• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hello Jack,

We have been using USU5 for a long time... but it's outdated, and alot of other good modules are not compatible with it anymore, so we are thinking of changing into this contribution (great work and support for such a long time btw!)

BUT my main concern is, how does it work with not-breaking our old links and SEO ranking? Anyone have any experience on this part?

As long as the old links will still work, I am not that concerned, but I am not really 100% sure how this module works, with our current module this links looks like this:
https://www.XXX.xx/tilbehoer/toyota-corolla-e12-alupedaler-oe-toyota-p-123931.html

And as long as the product ID is correct, the link works, is it the same with this contrib? Because then I don't see any problems in changing... thanks! :)

If you had SEO 5 set to use rewrite mode, then the url's are the same and switching won't cause a problem. If you used one of the other modes, they will eventually all be changed in the search engines. There shouldn't be any problems with that change though you need to be sure to re-create sitemaps, if you use them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you had SEO 5 set to use rewrite mode, then the url's are the same and switching won't cause a problem. If you used one of the other modes, they will eventually all be changed in the search engines. There shouldn't be any problems with that change though you need to be sure to re-create sitemaps, if you use them.

You are the best Jack! Thanks alot, I am already working on it, so I can have more of your modules installed, I will contact you when I'm done with the free modules, and see if we can do some business I think, just looked through your website!

Great work with all the contribs!

Hello Jack,

I now have this working, but I feel like something is not really like what it should be :)

1. Page loads are almost double of what it was before, before it was ~3-4s now it loads at ~5-6s 

Could it the cache function not working? where is it storing the cache? I triede several tests for the same page, so it should load the cache.

I tried to Enable Performance Checker and also puttig it in the includes/application_bottom.php file, but it doesn't show anything, but the paths, categories etc. are all "correct" with the links? 

Also sometimes in Admin section when changing settings or clicking different settings it gives me a "blank screen" with no content - but also no PHP errors? :o!

Any suggestions what could be wrong? 

Last thing, in my language I have alot of special "signs" any chance I could change these into specific signs?

Like å could be changed into a - ø to o etc. :) ?

Edited by gummipingvin

Yes, the cache for the addon can cause that but usually only if the number of items is large. You can turn off all of the cache settings and verify the site loads faster. If it does, then you can enable one at a time, if you want, to see which is causing the problem and then leave that one off.

You have to enable the settings in the logging section of admin for the performance settings to help.

For the characters, that is what the convert setting is for. It should be converting them if you have made those entries, which I think you said you did.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Another question: when I copy a product and change something in the name, the url stays the same as the Original (except the -p-xxx.html at the end of the url), why is that and how can I change it to the right name?

@@revamp No, you can't remove the -p-12 part. But, if it helps, that is just an aesthetic issue and doesn't have any affect on SEO. For the name, that should change if you change the name of a particular product. If you are copying a product as a duplicate, then the new product has a different ID which means the -p-xxx will be different. Since that is not changing in your example, it sounds like you are still looking at the old product, not the new one.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

Each time I update products thru admin  then check on web site I get the following

Warning: mysqli_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /home/-/public_html/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 152

If I simply refresh the site, the message goes away and the site loads correctly.

Can you tell me what this means, and what, if anything, I need to do to correct it.

I am using.

Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_14a

Many thanks

Grandpa

@@grandpa I don't know what would cause that, in this situation. I use the addon with several sites of my own as well as with my clients and I've not seen nor heard of this problem. But you can try turning off the cache settings for this addon to see if the problem goes away. That won't fix it but it might help pin it down. You may also want to go to admin->Tools->Database Tables and convert the tables to utf, but mainly the cache one.

I took a closer look at this and in php 5, that function doesn't have a return value. Its equivalent did in pre php 5. So this line

return mysqli_free_result($resource_id);

should be changed to

@mysqli_free_result($resource_id);

I haven't gone through the code to look at those calls but the above should work.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

Many thanks for your help.

Firstly; I have changed the code and see what happens.

