• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New lefty site

Where have you been all my life, I wish this store had been around when I was growing up. I will do a review later.

Hi sorry to say but this is the worse site ive seen here so far, no header logo looks odd, you icon with the pen is out of focus and its very boring. sorry i didnt get past the main page.

How long has this taken you ?

Interesting product, awful site.

What's the difference between a left handed knife and a regular one?

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Knife blades are cut with the serrations or the blade biased for right handers. Take the bread knife for example. When you cut a slice with a right handed knife left handed you end up with a wedge instead of a slice.

Awful site.... mmm any recommendations to improve it?

The pen writing graphic was taken from OsCommerce itself. Increased in size and flipped to look as if it is a left hand writing.

Well, I suggest you maybe spend a good few hours looking at the other sites posted here and the comments they received - I'm not going to repeat what has already been said a hundred times about stock stores.

Good luck with it - get it looking a bit nicer and I'm sure you'll do well.

Well, I suggest you maybe spend a good few hours looking at the other sites posted here and the comments they received - I'm not going to repeat what has already been said a hundred times about stock stores.

Good luck with it - get it looking a bit nicer and I'm sure you'll do well.

Thanks mate. I'll do that.

The reason I got rid of all the banners was because I had so many other languages to contend with. A banner would simply be in English only. I know it's the domain of the store but all the same.

I kept it simple as stock because I was so impressed with the standard. I guess it's great shot.... wrong target time for me.

Great idea,

But the design is fairly stock osC. If you like stock, then keep it that way :-) ... but the logo is 50k!, and its not even that visually appealing. Definantly change the logo.

Jud

Great idea,

But the design is fairly stock osC.  If you like stock, then keep it that way :-) ... but the logo is 50k!, and its not even that visually appealing.  Definantly change the logo.

Jud

Thanks Jud. It's in plan. Trouble is I'm not so good with the old photoshop ;)

I suppose I could go for a more of a visual representation of left handed than the words the lefty shop.

Please could you give me some honest opinion about my site.

http://www.theleftyshop.com/catalog

Regards

VinceG

Gosh... do you really need all those 11 languages ?

Good and (possibly) virgin market

extremely boring website

hint:

start changing the site <TITLE> with headers tag controller contribution

Cheers

Outside links in signatures are not allowed!

hah.. First thing I thought of was Ned Flanders' "Leftorium". :)

I have to agree with everyone else on this.. It's a bit- unappealing.

My own personal thoughts are that the shade of blue you've used is a bit too "safe"- Not the nicest shade, really.

Also, your logo is very jerky- I was waiting for it to cache into my browser and speed up. I also noticed the "since 1975" thing jumps out of center for one frame. I've just taken your logo and reduced the transitions between most of the frames to 0.01sec (you had it to 0.30) and made the main titles stay for 2 seconds.. rather than having four or five frames all the same. It's a little more "dynamic" and smoother now?

See below.

Good luck with your site. I'm not a lefty but I know a couple and I reckon something like this has been a long time coming. :) Left handed plasterer's trowels? I thought they were symmetrical. Hmm..

This is your original header gif:

oscommerce.gif

Here's a one I was playing about with. Compare them and see what I mean. :)

oscommerce-new.gif

Womble.

Like I said I would be back for a review and as a Southpaw I like the concept of your store but like everyone else has said the execution sucks.

1) Basic consistency, in your language box you have English (in english), Espanol (in spanish), Hebrew (in english and not capitalized), Dutch (in English), etc. Keep things consistent.

2) Having no header really makes the site look wierd. Even if it just a "good" graphic and your store name that is better than nothing. I am sure with the help of the forum it would not be too hard to get the header to switch languages also.

3) http://www.theleftyshop.com/catalog/ Why is it in catalog folder, and the http://www.theleftyshop.com/ page looks really useless and doesn't tell me anything.

4)

The lefty shop was first opened in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1975 by my father George Gledhill the first. Due to the high rates in the city, a small market place, and the recession of the 80s we had to close our doors.

But not forever. With the advent of the internet and small setup costs we are able to re-open our "virtual" doors once more.

