one to pay another for testing purposes)

So when I have accepted payment osC emails got dispatched to customer (me) and shop owner (me2)

What threw me off is the snapshot in your "Introduction" file that shows paypal box with "accept" button in action column. So it (accept button) was not there for my order and I have gotten confirmation emails from paypal so I assumed it went through....

Perhaps something needs to added to the code to make it fill up that column not only if order is On Hold or any other way incorrect (This order status is used when the Cart Test has failed, eg. the expected payment amount did not match.)

what do you think???

Edited by fresco

The accept button is currently only shown when the cart test fails, per introduction.

I felt it neccessary to enable the store owner to be able to finalize the order should they wish since just informing them that Cart Test failed would not be sufficient especially if the difference between amounts expected and received is trivial. It took quite abit of work just to get (Accept) the order to be able to be completed via the admin while reusing the same code by the IPN in the catalog section.

There is currently no other use for the action field. If you don't want to accept the IPN/order then delete the order as usual in the admin.

For example, there is currently nothing that can be done via the osC Admin if the payment is pending due to the store owner having to manually accept the payment via their PayPal account profile, maybe at a later date PayPal might make this type of web service available.

If in the PayPal transaction log it says Pending, then once you click on the details link you will then see the pending_reason, e.g multi_currency, address etc...

I think now that you've got the hang of it you should be pleased.

Later on I will try and improve the Transaction Details page to include a history of related notifications as per PayPal, but PayPal shows actual Txns whereas for us it will be a combination of both txns and notfications for the 'same' order/transaction.

I think now that you've got the hang of it you should be pleased.

I was and am pleased from the moment I have realized how clear and helpful the install is. And i got extremely pleased when i had it installed. so no worries about that.

as a suggestion it would be great to have it somhow work with subscriptions - the only thing I can wish for is to combine links contribution with yours to create paid listings/directory add on.

I am installing CCGV any pointers aside from the posts a few pages up?

Greg,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

To answer your questions:

- Primary Email and Business ID are configured correctly.

- Yes, I see the splash screen.

Moving on ...

I followed your instructions to a T (and in order of course) and have made a little headway. After proceedig to PayPal, the order was listed in my Admin in 'Orders' as Pending, but not at all in 'PayPal IPN'. Should it have been? I then ran the IPN Test Panel and got these results in addition to all of the info above it:

------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Response

INVALID

Connection Type

curl: 1 transport: domain: www.paypal.com port:

Email and Business ID config

Store Configuration Settings

Primary PayPal Email Address: [email protected]

Business ID: [email protected]

PayPal Configuration Settings

IPN INSERTED

IPN 1 has been inserted

Once I ran that, the order *did* show up in 'PayPal IPN' in Admin with the pertinent info. Also, a few minutes after the order had been updated to completed, I got the order email as did the 'customer.'

Does everything look ok here?

p.s. Due to the complexity of the mod, I just kind of assumed there might be a few complications here and there, but I've had my eye on this thread for some time and your great support is what convinced me to install it. You can tell right from the start that both the mod and it's developer are top-notch. I really do appreciate your help. :)

Hi Todd, you should now be able to test via the sandbox or paypal.com, note that when testing via the IPN Test Panel it cannot determine whether your primary email and business id are configured correctly according to your settings either with paypal nor their sandbox. Otherwise looks good.

first of all, thanks for the great contribution.

I'm afraid of saying that I have difficulties to test IPN panel.. this is how I did..

After installed the latest version of the contribution, I did checkout via the store using a created user(by myself). After clicked "Confirm" button, the page was automatically transferred to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

As you said, I stopped and logged into OSC-Admin and found the order I just created. On this page, I didn't see any signature ID. It said

a.gif

Above the PayPal logo, there is only information like

Customer's address, telephone number, email address, shipping, and billing address. That's it.

My PayPal settings are here..

Enable PayPal Module
True

E-Mail Address
[email protected]

Business ID
[email protected]

Transaction Currency
Only USD

Payment Zone
--none--

Set Pending Notification Status
Pending

Set Order Status
Processing

Set On Hold Order Status
On Hold

Set Canceled Order Status
Canceled

Synchronize Invoice
False

Sort order of display.