Secondly;...try turning off the cache settings for this addon to see if the problem goes away... I have no idea how to do this.

Hopefulyy the code change will do it.

Again, many thanks

Kind regards

Grandpa

There are settings for this addon in admin->Configuration->SEO URLs. To turn one off, select it, click on edit, change the setting and then save it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

When I try to use the 2nd button (Execute Sitemonitor)  in SiteMonitos>Admin I get;

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/---/public_html/-admin-/includes/functions/sitemonitor_functions.php on line 653

I have tried changing URL to .......... /sitemonitor_configure_setup.php?override=1

but makes no difference

And the configure file is pretty much set to standard only curl stuff missing.

File permissions are

Dir 755

files 644

I have tried turning of various caches but that hasn't made any difference.

Can you offer any suggestions as to what I may have "stuffed up"

Many thanks

Kind regards

John

@@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

I think I sorted it (#7195) Just put in the exclude list the following;

'-admin-/quarantine', 'download','ext','images','includes','javascript','admin','pub','temp'

Cheers and thanks

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm trying to make the changes to install Ultimate SEO URLs Documentation by Chemo, however my includes/functions/html_output.php file does not look the same as the one in the example.

Can anyone tell me which text I need to find to replace, please?

I have copied my html_output.php file into a Piratepad. I believe that the replacing should begin at line 225 of the file (I have written "Remove from here to where???" at this point. Could someone tell me where the tep_href_link() function ends please?

Here is the piratepad link: http://piratepad.net/jZDxN9jC5Z

Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid question - I'm totally new to php programming and working with websites in general.

Thanks so much,

Rory

@@Roryaro I can't load that page but it doesn't matter. Just replace the complete function with the one provided. The function, in case you don't know, begins with the word function and ends with a } that occurs before the next function.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks @@Jack_mcs, I believe I've found the right }. There were a couple of hundred lines between the original { and the one which closes it. I guess the code was already quite modified. Thanks for the help, let's see if it works :)

Edited by Roryaro

I have a lot of .htaccess files. Is the one in my catalog directory the one in my root directory?

(I’d always rather ask a stupid question if it means avoiding doing a stupid thing).

Another stupid question: does the # comment out the line?

The one in my root directory already has the following within it: Would I need to delete all of this or just some of it? (I've replaced the name of the website with "websitename").

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.1.1.1 2005/12/03 21:36:01 max Exp $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

#

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet

# Explorer browsers

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Limit' to the

# AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

#<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

#  AllowOverride Limit

#</Directory>

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in your

# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

#<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>

#  <IfDefine SSL>

#    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

#             nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

#             downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

#  </IfDefine>

#</IfModule> ############ Rewrite Engine ##############

#Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

php_value register_globals Off

php_flag display_errors On

############ Rewrite Rules ###############

RewriteRule .*\.svn/.* - [F]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^websitename.com$

RewriteRule (.*) http://www.websitename.com/$1[R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^websitename.com$

RewriteRule (.*) https://www.websitename.com/$1[R=301,L]

# xml site map

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-f

RewriteRule ^(sitemap(.+)\.xml)$ xml_sitemap.php?feed=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-d

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-f

RewriteRule ^(.+) index.php?seo_path=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# AuthUserFile "/home/websitename/public_html/htusers"

# AuthType Basic

# AuthName "Protected"

# require valid-user

# <Files htusers>

# deny from all

# </Files>

I also have .htaccess.svn-base files do these need editing at all?

​Thank you very much for taking a look at this,

​Rory

The root, in this context, is where your shop is located. So if it is in the catalog directory, the .htaccess file in that directory is the one to edit.

Yes, the # are comments. You should delete them all since they only serve to increase the size of the .htaccess file and since that file has to be loaded with each page load, the larger it becomes the slower the site will be. In your case, it wouldn't make much, if any difference, but over time you will probably add to it so it is best to get rid of things sooner than later.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

am getting the following error!

PHP Warning:  mysqli_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /server_path/seo.class.php on line 154

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks