• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Its time to critique MY store

Jud

I have been critiquing a lot of stores lately... But when I looked at my own store I was a little too embarrassed to put it in my profile. So I got to work redesigning my store, and waalllaaa ... here is My Store . .

Jud

I have been critiquing a lot of stores lately... But when I looked at my own store I was a little too embarrassed to put it in my profile. So I got to work redesigning my store, and waalllaaa ... here is my Store . I think the new one looks a lot better than the Old Store.  The only thing that works is the index page.  But you can use your imagination and just pretend that all the other pages will follow the same design :-) ...

Jud

Hi

Yes the new one looks cleaner than the old one.

Think I like the old categories menu better though.

I would narrow down the height of the top table and the logo to get more of the lower parts of the site within the screen without scrolling.

I think both of the sites has an overall good look.

Zipper

Yer cat menu doesnt work for me. At all. No links.

Hope thats not the case for other potential customers. Am using IE to view BTW - prolly the most forgiving browser on the planet....

I like it better then the old site for sure!!!

Your color scheme is nice on the main page, but when I went to the login page I didn't like that much pink. It is ok for a background around the main white table, but when it is on the whole page I didn't like it. Something about it turns my stomach.(think pepto)

Are you going to put something to the right of your logo? If not that is a lot of wasted real estate at the top of the page.

Other then that, it isn't much of an upgrade from the old site. Looks like you played with the style sheet a little. The product links are going to the old site so i cant see what happens on the catalog pages.

Hi

Yes the new one looks cleaner than the old one.

Think I like the old categories menu better though.

I would narrow down the height of the top table and the logo to get more of the lower parts of the site within the screen without scrolling.

I think both of the sites has an overall good look.

Zipper

I like the way the old categories worked also, but to make my site more "user-friendly" I decided not to use the old category menu (which used javascript and cookies).

Not to mention the old categories were hated by google, and some of my customers couldn't see it for some reason (prolly the cookies and javascript).

Yer cat menu doesnt work for me. At all. No links.

Hope thats not the case for other potential customers. Am using IE to view BTW - prolly the most forgiving browser on the planet....

I will have to agree with you that IE is forgiving (which is why I check my sites in firefox :-)... Which categories are you talking about? the ones on the new site, or the old site? If the categories on the old site don't work, you wouldn't be the first to tell me :-).

I like it better then the old site for sure!!!

Your color scheme is nice on the main page, but when I went to the login page I didn't like that much pink.  It is ok for a background around the main white table, but when it is on the whole page I didn't like it.  Something about it turns my stomach.(think pepto)

Are you going to put something to the right of your logo?  If not that is a lot of wasted real estate at the top of the page.

Other then that, it isn't much of an upgrade from the old site.  Looks like you played with the style sheet a little.  The product links are going to the old site so i cant see what happens on the catalog pages.

As stated in my first post, we are commenting on just the front page :-) ... at least until I make the changes througout the site. The login page will be centered like all the rest of the pages. I am going to put some kind of logo to the right of my logo. Just trying to figure out what to put there :-).

[edit] Fixed spelling mistakes [/edit]

Jud

If you like that old menu you might look at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2844 New DHTML categories menu. It is based on jscookmenu library www.cs.ucla.edu/~heng/JSCookMenu/ and the osCommerce module even writes a "no script" menu so browsers that don't have javascript on still see your menu. EASY TO INSTALL!! No cookies either. If you go to the menu site there is a great tutorial on using the menu so you can modifiy it to look any way you want. That's what I an using on www.flowersbydorcas.com/

Just not big on DHTML ... I know that it looks good, but I will just stick to css.

Jud

Well I wouldn't want to push something on you you don't want, but that is the nice thing about the jscookmenu. It is totally controled by css. Thats wat make it so versitile.

The apostrophes (sp?) in your testimonial don't show up correctly for me (IE on Windows XP). It's a jumble of characters.

Although you have a beautiful necklace pictured, I didn't immediately know what you were selling. (Your models teeth are so clean, and the biggest word on the page was "Smile", so my very first impression was that you might be selling teeth whitening products... LOL!) Maybe some of that BIG, EMPTY green space at the top could be used for a tag line like "Your one stop shop for fine jewelry" or some such.

