• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Vedic Books :)

lilape

From a technical point of view, it is a mess.

The Session ID in the URL can be a serious security issue for a start.

Don't use "SE friendly URLs" - it has bugs in it. Use Ultimate SEO URLs

Where's your SSL for my account information and "secure" login?

You have clearly put a lot of effort into the product and descriptions, you just need to apply some more effort into finishing it and making it secure for users.

You haven't changed the overall layout from stock significantly, which isn't always a bad thing - just makes it a bit boring to browse to be honest - the old "seen it all before" syndrome...

Looks a lot like amazon.com

That's good, since it's a very succesful site. But it could also be bad, because it's not "original" and they might not appreciate your similiarity.

It looks nice though.

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

I just took a quick look but I like it. One thing I would suggest though is doing something with the mouse over links in your infoboxes. The yellow/gold color is very hard to read with the blue... maybe make the text white when you mouse over? Or even a light blue. Just something to make the text stand out more.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for feedback.

1. I'd love to know how to get session ID's out of URL. Can you advise me please how to do this.

2. I tried to use Ultimate SEO but it broke the 'buy now' component of the site so I had to revert to SE friendly URLS.

Thanks all for feedbacks and advices.

Sincerely :)

Martin

Hi Guys,

Thanks for feedback.

1. I'd love to know how to get session ID's out of URL. Can you advise me please how to do this.

2. I tried to use Ultimate SEO but it broke the 'buy now' component of the site so I had to revert to SE friendly URLS.

Thanks all for feedbacks and advices.

Sincerely :)

Martin

1. session ID errors are 95% of the time caused by having incorect settings for your cookies in configure.php You can do a search on this forum, if you still need help post the lines from configure.php concerning cookies. (I hope support like this is allowed in this topc? sorry if it isn't...)

2. the latest STABLE release on this site for ultimate SEO urls is 2.0 b... It appears there will be no stable 2.1x release sadly... You might be able to get it to work by using fixes people (including me) have posted on the support thread for it on this site. Good luck with it.

So this is on topic:

The site does look a little like the old amazon.com site... But then again so do a lot others. It's the menu tab look, and seems to be a popular choice around the net.

I'd suggest getting rid of the personal message when no one is logged in, I see you changed it but it still feels a little like stock osc IMHO

Don't really need the dollar box, since there is only one currency

I don't have time to look at it thorougly right now... If I remember I will try to look at it later.

All in all a good site. Good job!

• 6 years later...

i am using ultimate seo url...by using somewhat url related to that page...but my client asking about sub-category and sub-sub-category to be displayed in url...please specify how to make changes in seo url to make sub category displaying in url....like

http://www.vedicbooks.net/arts-architecture-c-141_109.html....

arts(sub_category) displaying...but for me its displaying only architecture....pls reply soon....

Hi Martin,

I would say the SEO urls are the least of your concerns at this point. Here are my thoughts on the site:

1. The site has a very standard osC feel to it.

2. The site looks like it was designed 5 years ago.

3. The index page seems to scroll forever with all of the info you have on it.

4. The login box has some alignment and padding issues.

5. The buttons and text are very small and should definitely be made larger.

Basically, I think if the site was redesigned it would be nice. You have done the difficult part of populating the database so just have someone put a nice finish on the whole project. There is tons of online competition these days and sites that look "amateurish" will likely get passed by as people don't feel confident shopping there. Look at your site in comparison to other online bookstores to get some design ideas.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

As has been stated already the site is a basic copy of the old amazon site. Take note that they have changed theirs now.

My real big concern is the ammount of rubbish text on nearly every page. There is far too much of it. If you need the text, put a link somewhere and create seperate pages. I would add product tabs to the product pages so as to remove some of the text. People do not read text if there is a lot of it.

There is still no SSl. I would not buy from a site that does not treat my information correctly.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived