• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A to Z Theatrical Supply

AtoZTheatrical

We have had this site for quite a while now, but no one here at the office really knows much about how to change things. I am the most comp. knowledgable one here, and I think our site needs a bit of over hauling.....

What do you all think?????

Suggestions????

Where might I go to find someone who can help us fix these problems?

Thanks in advance! :)

www.atoztheatrical.com

Stock osCommerce site.

I would say a total overhaul is required, but if you do nothing else at aleast change that header. A photcopied image (and not a good one) of a letter head for the site header, hmmmm.

Definantly change the header.

The store is just pretty much stock osC. We can't give you very much advice other than "change everything".

Jud

Definantly change the header.

The store is just pretty much stock osC.  We can't give you very much advice other than "change everything".

Jud

I agree.... completely! Header up first, but any specifics as to what priotity and what and how to change?

Any suggestions on where to find someone to help the "change over"? As I say, the owner was "talked into" osCommerce because we could "do everything ourselves", and that is fine, but we are not computer people here, and he was led to believe that it would be much more "user friendly"......

So I am now trying to figure out where to go from here.... and any advice or suggestion, ANY at all, will help greatly.....

I am still trying to remember where to change the header...lol :-"

:-) ...

Just think of a question, any question, and ask it in the general support forum. Please don't take offense, but we aren't going to build your website for you. Get an idea, and if you don't know how to achieve it, we will help you along :-)

Jud

After you have done the header (you don't need to put your letterhead on it ... get loose, be creative (you're theatrical)) ... you need to optimise your images ... even the small ones are HUGE.

The good news is that every step forward has an community of folk in here willing to support it.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Listen mike,

I know that you probably put a lot of work into this store, but it still looks like stock osCommerce, straight out of the box, with a different header image, which, by the way is over 100KB.

Jud

you have to jump in the water to learn to swim. i had no prior knowledge in web development and the forum helped me to do anything i wanted.

start by figuring out what you want your site to look like and what functionality you are after .

then search the forum on how to do the changes. there is almost no limits and no dangers. just make a copy of the file you want to change and you can go back easily

goodluck

Listen mike,

I know that you probably put a lot of work into this store, but it still looks like stock osCommerce, straight out of the box, with a different header image, which, by the way is over 100KB. 

Jud

you have to jump in the water to learn to swim. i had no prior knowledge in web development and  the forum helped me to do anything i wanted.

start by figuring out what you want your site to look like and what functionality you are after .

then search the forum on how to do the changes. there is almost no limits and no dangers. just make a copy of the file you want to change and you can go back easily

goodluck

I understand what all of you are trying to say, but I don't think any of you are understanding my dilema. I work for a boss who doesn't believe in "Websites". Our company is miles behind others in that respect.

Instead of PAYING a web designer to build and maintain a page, the other geniuses I work with opted for osCommerce (they were actually SOLD on osCommerce by a man who was a web designer, and who told us he would help us with the changes). They said "it is easy. Self maintained, we can do it all ourselves." Only problem is all of these people know NOTHING about the internet, e-commerce sites, or the consumer who uses the web to shop. I have been religated to the "Web Guy" now, and I can barely build a "Xanga" site, let alone figure out osCommerce. The boss won't spring to pay someone to help. I am doing all that I can, and it is far from enough. No one explained this site to me, they SOLD it to my superiors. Oh, and the web guy that sold us on the deal.... he disappeared on us after the first month.

I would like it if you would speak to me as if I know nothing, because while you all may feel like you no little, I know far, far less. I don't know how to use this software at all.

For instance,Jud..... I have no idea what is wrong with 100KB?..... Is that too big? Too small? What?

And nana: That all sounds nice, but I have no idea how to "back up" squat. That is how ignorant we are here. I am all for experimention. I want to learn. I am working my tail off, but simply running in circles.

This forum is supposed to be a "community support" forum, but it seems no one actually wants to give "support".

The general answer to a question is "figure it out" Well, that is why I a posting here, fellas.... I was hoping that the "community Support" forum might help "support" me by helping me to "figure it out"

or is there somewhere else, another site I should go to in search of "support" for osCommerce????????

Not trying to be rude, but seriously..... I am only asking for advice, which is what we are all here for, right???