Background Color
White

Processing logo
oscommerce.gif

Store logo

PayPal Page Style Name

Include a note with payment
No

Shopping Cart Method
Aggregate

Enable PayPal Shipping Address
No

Digest Key
PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN    (for Digest Key, I don't know what to put so I leave it as default like PayPal_Shiping_Car_IPN)

Test Mode
On

Cart Test
On

Debug Email Notifications
Yes

Debug Email Notification Address
[email protected]

PayPal Domain
www.paypal.com

Return URL behavior

I don't think I have an installation problem.. but my setting might go wrong... way..

But, one thing for sure is Primary Email and Business ID are configured correctly.

I'll appreciate for any help.

Thank.

jjanguda

Hi jjanguda,

No PayPal Transaction Information Available (193030d3874bcdf86e901443ad5637d6)
The Transaction Signature has been higlighted above, compare with your first picture to see.

oh.. thanks I just tired to test IPN and it seems working now... this is the reseult i got.

Test Complete 

PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN Debug Email Notification 
[email protected] 
[email protected] 
verify_sign=PAYPAL_SHOPPING_CART_IPN-TEST_TRANSACTION-00000000000000 
payment_date=04:02:58 Sep 17, 2004 PDT 
digestKey=9649d3edc68b63f177143a965fade074 
first_name=jjang 
last_name=guda
payer_business_name= 
[email protected] 
payer_id=PAYERID000000 
payer_status=verified 
invoice= 
address_name=jjanguda
address_street=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
address_city=New York
address_state=New York 
address_zip=11111
address_country=United States 
address_status=confirmed 
payment_type=instant 
txn_type=cart 
custom=193030d3874bcdf86e901443ad5637d6 
txn_id=193030d3874bcdf86 
parent_txn_id= 
num_cart_items=1 
notify_version=1.6 
memo=PAYPAL_SHOPPING_CART_IPN TEST 
mc_currency=USD 
mc_gross=0.01 
mc_fee=0.01 
settle_amount=0.00 
settle_currency= 
exchange_rate=0.00 
payment_status=Completed 
pending_reason= 
reason_code= 
submit=Test IPN 

PayPal Response 
INVALID 

Connection Type 

IPN INSERTED 
IPN 2 has been inserted 

Cart Test 
Invalid Cart Test 
Store (converted) order total: 0.02 USD 
PayPal MC Total: 0.01 USD ?

how do you think?

There are a few things that I want to make sure for settings..

When my store goes live, things I have to change compared with

presettings above are...

1. Set Test Mode off.

How about digest key? Can I just leave it as PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN instead of using signature ID like 193030d3874bcdf86e901443ad5637d6?

Besides, is there another setting that I have change when i go live?

BTW, these signature ID is just for a testing?

When i set test mode off, ipn will be automatically generated?

Once again..

Thanks for the great contribution.

jjanguda

Edited by jjanguda

[8] Now enter the Gross amount that is to be Paid to PayPal for this you need to look at the orders_session_info table because the amounts may have been converted etc...

I also just finished IPN Test Panel successfully..though.. I have a question for you. In the IPN Test Panel, there are boxes called MC Gross and MC Fee. What are thoese values exactly? I guess MC Gross means the toal amount that a customer should pay. How about MC Fee? Is that money that paypal charges on my account? According to Bussiness account the rate fee is 2.9% + $0.30(for standard rate fee).

When my store goes live, do I have to fill something like IPN Panel? Or simply I can find every order that was placed by my customers in the admin page or by the debug email notification?

I think the beauty of your contribution is that sellers get notified even if buyers did come back to the store at the last stage.

Please let me know how it works... and thank you for your wonderful contrib. softvoice

jjanguda,

Notice that in your above IPN Test results, the Cart Test Failed, becuase you did not enter the correct amount.

For live production at minum, set test mode off, set domain to www.paypal.com, and you can change the digest key to whatever you like.

The digest key plays an essential role in the contribution, and it is used to generate a unique transaction signature for every order.

You will not need the transaction signature, since when in live mode (or using the sandbox) everything will be automated.

softvoice, your assumptions about mc_gross and mc_fee are correct.

Per above everything will be automated once in live production mode (or using the sandbox).

hth.

hi, I'd better ask my question here.. BTW, thanks for your great contribution.

when order doesn't appear in admin, installed paypal_IPN, paypal_ipn will take care of it... even though I didn't test it...

