• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Absinthe Store

mr_absinthe

Hello, after three months, my first osCommerce shop is born!

Please have a look here. and let me know your comments. I've been looking at the site every day, so I might be overlooking obvious things.

Still testing with NetBanx, PayPal not installed yet and few areas such as testimonials need to be improved.

Absinthe Original Liquor Store

Seeing as you havent got any feedback yet, i will start it off.

On your home page there is too much text. People dont read text, they like pictures. Make the text shorter and add a read more link. Remove the welcoome text at the top of the page, or re word it. It looks bad, as does showing me my ip address.

Your categories listing poages have a green header whilst all the rest are black. Keep it consistant.

On your information pages, sometimes you have a line break, and other times you start a new paragraph. Again keep it cosistant. I prefere to see paragraph breaks, or bullet points as it tends to break up the text.

I would alter your copyright info at the bottom of the page to your site name.

Apart from this, its getting there. Keep up the good work.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thank you very much for your feedback. As expected, if you're looking at it every day, you may not see the obvious...

On your home page there is too much text. People dont read text, they like pictures. Make the text shorter and add a read more link. Remove the welcoome text at the top of the page, or re word it.

I made the text shorter, however I need to have some there mainly to satisfy search engines. I'm not sure about the overall layout of the home page anyway, but at the moment, it could be ok. Welcome text - I've changed "guest" - still not sure if to keep the welcome text there or not.

It looks bad, as does showing me my ip address.

It was there originally to decrease fraud but I'm now recording IP during the checkout, so it's no longer needed in the footer, I guess.

Your categories listing pages have a green header whilst all the rest are black. Keep it consistant.

x-sell v categories, testimonials v categories, I know, I know... I wanted to change it in testimonials and x-sell, however, I haven't been able to figure out how, yet

On your information pages, sometimes you have a line break, and other times you start a new paragraph. Again keep it cosistant. I prefere to see paragraph breaks, or bullet points as it tends to break up the text.

Done, paragraphs look cleaner.

I would alter your copyright info at the bottom of the page to your site name.

Done as well, however I have to figure out some nice an clean layout for the footer too. I'm not graphic designer, so it will probably take longer... :-"

Thanks very much Steve, appreciate your help.

Alex

Dear Sir,

I looked at your site, and it may interest you to know that Wormwood, as one might guess from the name is also a vermifuge and vermicide.... kills and expells parasitic worms. I am an herbalist and if you care to you can go the "online herbal" link on the "Resources" menu of my site, and then go to the link for herbs starting with "W". Home Health Resource SiteThese entries are by a British herbalist of the early 1900's named M. Miles. Blessings.

Charles

Please have a look here. and let me know your comments. I've been looking at the site every day, so I might be overlooking obvious things.

Still testing with NetBanx, PayPal not installed yet and few areas such as testimonials need to be improved.

Hey

I think the reason you aren't getting many comments is there is not much to criticize.

Excellent work on your style sheet!!!! Basic osCommerce layout, but nice and clean. Great buttons too.:thumbsup:

Scary products though (w00t)

is your product legal?

Jud

It depends where, but generally it is legall to purchase for your own personal consumption. Does your question mean that I haven't compiled the FAQ properly? :rolleyes:

Excellent work on your style sheet!!!! Basic osCommerce layout, but nice and clean. Great buttons too.

Thanks a lot. It's my first experience with osCommerce and PHP, but I'm loving it! :)

Appreciate your comments.

Nearly ready to go live.

is it a drug

Definately not - I have relocated to Spain and they sell Balck Green and Red Absinthe in the supermarket - the youngsters do it as shots with melted sugar and water - it taste like very strong liquorice - ( well the black one does ) apparently years ago it had more wormwood in it which was an hallucinogenic factor and it is believed that Van Gogh was drinking copious amounts of this before he cut off his ear. Personally have tried it - :'( :x - but then again I'm the wrong side of 30 and my "out of it" days are well and truly behind me LOL !!!!!

Great site I'm trying to find out how to change the site to incorporate my header title and replace the OSCommerce bit in the top left hand side - and notice you did - HOW ?????????? Let me know please x x x

believed that Van Gogh was drinking copious amounts of this before he cut off his ear.  Personally have tried it -  :'(  :x 

You've tried to cut your ear off? dont your glasses would fall off.

It is not considered to be a drug, however better products contain hallucinogenic thujone (extract from wormwood). I think I can say, it is not proper absinthe if it doesn't contain thujone. B)

I'm trying to find out how to change the site to incorporate my header title and replace the OSCommerce bit

try replacing osCommerce banner with your image in header.php, this part: tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . ...

I'm please that you're interested in absinthe, are there any comments relating to desing, layout, spellings or other mistakes? I think personally that the site is not fast enough at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments.