OMG Pleazzzzze take this part down. The last thing you want to tell customers is you have closed your doors and it was so cheap to set up your shop you thought you would give it another try. Words can not express how BAD that section is. Not to mention the punctuation error.

5) As for everything else on your main page it is much better said in a different part of the site. Just scrap the whole page and start over.

6) For some reason your right margin is a different width on your product page.

7) Good shipping and returns page but your font is different from the rest of the site. Less on the fluff though and more information for the customer such as "how do they return something" or "which shipping carriers do you use".

8) I love privacy notices :'( ... NOT.

We keep your details private.
FALSE - You share them with the shipping company.
We only use a cookie to keep a track of your shopping basket.
FALSE - Cookies do much more than that as they allow you through your hosts admin to watch were every person goes on your site.
You will only recieve newsletters if you have subscribed to the list.
- That is TRUE, hopefully.
We will not disclose any of your details to third parties under any circumstances whatsoever.
FALSE and repetition.
If you have any questions about your privacy whatsoever then please contact us via the contact form.
Why is "contact" not a clickable link to make the experience easier for your customer.

9) Conditions page;

Shop here and pay for your good legitimately.
I don't even know what that means.
Anyone found attempting to defraud will be reported to the police and no goods will be dispached.
And my response to that is "so what!!!"

10) Product descriptions;

12 inch / 30 cm ruler. Measurements from right to left as you would expect.

And ... is it a straight edge ruler or one with a little piece of metal sticking out? What is it made of? What is the weight of it? What are your impressions of the quality? Etc.? Details please!!!

This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 21 April, 2005.
I don't really care about this information.

11) My Account. You don't need gender and D.O.B. from your customers.

12) Most of your forum posts should be on your product pages or your main page. You have so many amazing comments about your company going to waste in the forum where no one will read them. That is a traggic waste.

really impressed how swift it was from ordering to delivery.will use the site again.cant believe how easy it is to cut bread when you have the proper equipment!!

Another example of wasted feedback;

Feedback Score: 295

Positive Feedback: 100%

Members who left a positive: 295

Members who left a negative: 0

You are missing out on your #1 sales tool.

Overall your store is an amazing idea and is much needed and I am sure you will do well..... but..... I would get a nice template from the template section or search the internet for one that you like the look of and integrate it into your store. Move it to the main directory as there is no point in having it in /catalog. Integrate the amazing feedback you have gotten over the years from ebay and your forum into your product pages and main page. Work on more descriptive info about your products. Redo the main page and information pages as they are all really bad and create an About Us page that covers all about your company but this time put it in a positive light. I would also add information about the history of left handed people through the ages as a way of adding more content to your store. Watch your spelling and grammer as there are errors in them, I just looked at the english site.

HTH

Peter

Hmmm... don't know why the quotes didn't work :(

You also need Header Tags installed and Ultimate SEO urls would help also.

Now Java Roasters has been on your site, theres not much left to be said, but to stick my two pennith in, you should really alter your advanced search help page. to something that you sell on your store. It looks better.

Try and make the store your own. You have a great idea, and as a lefty i know what a pain most things can be. There are very few sites like your listed on search engines, so make your mark. Give people something to remember, not just boring and plain.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks for the work on the logo Darthwomble. I've changed it now.

Java Roaster. Brilliant. Thanks for your input. I'll work long and hard over the coming weeks to change everything you've said.

I don't know why the width of the right margin changes when I select a product.... that's weird.

Thought I was getting there.... it's obvious I've got a long way to go. :'(

I don't know why the width of the right margin changes when I select a product.... that's weird.

Its probably down to the placement of the button in the tell a friend box. Move it to under the box, and see if it helps.

Welcome to "the lefty shop" Are you, your friends, your family left handed? If so then you've come to the right place. Here you will find all manner of goods to make the left handers life that little bit easier.

The lefty shop was first opened in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1975 by my father George Gledhill the first. Due to the high rates in the city, a small market place, and the recession of the 80s we had to close our doors.

