• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] More Category Boxes

More Category Boxes 1.0

June 29, 2005

Author: Jared Call

Dignified Contributor: Gregory Baboolal (devosc)

This contribution can be downloaded from: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3327

What this contrib does:

========================

This contribution adds the following features:

- Add up to 10 additional category boxes to the left column, each of which can contain up to 25 admin-selectable top level categories.

- Each new category box may be enabled/disabled.

- The default categories box may be enabled/disabled.

- Each new category box has a customizable name (infobox heading).

Caveats / Known Issues:

=======================

- Each category box is updated independently in admin. When you click the "update" button, you are updating that box ONLY.

- You may only select parent categories to display at top level in each infobox (i.e. this contrib does not alter the standard osCommerce category tree structure).

- This contribution does not yet support apostrophes in infobox names.

- Categories still follow the same sorting order specified in the osCommerce Admin >> Catalog >> Categories/Products

NOTE: The customer for whom this was written wanted to use up to 50 categories per category box. If you want to do this, use the files with -50 in the name. For example, instead of using more_categories.php, rename more_categories-50.php to more_categories.php and use that one instead.

NOTE2: The includes/boxes/more_categories-50.php file also includes the CategoriesBox Enhancement contribution code. It should be easy enough, with a diff utility (Beyond Compare, WinMerge, CompareIt, WinDiff, etc) to see the differences between the includes/boxes/more_categories.php and includes/boxes/more_categories-50.php.

(all of this and more is in the readme.txt in the contrib download)

Edited by jcall

hi , thanks for sahring your work and idea here ... i hope u wont take it bad , but could you provide a screenshot ?

is it possible to enable/disable each categories box in the admin ?

best regards

MS2

The user side is _presently_ in action at www.allyallcalls.com/osc/catalog . I'll get screenshots of the user side and the admin side and upload them somewhere.

-jared

Jared,

Quality contribution, worked a dream on both my sites and very easy to install and worked first time..

If anyone wants to see it working, you'll find it here - please be aware it's a live site..

FHSelect

Graham

Hey Jared-great contrib!

It looks like it is causing "?infoBox=0" "?infoBox=1" etc to to be appended to the url. is there a way to get rid of this-or is it intended?

Quidquid latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.

That may be there to track which box we're expanding the menu in - - don't remember off the top of my head.

I'll have a look. That parameter is used in admin to determine which box we're updating, but I'm not sure for the catalog side.

-jared

Is it possible to make those category boxes in the content area (in the middle) instead of the table containing the products with prices to be somthing like the following example:

http://www.otlob.com/otlob/menus/MMenu_367.asp

I have already made the quantity box and the prices are there, but I need to devide it like the URL above to be like a restaurant menu.

Not that I'm aware of. Shouldn't be, as EasyPopulate just imports/extracsts data into the database. More Category Boxes just manages how that data is displayed, but doesn't change the products/categories at all.

-jared

Should be. Try adding it into the index.php as a module, similar to this code that's used for a similar function, also in index.php:

<tr>
           <td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td>
         </tr>

Instead of specifing DIR_WS_MODULES, you just specify DIR_WS_BOXES .

-jared

Hi, I installed the contribution. The following is from the installation instructions:

This contrib has 2 administration areas.  The first one is simply to enable/disable the "normal" categories box.  This is configured via Admin >> Configuration >> More Categories.  The second one is to enable/disable various category boxes and categories within each box.  That is configured in Admin >> Categories >> More Categories.

I found the first (Admin >> Configuration >> More Categories) but not the second (Admin >> Categories >> More Categories).

Does anyone have an idea?

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulties with Admin>>Catalog>>More Categories which my current rudimentary knowledge of PHP can't help me with.

In the screenshot below, you can see that after "Select a Category" and under "Action" there is blank space.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot

screenshot.jpg

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulties with Admin>>Catalog>>More Categories which my current  rudimentary knowledge of PHP can't help me with.

In the screenshot below, you can see that after "Select a Category" and under "Action" there is blank space.

I seem to have found the the source of the problem : my browser. The blank space only appears in IE6, and seems to slow the browser down a lot. I tried the same Admin page in Opera and it works fine. Any thoughts?

Are you using the 25 (stock) version or the 50 version? It can slow down IE a bunch waiting for all of that data to come back.

-jared

Are you using the 25 (stock) version or the 50 version?  It can slow down IE a bunch waiting for all of that data to come back.

-jared

I'm using the 25 version. I am running an older version of Internet Explorer (IE6) on Windows 98 Second Edition. I guess some aspect of my system setup (rather old) combined with an old version of Internet Explorer got indigestion.

It works fine with Opera 8 which is a faster browser (and free).

Just for my peace of mind, can you possibly try this from a different PC? I just re-confirmed that my test shop admin (with the 50 version) works with IE.

Thanks!

-jared

Hello

i have just install the contribution it works fine but I have two questions:

1) (i have install YASU2 URL rewriting) and in the URL i have now this http://address/product?infoBox=0

how can i do to delete ?infoBox=0

2) in first time, i would keep the default categorie and add 1 new categorie, but products appeares in both categories, what can i do? :huh:

thanks

Pleymo

Jared, I'm also still interested in seeing the infobox info removed from the end of the url. It's not hugely critical, just unnecessary info in the url getting indexed.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.

Disable your default categories box, then add all of the categories that were in it to an additional category-box and enable it.

Thanks that what i do it's better but I have a new problem (I have this contribution STS Template ) and now it's look like awful (the first box is ok good color and style, the second not at all

if someone use this contribution and/or have an idea

thanks

Pleymo

Cleve - - I'll work on the infobox item in the URL. It may need to be there to keep the right infobox properties, expanding subcats and the like, but I'll look closer.

Pleymo - - I haven't ever tried to make this work with STS, but I'm sure that some modifications would need to be made based on what I remember of the STS structure.

-jared

Just for my peace of mind, can you possibly try this from a different PC?  I just re-confirmed that my test shop admin (with the 50 version) works with IE.

Thanks!

-jared

I tested it on a newer PC, using Internet Explorer, and it seems to be OK, but it seemed a bit slower. Apart from that, it's an excellent contribution once set up.