When a customer does not go back to the store, the order he made will not be displayed in admin order page..

if I use this contribution, I can find what products he ordered.

Then, how can I know that information? Where can I see such info?

Can I still see it in the admin page? or I'm just gonna get an email?

How about my customer? Will he going to get an email? hmm..

For this part.. i guess he will get an email from paypal(when he paid

with credit card without having a paypal account.)

But he won't get any email from my store unless I accept and change

the status of the order?

any idea? this is great contribution.. but not used to it.. so kinda.. complicated.

Thank in advance!!

wow.. thanks for your quick response..

I didn't notice that my cart test failed..

I changed my product price to $0.01 and its shipping cost was also $0.01.

So the total gross is $0.02. Then what mc value will be?

Even though my cart test failed, the status of the order has been changed to

"On Hold" mode and shows me the "Accept" button. Is tihs the way it works?

I think I put $0.01 for mc gross and $0.01 for mc fee.

it should be $0.02 and $0.01?

this time i tried a different amount of order.

what I see in my admin page is this.

Transaction Activity 
      Date              Status          Details   Action      Gross      Fee      Net Amount  

Sep. 17, 2004          Completed        Details               $164.03    $0.00      $164.03  

In the test ipn panel, I input $164.03 for gross and $0.00 for mc fee.

(In a live store, mc fee will be automatically calculated by paypal according to their rate plan?)

PayPal Response 
INVALID 

Connection Type 

IPN INSERTED 
IPN 3 has been inserted

now it's ok?

At the same time, in the admin page, the order has been changed from

pending to processing. In a live store, in this case, can I actually ship a product

to my customer?

Furthermore, in a live store, when a customer didn't pay full amount, "accpet" button under the auction column will be displayed?

Thanks for your continous help!!

gregbaboolal,

thanks for your help.

All of the sudden.... I wondered if a customer wants to cancel the order or change their order... or sometimes the product he ordered is out of stock ... then.. I gotto do something... hmm... is there a way I can handle this kind of situation? and do you know any other contributions which might be used in this particular case... without interruptting paypal ipn coding?

this should have been the same issue that lots of paypal ipn users face...

how do you take care of this kind of matter?

did you install any contributions like order editing?

hmm.. how about if my customer wants to add more products after they paid..already?

I have to think of all possible situations for assisting my customers better...

please give me your advice.

thank you.

When a customer does not go back to the store, the order he made will not be displayed in admin order page..

if I use this contribution, I can find what products he ordered.

Then, how can I know that information? Where can I see such info?

Can I still see it in the admin page? or I'm just gonna get an email?

hi, I'd better ask my question here.. BTW, thanks for your great contribution.

when order doesn't appear in admin, installed paypal_IPN, paypal_ipn will take care of it... even though I didn't test it...

How about my customer? Will he going to get an email? hmm..

For this part.. i guess he will get an email from paypal(when he paid

with credit card without having a paypal account.)

But he won't get any email from my store unless I accept and change

the status of the order?

any idea? this is great contribution.. but not used to it.. so kinda.. complicated.

Thank in advance!!

Obviously I'm not expert as I was just here myself asking questions a few days ago. ;) I can answer some though.

It will appear in your Admin in 'Pending'status before the customer is passed to PayPal (or as they are passed?). You will not get the email payment is verified via the IPN or (I assume) until you manually change the order status (should there be an error). The customer will receive the email at the same time you do.

Yes the contribution is a major one but Greg's instructions are outstanding. I had no problems with install at all ... just needed a little push in the right direction when it came to testing. :)

I can also recommend going ahead with the optional new order status step in the install. At first I didn't realize the point of it, but now with a better understanding of how the contribution works, I think a seperate 'PayPal Pending' status is beneficial.

gregbaboolal,

thanks for your help.

All of the sudden.... I wondered if a customer wants to cancel the order or change their order... or sometimes the product he ordered is out of stock ... then.. I gotto do something... hmm... is there a way I can handle this kind of situation? and do you know any other contributions which might be used in this particular case... without interruptting paypal ipn coding?

this should have been the same issue that lots of paypal ipn users face...

how do you take care of this kind of matter?

did you install any contributions like order editing?

hmm.. how about if my customer wants to add more products after they paid..already?