But not forever. With the advent of the internet and small setup costs we are able to re-open our "virtual" doors once more.

Welcome to The Lefty Shop.  Are you or someone you know left handed?  If so then you've come to the right place. Here you will find all manner of goods to make the left handers life that little bit easier.

The lefty shop was first opened in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1975 by my father George Gledhill. The Lefty Shop is still family owned business now expanding to reach new markets with our online store so we can bring peace and harmony to southpaws throughout the world.

Our goal at The Lefty Shop is 100% customers satisfaction. Take a look at forum or read our 100% feedback on e-bay reviews. Here is a sample of what are customers are saying.

Wonderful Item.... very happy with purchase, fastest shipping...

robertwcl

Super fast delivery, excelent product - Thanks...

purple1405

We work hard, every day, to ensure your online experience is safe, hassle free and prompt. Nothing less is acceptable for us. We at The Lefty Shopprovide;

Easy online shopping

Choose your products from the catagories at the top left, or search for a particular item in the search box. Can't find what you are looking for please contact customer service and we will do our best to add it to our inventory.

More information

For a bigger picture then simply click the product image. We will continue to update and enhance our product descriptions when items change so you have the latest and most complete information available to help you choose the right product for you.

Secure ordering

100% Secure payments via SSL and the HSBC bank. We do not actually see your details so you can be assured that no one else can either. We insisted on this extra level of customer privacy to better protect you, our customer.

Fast Dispach

The Lefty Shop carries all our products in inventory to ensure that we can dispatch your order as soon as it is received. We are also in constant contact with the post office to ensure that your goods arrive promptly.

Free Packaging and Postage at Cost

The price of your goods includes the all packaging. Our software has details of all the weight of each item and automatically calculates the exact postage. You only pay the exact postage costs which are very reasonable worldwide for our relatively light products.

No quibble money back guarantee

Not satisfied for any reason whatsoever. Simply return it for a no questions asked full refund. We will even refund your postage costs, so there really is no reason for you to not try our great products. You will be glad you did.

Thank you from The Lefty Shop for taking time to visit our store, if we can be of assistance please Contact Us (link) and we will be happy to assist you with any questions you have.

Vince Gledhill

The Lefty Shop

Really like the new layout, but I just feel cramped when I see your site. Maybe make the font size a bit smaller. Nothing drastic, but It might help relieve that cramped feeling.

Jud

Really like the new layout, but I just feel cramped when I see your site. Maybe make the font size a bit smaller. Nothing drastic, but It might help relieve that cramped feeling.

hmmm ... your store isn't even osCommerce-based anymore :-( ...

What site are you looking at Jud, it hasn't changed that much and it is still osC.

http://www.theleftyshop.com/catalog/

This is what I would do:

Move all the text bumf from the home page - this is marketing - people don't want to read this, and it looks bad. I have to scroll down to see the images.

Move all the shipping related stuff to where it belongs - shipping & returns

Move the feedback to the "feedback" section - if you are worried about no-one ever seeing this, add a link from your home page to it.

Trust me, very few people put any credence in glowing testimonials.

You need to grab me more - maybe with a "specials for this month" box on the home page.

Your home page should contain highly targeted keywords!

Ditch your header. It's still rubbish.

Change the blue color.

Center the store.

Please please please use a spell checker - eg "dispach" on your home page is inexcusable.

At some point you will need a SSL certificate.

Your different language options are limited in their usefulness if your product descriptions are all in English, and the box looks a mess. I would stick to English and remove the box.

Wow - For some reason I was looking at the site "left-handed.com" ... I have looked throughout this post and still can't find where I got it from ... but anyways, I guess I was critiquing another persons site :-) ... about your site:

Maybe it is my monitor, but that color blue is just not that visually appealing. I would suggest maybe a different color. Also, what is your target audience? Men prefer blue more than women, so if you are selling to men, then blue is good, but for women maybe a different color is bette.

Jud

If you want to keep that header, move it to the other side and add a blue background to your header to match the blue in the logo. That way it may look like it scrolls from the edge of the page.

Archived