• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

It WILL break your website if you have PHP in CGI mode (if you dont know what this means, DO NOT install this).

[/code]

I have php running in cgi

I installed it successfully in my application top (meaning my site runs like it used to, but didn't check what the code was suppposed to improve). I put it after

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1
 if ((!defined(SEO_ENABLED)) || (SEO_ENABLED == 'true')) {
include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');
if ( !is_object($seo_urls) ){
  $seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id);
}
}

But first I had to remove all these bad characters used for the indents: they are NOT spaces or tabs and were responsible of the error and breaking the store.

Pixclinic,

What this is meant to do is it is meant to redirect you if the name of your product changes, to the new product URL.

Eg, if you have a URL of www.mystore.com/catalog/this-is-my-NEW-product-p-422.html, and your product name changes to simple "this is my product" but keeps the same product ID, it would then redirect everyone (including search engines, which this script is mainly for) to the new URL of www.mystore.com/catalog/this-is-my-product-p-422.html

The way to test this is to open up one of your product pages, and go into the URL and change the name by adding in random characters, and see if it redirects. I tested your website but it did NOT do the redirect.

With my website, when I install the script, I can open up product pages, but I cannot open up category pages as it just sits there thinking.

Anyone else tried it and gotten it working?

Regards,

Chris

I took the code out, so you might not have seen it working.

I reinstalled it and tested it, it works just fine: you may change the name of any product, it redirects fine

Thanks for this nice peice of code (and thanks to chemo too)

Hugh

I reinstalled it and tested it, it works just fine: you may change the name of any product, it redirects fine

Hugh

I just noticed a tiny problem though: if a category page contains accentuated characters, it's not found. I decided to remove these characters. Let me know if a fix if available though.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I just went to your website then and saw it working.

Can you please post a copy of your .htaccess file to see if there is anything different there that may be causing it to work on yours but not work on mine?

Are you DEFINATELY running php as CGI? (how do you even find out whether it is running as CGI or something else???).

Cheers,

Chris

Sorry to sound naive, but can someone tell me how this contrib would handle 2 identical products with the same name. I have several items that are very similar and would hate to list them as the same name and have the store crumble.

Sorry to sound naive, but can someone tell me how this contrib would handle 2 identical products with the same name. I have several items that are very similar and would hate to list them as the same name and have the store crumble.

Ultimate SEO URL's will not have any problem with 2 products with identical names, as it only SORTA uses the product name. Basically, the product_id is put in the URL and it is that which is used to go to the product page; not its product name.

Basically, the URLs end up being like the following:

www.mydomain.com/catalog/my-product-name-p-312.html (-p-312 is for product_id=312)

So if you had 2 items with the same name, it would look like the following:

www.mydomain.com/catalog/this-is-a-duplicate-product-p-4122.html

www.mydomain.com/catalog/this-is-a-duplicate-product-p-3081.html

Both of the above URL's will go to different pages. So search engines will not get confused at all.

If you are going to use this contrib (which i STRONGLY suggest you do) then install Chemo's official 2.1d that I put in the contrib area. That is the one I am using and it works brilliantly.

Cheers,

Chris :)

Chris

yes I am running CGi

go to your "server info" in your admin sections. Here is teh beginning of mine:

PHP Version 4.4.2

System FreeBSD hera.dns-solutions.net 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Jul 3 21:32:06 MDT 2006 [email protected]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LOCAL i386

Build Date Jun 6 2006 22:23:39

Configure Command './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php4_cgi' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--with-xml' '--with-gd' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-bcmath' '--with-imap' '--enable-ftp' '--with-jpeg-dir' '--with-png-dir' '--with-ttf' '--enable-sockets' '--with-zlib' '--with-openssl' '--with-curl' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-freetype' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/include/freetype2' '--with-tsrm-pth' '--with-mhash' '--with-mysql-sock' '--with-gettext' '--with-mime-magic' '--with-dba' '--with-ndb' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-exif' '--with-imap-ssl' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--with-pspell' '--enable-soap' '--with-iconv' '--with-zip'

Server API CGI

By the way, I had to deactivate this mod since it doesn;t handle the accentuated characters: all pages containing accents or apostrophes are not found. And I want so sell my p?t? :-)

regarding my htaccess file, here it is:

ErrorDocument 404 /index_redirect.php

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
# the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#   AllowOverride Options
# </Directory>
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
# Explorer browsers

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
 <IfDefine SSL>
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
		 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
		 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
 </IfDefine>
</IfModule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the
# following Apache configuration parameter
#
# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values
# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
# servers)
#
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
 php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
 php_value register_globals 1
</IfModule>

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On 
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^thefrenchybee.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.thefrenchybee.com/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^frenchybee\.com$
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.thefrenchybee.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.frenchybee\.com$
#RewriteRule (.*) http://www.thefrenchybee.com/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-s-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers2_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Chris

yes I am running CGi

go to your "server info" in your admin sections. Here is teh beginning of mine:

PHP Version 4.4.2

System FreeBSD hera.dns-solutions.net 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Jul 3 21:32:06 MDT 2006 [email protected]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LOCAL i386

Build Date Jun 6 2006 22:23:39

Configure Command './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php4_cgi' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--with-xml' '--with-gd' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-bcmath' '--with-imap' '--enable-ftp' '--with-jpeg-dir' '--with-png-dir' '--with-ttf' '--enable-sockets' '--with-zlib' '--with-openssl' '--with-curl' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-freetype' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/include/freetype2' '--with-tsrm-pth' '--with-mhash' '--with-mysql-sock' '--with-gettext' '--with-mime-magic' '--with-dba' '--with-ndb' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-exif' '--with-imap-ssl' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--with-pspell' '--enable-soap' '--with-iconv' '--with-zip'

Server API CGI

By the way, I had to deactivate this mod since it doesn;t handle the accentuated characters: all pages containing accents or apostrophes are not found. And I want so sell my p?t? :-)

regarding my htaccess file, here it is:

Ah... I've figured out that im NOT running CGI. Mine says "Server API Apache", so that will be the reason for it not working for me.