Hi, I tried clicking on your link and got this error FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!. It must be my system as it seems to work for others. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Diana

Mostly a very nice site. One thing that struck me is that the picture on the front page makes me think "They're selling books on absinthe too? Cool" at first. It looks like a bookcover to me. Admittedly, that might just be a personal thing. I don't like the new at the bottom - it looks more like a careless add-on than anything else. I tend to dislike the new products box anyway, though. I love the text, but it probably won't be popular among your visitors. I'd shorten it match the length of your boxes at normal text sizes, and maybe put a nice picture of your prettiest absinthe bottle next to it. I think it would look better to have the text wrap around the picture rather than having a break and then resume text, no matter what you do.

And I applaud you for a vaguely creepy looking site that still has black text on a white background. I loathe sites that make it difficult for me to read.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Diana,

our host disabled register_globals therefore our site has not been acessible for few hours. Sorted and fixed now.

Gil,

thank you for your comments.

One thing that struck me is that the picture on the front page makes me think "They're selling books on absinthe too?  Cool" at first.  It looks like a bookcover to me.  Admittedly, that might just be a personal thing. I love the text, but it probably won't be popular among your visitors.  I'd shorten it match the length of your boxes at normal text sizes, and maybe put a nice picture of your prettiest absinthe bottle next to it.  I think it would look better to have the text wrap around the picture rather than having a break and then resume text, no matter what you do.

Despite the fact that I have been trying few different versions of index.php I'm still not quite happy with it, so I agree with you. I am not graphic designer, so it's usually try and error. I have already shortened the text but on other hand I need to keep some text there to make some search engines happy ;)

I don't like the new at the bottom - it looks more like a careless add-on than anything else.  I tend to dislike the new products box anyway, though.

With the new box at the bottom, I'll be adding new absinthe product as soon as the site is launched so I may keep it there for a short while. Again it may help indexing the site a little. It may not look good if the home page is redesigned as you suggested, so who knows...

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody, I see that this post has had almost 600 views..., please let me know if there is something you like or dislike, it doesn't have to be pages full, anything will do, thank you for your comments.

Hello everybody, I see that this post has had almost 600 views..., please let me know if there is something you like or dislike, it doesn't have to be pages full, anything will do, thank you for your comments.

i think your site is great. i think the colors are pleasant, you have nice quality product images with neat little drop-shadows, i like your choice to limit your page width. interestingly, some of your product and category pages have a strong Google rank while your home page has zero. this means that you can add more content to your product descriptions and get much better rankings. this means more business for you. so describe your products, their history and the regions they come from in detail for each and every product.

and send me a bottle of absynthe if it works. we used to make it but i'm sure yours tastes much better.

my great grandfather came from the Canary Islands:)

Hi,

I too thought i was a book shop when i first looked, my second thought was is this stuff legal ?

Anyway i would lose the book image and replace it with a large bottle if it was my site, other than that i like the mood of the site a little scarey a bit like the drink you sell.

So well done and good luck.

Ps if you have a shop i could well pop in as i only live down the road in coulsdon.. dont forget my discount : )

I like the look of what you've done - the shop is a titch wide for my screen (800 by 600 resolution).

I like the newsletter sign up on the first page - which contribution did you use? I need that for my store

Thanks

Dandelion

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments, I've changed the image on the home page as advised, so no more books for sale! :)

interestingly, some of your product and category pages have a strong Google rank while your home page has zero. this means that you can add more content to your product descriptions and get much better rankings.
I have few old web sites and I'm using .htaccess to transfer PR and traffic, it looks like it's working fine. However I already started adding more text to products descriptions.
I like the newsletter sign up on the first page - which contribution did you use? I need that for my store
I'm using modified version of this contribution.
Ps if you have a shop i could well pop in as i only live down the road in coulsdon
We don't have a shop ATM, so it's mail order only I'm afraid. However it only takes about 8 days to ship ;)
my second thought was is this stuff legal ?
It is now legal in the EU (European Union) and it could be sent to the US and Australia too, more is explained in the FAQ section of the store. B)

The absinthe store is live now, however I'm still tweeking few contributions. Thank you very much for all your comments. :thumbsup:

Hi,

Looks good to me!

Thank you very much for your comments and for taking time to have a look at my new store.

Just jumped by for a second and saw you still have the cart-bug on your site.
Sorted, thank you Kasper for letting me know. Anybody else interested, the bug and cure are highlighted here.

I presume you haven't done the translations yet because when I click on one of the other languages, all the descriptions still come out in English.
Anybody who has multilingual store knows how time consuming it is to do all translations. I'm native Czech and my other language is English but I have no knowledge of Spanish or German. Unfortunately many contributions come in one language too, so I'll get the translations done as soon as I sort out major and minor problems. B)

• 4 months later...

Archived