Definitely agree with the previous poster who said the area to the right of your logo needs something. :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Adrienne

haha, im working on something to go there as I type :-) ... I think I will make it a picture with a lot of our jewelry, so I can also make sure that people know we sell jewelry and fashion watches :-)

[edit] and not teeth whitener :-) ^^ [/edit]

Jud

Filled the blank space and tried to do something about jewelry on the front :-) ... I tried not to use a table for the info, but it looks like I am going to have to because the divs don't align right in IE, only in internet explorer.

Jud

I really like the clean look the site has got going on.

The search bing so big kinda wigged me out. Never seen one that big. lol

Font sizes in the Information box being bigger than the rest kind of throws off the balance to me.

Not sure how to say what I am thinking but the front page is missing that "something" to make it stand out. There's like no pop. lol

Maybe changing style by design to fine jewelry in a fancy font or something would help.

all in all though i really like it

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Wendy, are u using IE? The site looks totally different in IE as opppsed to firefox. I am going to change some of the code to make it more consistant in both browsers.

Haha, I used the big search because its just my style ... easier on the eyes, and a little different. Thanx for the input wendy.

Jud

The PNG transparency doesn't look right in IE ... it looks a lot better in Firefox. Also, there is a row of featured products under the main image on the front page, but it doesn't show up in IE for some reason.

Jud

Looks good in Firefox, once the missing pictures shows up in IE it i would have to say that this turned out to be quite an improvment over the old shop.... B)

Hi, very nice store. I like the clean green look. The large input boxes are fun. Product images are great. I had once used the gray buttons on my store. I can't stand them now, they also don't look too appealing with your layout.

Two things that would improve your store:

1) Get rid of the 'login for price'. there is absolutely no reason to use that. you will lose customers and it just makes the site feel impersonal.

2) You HAVE TO improve your categories. Make the cat box stand out. That will likely be the first link clicked and it just looks out of place when you have the information content in larger font than navigation. Also, even better would be to make tabs or image text links somewhere in the header for the main content (rings, bracelets, charms, etc)

3) The store needs more content. There are a lot of jewelry osc stores out there and you should check them out for ideas. I spent 15 minutes at your store and I feel like I saw everything. A nice thing to have is maybe a ring size chart or explanations about types of diamonds (if u sell them)

additionally:

1) The "Result Pages: [<< Prev] 1 2 ..." stands out too much. edit the stylesheet and make it the same color as your other <A> tags

2) In your product_info, you don't display the name of the product. Just the model number (with the model number underneath it): ie 80580 [80580]

3) Company name should not be required in Create Account. Also, download the Country-State Selector 1.2.0 by Steve Lionel. Its very useful and solves some issues in other pages like checkout shipping and billing address

4) Create account success has no white bg. Infact, get rid of create account success and have the customer be redirected to checkout shipping. no need for additional checkout steps!

5) Once you enter something in the ADDITIONAL COMMENTS during checkout. and then submit form, and then you decide to remove the comment, YOU CANT (i have this same problem in my store..not really anything needing fixed but just so you know)

6) Make a 404 error page

7) I don't understand volume pricing. There is a volume price for each item but it doesn't say how many you have to buy to get that price. In your Volume information page it just says you have to do $400 to get 25%

hope some of that helps

Looks really good!

Just one question - what is the i with a circumflex all about in this line:

Approx. Length 1 1/4? Width 1 1/4?

I agree about the dentistry angle thoug. My wife's dentist has just changed its name to 'smile', annoying probably 98% of their patients in the process but that's another story!

Hi, very nice store. I like the clean green look. The large input boxes are fun. Product images are great. I had once used the gray buttons on my store. I can't stand them now, they also don't look too appealing with your layout.

Two things that would improve your store:

1) Get rid of the 'login for price'. there is absolutely no reason to use that. you will lose customers and it just makes the site feel impersonal.