Do you have any idea how to change the script to work under Apache?

Cheers,

Chris

Ah... I've figured out that im NOT running CGI. Mine says "Server API Apache", so that will be the reason for it not working for me.

Cheers,

Chris

Unfortunately, I don't know what are the differences between these 2 platforms.

When I installed SEO URL's everything was working fine. Than I moved my catalog folder to my root folder and I started getting error 404 when I tried to access the products on my webiste.

To fix this,

I deleted the word catalog in the .htaccess file in my root directory.

This is what my new line looks like.

RewriteBase /

Hope this helps some people.

When I installed SEO URL's everything was working fine. Than I moved my catalog folder to my root folder and I started getting error 404 when I tried to access the products on my webiste.

To fix this,

I deleted the word catalog in the .htaccess file in my root directory.

This is what my new line looks like.

RewriteBase /

Hope this helps some people.

actually, this was in the manual :-)

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

You have a redirect in the root which is mucking up the redirects causing them to become circular...in other words they will redirect to each other forever or until your browser gives up.

Get with me...err...I mean Chemo on IM when he's not working on an incredibly large project integrating a COBOL/Oracle backoffice with 150 retail locations via VPN/POS and hooking a web portal into the mix. I'm sure he'll help with the small debugging project if you hit him at the right time...just not while he's paying the bills.

Bobby (...err...someone that's not Bobby)

Chris,

You have a redirect in the root which is mucking up the redirects causing them to become circular...in other words they will redirect to each other forever or until your browser gives up.

Get with me...err...I mean Chemo on IM when he's not working on an incredibly large project integrating a COBOL/Oracle backoffice with 150 retail locations via VPN/POS and hooking a web portal into the mix. I'm sure he'll help with the small debugging project if you hit him at the right time...just not while he's paying the bills.

Bobby (...err...someone that's not Bobby)

Thanks Bobby... err... Chemo... err... someone who isn't bobby.

Will chat to you... err... bobby... soon.

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum for an answer to this but can't see that anyone else has had this problem...

I have installed Ultimate SEO 2.1d but am having problems with the categories menu.

I am using a CRE Loaded shop but am unsure if it has been modified further as I did not originally develop it.

The links look to be working in the menu - at least when you mouseover you get the SEO path, but when you click on any of the menu links you get a 404 error.

The mod is working fine for products shown on the front page.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!! :)

I've just installed Ultimate SEO 2.1d and now I've got a few products that no longer display correctly. It seems to be affecting all of my products that have pid in the name - it took me ages to figure out why it stopped showing spiderman!

I've searched through this thread and haven't seen anyone else with the same problem - I can't be the only person selling stuff with pid in surely!?

Anyway, if anybody has got any ideas which bit of code I can take out/modify I greatly appreciate it. I've had a go but nothing seems to make a difference.

Help - or Spiderman goes!!

Edited by g-man

I've just installed Ultimate SEO 2.1d and now I've got a few products that no longer display correctly. It seems to be affecting all of my products that have pid in the name - it took me ages to figure out why it stopped showing spiderman!

I've searched through this thread and haven't seen anyone else with the same problem - I can't be the only person selling stuff with pid in surely!?

Anyway, if anybody has got any ideas which bit of code I can take out/modify I greatly appreciate it. I've had a go but nothing seems to make a difference.

Help - or Spiderman goes!!

Hi,

I did a search on my site, and I found several of my products have 'pid' in them, but they are working without any problem at all.

Which 2.1d did you install? Install the one that is titled Chemos official 2.1d that I uploaded in the contrib area. That is a better one.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks, Chris - good to know someone else has products with pid in!

I can't remember which version I installed so I'll try installing that one again and see if it fixes it - meanwhile I hope no Spiderman fans are visiting the store ;)

installed the contribution on the local server and had everything working fine. followed the same instructions for the live site and now receiving a "page cannot be found" error. the seo URLs appear to be writing, and i have been ensured by my host that mod_rewrite is enabled, so i'm assuming there's an issue with my .htaccess file?

the catalog is in the main folder (ie, no catalog folder), but my host directory is a bit different from what i'm used to. when connecting through ftp, i have to go to the path /username/domain.com/ to get to my files. i've tried updating .htaccess with / , /domain.com/ , and /username/domain.com/ - none seem to work.

could my host be "fibbing" about mod_rewrite? :P is there a way to test that this functionality is, in fact, enabled?

any advice? would really like to get this great contribution working!

installed the contribution on the local server and had everything working fine. followed the same instructions for the live site and now receiving a "page cannot be found" error. the seo URLs appear to be writing, and i have been ensured by my host that mod_rewrite is enabled, so i'm assuming there's an issue with my .htaccess file?

the catalog is in the main folder (ie, no catalog folder), but my host directory is a bit different from what i'm used to. when connecting through ftp, i have to go to the path /username/domain.com/ to get to my files. i've tried updating .htaccess with / , /domain.com/ , and /username/domain.com/ - none seem to work.

could my host be "fibbing" about mod_rewrite? :P is there a way to test that this functionality is, in fact, enabled?

any advice? would really like to get this great contribution working!

Hi,

Have you tried just setting your RewriteBase to '/' (without the quotes)?

Regards,

Chris