I have to think of all possible situations for assisting my customers better...

please give me your advice.

thank you.

Order Editor I believe it is called. The coding is still a bit shaky IMHO, but it should work ok. They would have to pay up the difference seperately though, unlike if you processed CCs directly offline.

todd, thanks for your help.

As you said,

Order Editor I believe it is called. The coding is still a bit shaky IMHO, but it should work ok. They would have to pay up the difference seperately though, unlike if you processed CCs directly offline.

Can you be more specific? For instance, when a particular product that a customer ordered is currently out of stock. So I have to refund that amount to my customer. In this case, I might use a partial refund function in paypal page and edit an invoice using Order Editor which you refer. On the other hand, what if they want to buy more stuffs after palced order altough there's no fuction like that(they might contact me and ask about it..whether it's possible to change it or not..)? You said customers have to pay the difference seperately... then for those who do not have a paypal account, how do they pay me seperately? If they place another order or so, they have to pay additional shipping charge... so they won't go this way.. I believe..What do you think? If there is a contribution to make this a lot easier.. besides Order Edittor, please let me know... thanks.

Edited by softvoice

I can also recommend going ahead with the optional new order status step in the install. At first I didn't realize the point of it, but now with a better understanding of how the contribution works, I think a seperate 'PayPal Pending' status is beneficial.

What do you mean by that? What aditional optional new order status step do you recommend? As you might know, I have pending, on hold, cancelled, processing, and delivered satus. You mean a peperate satus like 'PayPal Pending' is your choice? All other statuses are obvious.. but my customers might not know what 'PayPal Pending' means... I'm also kina confused.. Can you explain what it simply means?

Todd, I thank you for your advice and help.

Wondering if anyone else has run across this problem...and if you have an answer PLEASE let me know. This is the only thing holding up a site from going live. THANKS!

When installing the PayPal IPN step on checkout.success.php I get this error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in /home/username/public_html/the_store/checkout_success.php on line 28

Here is the code change I am making, and this is based exactly on what it says in the install file....

Change:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the shopping cart page
 if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {
   tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'update')) {
   $notify_string = 'action=notify&';
   $notify = $HTTP_POST_VARS['notify'];
   if (!is_array($notify)) $notify = array($notify);
   for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($notify); $i<$n; $i++) {
     $notify_string .= 'notify[]=' . $notify[$i] . '&';
   }
   if (strlen($notify_string) > 0) $notify_string = substr($notify_string, 0, -1);
?????tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $notify_string));
???}

To:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the shopping cart page
 if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {
   tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'update')) {
   $notify_string = 'action=notify&';
   $notify = $HTTP_POST_VARS['notify'];
   if (!is_array($notify)) $notify = array($notify);
   for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($notify); $i<$n; $i++) {
     $notify_string .= 'notify[]=' . $notify[$i] . '&';
   }
   if (strlen($notify_string) > 0) $notify_string = substr($notify_string, 0, -1);
//begin PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN
?????tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $notify_string));
???} else if ((isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'success')) {
?????PayPal_osC::reset_checkout_cart_session();
???}
//end PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN

Greg,

When attempting to send a test IPN I'm getting the following errors in catalog/ipn.php

Warning: main(includes/languages//attributes_sorter.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/casualfridayswho/www/casualfridayswholesale.com/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 367

Warning: main(includes/languages//attributes_sorter.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/casualfridayswho/www/casualfridayswholesale.com/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 367

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages//attributes_sorter.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/casualfridayswho/www/casualfridayswholesale.com/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 367

I think this has to do with the changes in language handling, or a setting I've missed in the instructions about handling the language definition, as the language definition involved did work before. I'm trying to upgrade from 2.6a to 2.8. The problem revolves around $language not being defined at this point in execution.

David

In paypal/application_top.inc.php (at the bottom) change:

if(isset($PayCash_osC_Order->language)) {
   // include the language translations
   include(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $PayCash_osC_Order->language . '.php');
 } else {

To:

if(isset($PayCash_osC_Order->language)) {

// include the language translations

$language = $PayCash_osC_Order->language;

include(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $PayCash_osC_Order->language . '.php');

} else {

royalfunk, your first if statement is missing it's closing bracket (unless it wasn't posted here).