Sure thing, ask a question, and we'll give you an answer.

I have no idea what is wrong with 100KB?..... Is that too big? Too small? What

Yes, a typical header is around 20-30kb max. The entire front page should be under 100KB.

Any other questions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Sure thing, ask a question, and we'll give you an answer.

Yes, a typical header is around 20-30kb max.  The entire front page should be under 100KB.

Any other questions?

THANK YOU!!

Thank you Sir. That helps enormously.

Is there a specific area and problem on my page that you can recommend that I tackle? I am all about working hard, but something specific for me to direct my focus and reasearch more would be helpful, as opposed to "change everything".

Baby Steps....... I know.

Also, can I be directed to somewhere or someone as to how to back up the page so I din't kill it in the "experimentation" process?

Thanks again for the helpful info.... I'll get right on it! :D

atoZ, I feel your pain, I really do! I started out with very little knowledge and have tought myself evrything over the space of 3-4 years (only a few hours a week)

I have now just about completed my first osCommerce site and I think it looks ok, still some problems but I'm almost there. Have a look for yourself My Webpage (NOTE: Looks like I'll have to change my host, his server keeps going down!) Anyway, I have been building this one site for almost 2 years but with a gap of about a year in between where I just didn't have the time so you'll have to be patient!

My first bit of advice is read up as much as you can on... HTML, PHP and SQL try w3schools.com this should give you an insight into most of the basics.

Secondly, start a thread in the general help forum (you can even e-mail when you have done this and I promise to follow it and help where I can)

Lastly, DON'T GIVE UP - like I said before, be patient, rome was built in a day as they say so don't expect miracles overnight. But whatever you do stick at it, it's so rewarding when you see the finished article.

The only other alternative really is give up and pay someone to do it for you - but trust me the feeling you get at the end is worth all the heartache.

THANK YOU!!

Thank you Sir.  That helps enormously. 

Is there a specific area and problem on my page that you can recommend that I tackle?  I am all about working hard, but something specific for me to direct my focus and reasearch more would be helpful, as opposed to "change everything".

Baby Steps....... I know.

Also, can I be directed to somewhere or someone as to how to back up the page so I din't kill it in the "experimentation" process? 

Thanks again for the helpful info.... I'll get right on it! :D

I would probably try to go even smaller than that, even though it is hard. But the smaller you can get it without making it look bad ... the better.

Jud

OK If Im being honest here mate I agree with these guys the site is way too stock and its a shame the web guy took off so I feel the pain!

OS commerce is fine as long as you know what you want, the advantage is that you can do anything literally with it.

Lets go through some real basics:

1. Dont make it difficult for people to buy..

You have got the bog standard setup for accounts, therefore if I want to buy something I have to register, crap, I cant be bothered sorry you lost my business. You need to look at the PWA (password without authentication) contrib. This will mean people can choose whether they register or not.

2. Payment

Look I know Paypal is great but seriously people out in the real world hate it. I mean the number of dropped carts because of paypal only sites is untrue. You need to get your boss to understand this, otherwise you could be selling gold bars and people wouldnt buy.

3. Shipping?

How much is shipping? Your shipping link needs updating no info in there

also no info in privacy or conditions section

The title of the page is "Os Commerce" a bit of a give away mate this needs updating in the "english.php" file.

Layout

Personally I use STS templates, whether you want to or not is upto you. Sts templates allow you to create standard web pages (get Dreamweaver) and then add your content into them through variables. Many people hate the sts templates stuff, and gradually as I learn more about OS Commerce Im moving away but its an easy way to create ok looking sites, try to use as little possible and it will look good.

I would also suggest you try getting into a little flash, (use SWISH if you cant afford Flash), and create your headers in that package, this will allow you to create nice fancy graphics that stream in over the first 10-15 seconds of entering your site reducing the time it takes to load your site (100kb file equates to 10 seconds before someone sees it on dial up).

There are plenty of tutorials out there to do simple menus, these can be integrated by reading info here.

If your boss says he doesnt want to pay for any of these tools (SWISH Dreamweaver) you can buy older copies on ebay. If he is still determined not to, tell him not to bother with the site. To be honest you will get so few purchases from this site unless your prices are extraordinary that it wont be worth the hosting fees.

Archived