• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie Question. Please help

Voland

Hello all,

I am planing to give osCommerce a try soon. I am gettign my feet wet right now with PHP/MySQL programmin.; and have started reading the Docs on this site. I's liek to try toinstall and configure the solution at this point and need an advise on what hosting provider to use. I have so far been using Godaddy.Com for my hosting needs however it apears they have some limitations when it comes to PHP:

The following functions have been disabled on our servers:

fpassthru

file

exec

system

passthru

popen

crack_check

crack_closedict

crack_getlastmessage

crack_opendict

fsockopen

psockopen

opendir

readdir

closedir

phpinfo

all Posix functions

Also:

Our servers are configured to handle only the .php file extensions at this time.

And

PHP is run in "Safe Mode" on our servers. For more information on "Safe Mode", please see www.php.net.

Will any of these facts interfere with the functionality of osCommerce. If so please recommend better Hosting provider(s)

Thank you for your time,

Arkady.

People dont change, people realize.

I ve also read some threads about people having all sorts of problems with their Shared Hosting. Can someone list Hosting requirments essential to deploy osCommerce smoothly and securely, at least the unmodified (out of the box) version; It appears that "osCommerce can be installed on any server where a web server is running that has PHP installed..." is not really enugh.

Arkady.

People dont change, people realize.

I ve also read some threads about people having all sorts of problems with their Shared Hosting. Can someone list Hosting requirments essential to deploy osCommerce smoothly and securely, at least the unmodified (out of the box) version; It appears that "osCommerce can be installed on any server where a web server is running that has PHP installed..." is not really enugh.

Arkady.

my 2 pennies - I wouldn't touch godaddy with a dirty barge pole

lots of other hosts out there - if you want more concrete advice PM me

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Archived