2) You HAVE TO improve your categories. Make the cat box stand out. That will likely be the first link clicked and it just looks out of place when you have the information content in larger font than navigation. Also, even better would be to make tabs or image text links somewhere in the header for the main content (rings, bracelets, charms, etc)

3) The store needs more content. There are a lot of jewelry osc stores out there and you should check them out for ideas. I spent 15 minutes at your store and I feel like I saw everything. A nice thing to have is maybe a ring size chart or explanations about types of diamonds (if u sell them)

additionally:

1) The "Result Pages: [<< Prev]  1  2 ..." stands out too much. edit the stylesheet and make it the same color as your other <A> tags

2) In your product_info, you don't display the name of the product. Just the model number (with the model number underneath it): ie 80580 [80580]

3) Company name should not be required in Create Account. Also, download the Country-State Selector 1.2.0 by Steve Lionel. Its very useful and solves some issues in other pages like checkout shipping and billing address

4) Create account success has no white bg. Infact, get rid of create account success and have the customer be redirected to checkout shipping. no need for additional checkout steps!

5) Once you enter something in the ADDITIONAL COMMENTS during checkout. and then submit form, and then you decide to remove the comment, YOU CANT (i have this same problem in my store..not really anything needing fixed but just so you know)

6) Make a 404 error page

7) I don't understand volume pricing. There is a volume price for each item but it doesn't say how many you have to buy to get that price. In your Volume information page it just says you have to do $400 to get 25%

hope some of that helps

hehe,

Thanks for all of the comments jiggy361. You forgot to look at our About Us page and our FAQ :-). We are a wholesale company and sell only to the trade. So if you don't have a company name, you can't buy from us. We can't just go about showing our prices to everyone. So to make at least an attempt to hide prices from non-businesses, we require you to create an account. (I think that explains points 1 and additional point #3) ... As for the country and state selector, I don't believe that contrib will work for international buyers. All the other advice has been taken and will be used :-) ...

[edit] The volume pricing is easy. It is not based on the quantity you buy but rather it is based on price. In the jewelry industry it is about having variety, not 20 of one item. So we allow our buyers to buy a variety of items, and when they reach $400, they get an additional 25% off (so $400 is really $300).

[/edit]

Looks really good!

Just one question - what is the i with a circumflex all about in this line:

Approx. Length 1 1/4? Width 1 1/4?

I agree about the dentistry angle thoug. My wife's dentist has just changed its name to 'smile', annoying probably 98% of their patients in the process but that's another story!

u know, I have seen those and was wondering what they were myself. I think that our last in-house photographer/osC_data_entering did that. I will have to go through all of the descriptions and edit those ...

Jud

Looks pretty good.

Only 2 things I see that really stick out like a sore thumb.

First is the seach box being so freakishly large, as Wendy said.

Second is the default osC font in the header nav and infobox headers. That font doens't really match the rest of the site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Nice looking site, and i had a quick look and notice two things. The first being the advanced search help, which i feel should relate to things that are sold in the store. I may be wrong, but i think it would look better. You also have a missing gif in your advanced search page

Secondly i thought some of the product descriptions were very short. Maybe trade buyers know what they want just by looking at a good picture.

That bring me on to the third and final point. It wasnt until i look at your FAQs that i saw that you were a trade seller. Could this not be pointed out somewhere at the front of your store, or on the creaste account page.

Apart from that it looks a clean store and easy to navigate.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

thanks Steve,

I have actually never even looked at that page. And the advanced search page isn't even formatted right! I will have to work on it :-)

Jud

Chris,

I will have to get on the font thing. I am really not good at the small stuff like that, but when you mention it, the font really doesn''t go well with the rest of the site. Thanx man,

Jud

guys guys guys,

this is a live shop, so please don't create test orders ...

I was this close --> | |

to shipping an order to "test test" from phoenix, AL ;-)

Jud

Nice clean, professional looking site, excellent first impression. Have to agree with most of the comments,

I also didn't know what you sold when it opened up.

I had no idea it was a trade only site

Excellent images but a few too small descriptions for me.

Maybe have more images per item. I'm obviously not trade, but i think i would want to see more detail (ie more images) before i bought jewellery on-line, especially if i was buying quite a few items. (if i were trade).

I don't like the massive search box and create account page boxes.

Having not registered or anything, do you confirm a customer can shop on your site after registering or can anyone see your prices immediately when registered? If this is the case and i was a potential competitor i would just register a load of rubbish to check out your prices.

Anyway, top job up to now and good luck. :thumbsup:

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Archived