• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

I haven't followed this...but you said "anyone" so here I am. :lol: what do you have for the rewrite base in your .htaccess file? ... i.e. /catalog/ or if it's not in a subdirectory it would be just /

Well thank you 'anyone', mark

now that i sit with my tail between my legs and feel like an ass, hahaha, i forgot to edit the htaccess file, thanks for bringing it up :)

Hello All,

I just noticed this on my live site. When you click the buy now button on the main page I have it set to go to the shopping cart. If you click on continue shopping the url is http://site.com/index.php?product_id=122

However if you do not click buy now from main page and click cart contents then continue shopping everything works great url is http://site.com/index.php as well as if you view a specfic product first then click continue shopping.

I think it is because of the random new products RND contrib that I have installed.

To see what I mean my site is in my profile

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

I realised that since installing the ultimate SEO my unsold carts started to go increase and I received a number of emails from customers telling me that they where have problems purchasing from the site. I couldn't replicate this even though I tried from various locations. It wasn't until someone brought to my attention that the problem was related to trying to use the "buy now" function from either the reviews section or from the category list ( all my testing had been from the product details "buy now" option which worked fine). After a lot of research I noted that a lot of other people where have the same problem but the fix was not available through this forum. I managed to find the fix somewhere else. Here it is:

Through the SEO admin section set the "output W3C valid URLs" option to False.

Scott Lawry

Hi

i use the seo url and my pages start to get indexed but the urls in the googles index is like this:

www.domain.com/?cPath=220

or

www.domain.com/?products_id=1887

and when i click the link it gets to the site but the url is not rewrited and stais like the above

Where is the proble

Thanks

Just installed the contrib and the urls look like :

http://www.zzzzzzz.com/store/stuffff-p-1.h...eca688cfafd026a

I used the right htaccess and changed it to /store/.

Another problem happens when I set Enable SEO URLs to False and click on a product. I get "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded" and the product page doesnt load.

The only other contrib I have installed so far is HeaderTags 2.5.9.1.

Please help me...

Just installed the contrib and the urls look like :

http://www.zzzzzzz.com/store/stuffff-p-1.h...eca688cfafd026a

I used the right htaccess and changed it to /store/.

Another problem happens when I set Enable SEO URLs to False and click on a product. I get "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded" and the product page doesnt load.

The only other contrib I have installed so far is HeaderTags 2.5.9.1.

Please help me...

Hi,

There appears to be nothing wrong with that URL that you provided. It is in the correct format for the SEO URL's contrib. The osCsid will disappear after you click something else on your website as it only usually appears for the first page that you visit.

Without providing an actual website address, it is impossible to test.

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

There appears to be nothing wrong with that URL that you provided. It is in the correct format for the SEO URL's contrib. The osCsid will disappear after you click something else on your website as it only usually appears for the first page that you visit.

Without providing an actual website address, it is impossible to test.

Regards,

Chris

No it doesnt disappear after i click on something else.

Also that error when I turn it off makes me think something is wrong.

No it doesnt disappear after i click on something else.

Also that error when I turn it off makes me think something is wrong.

Hi,

If the Session ID doesn't disappear then I would think you have something wrong with cookies or something like that.

Before you installed this contrib, did the session ID disappear?

What version of the Ultimate SEO URLs are you using?

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

If the Session ID doesn't disappear then I would think you have something wrong with cookies or something like that.

Before you installed this contrib, did the session ID disappear?

What version of the Ultimate SEO URLs are you using?

Regards,

Chris

Im using the latest version and the session id didnt disappear before I installed the contrib. Any idea how to fix this?

Im using the latest version and the session id didnt disappear before I installed the contrib. Any idea how to fix this?

Sorry but you need to fix the problem with the session ID first. It is nothing to do with this contrib.

As for how to fix it, I have no idea - sorry.

Just make sure that your web browser allows cookies.

Other than that, do a search in these forums.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Regards,

Chris

It's kinda confusing on how to install this. I have a .tar file and not just a zip file. Which files do I upload?

Download and install the one dated 11 May 2006 which was uploaded by stonebridgecomputing and titled "Chemo's Official v2.1d".

Download and install the one dated 11 May 2006 which was uploaded by stonebridgecomputing and titled "Chemo's Official v2.1d".

And that one works just as well as the 2.2 version?

And that one works just as well as the 2.2 version?

Hey,

The one marked as Chemo's official 2.1d one that was uploaded by myself, is the original coders latest version, and I have been using it for quite a long time without any problems.

There are also a lot of other people using it without problems.

I am a bit frustrated with the 2 different forks of coding that are there... that being Chemo's 2.1d and then the rest of the versions after that. I wish they could all be combined, as Chemo was the best coder I knew. But never mind.

The good thing about this contrib is that the way Chemo coded was to make it as easy for people to install (and upgrade) as possible. So you can feel free to install Chemo's 2.1d version (that I put in the contrib area), and if it doesn't work out, then you should be able to update to the other versions by simply replacing one file (hopefully the coder that has been further developing this has continued its ease of installation).

Cheers,

Chris :)

Hey runepidemic,

The problem I explained is the following:

I have a product called (for example) Corsair 512MB DDR2 RAM, with a product ID of 5831 for example.

Now a standard link will look like this: www.mydomain.com/product_info.php?productID=5831

Now, SEO'd URLS may be: www.mydomain.com/Corsair-512MB-DDR2-RAM-p-5831.html (see how it has the product number in the SEO'd URLS? that is all that is used when it then goes and finds the product in my database).

Say that I realised that it wasn't actually 512MB DDR2 RAM, but it was only DDR RAM.

So I change the product name to Corsair 512MB DDR RAM.

Then, the new SEO'd URL would be www.mydomain.com/Corsair-512MB-DDR-RAM-p-5831.html (notice how it says DDR and not DDR2).

However, you if went to the old SEO'd URL (i.e. the one with DDR2 in the URL) then it will still open up in your web browser WITHOUT doing a redirect, as the only thing it does to find the product's page, is the product_id that is in the SEO'd URL (eg, the p-5831 part).

What I want this contrib to do is to see that the product name has actually changed, and then force a redirect to the new name (even though it is still pointing to the exact same product). I have product names change all the time (yes they are often only slightly, but Google still sees it as a new page, because the URL is different).

If you want to try this out, feel free to go to www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au and going to the details of a product, and then try changing the URL name (without changing the product ID in the URL) and you will see that it goes to the same product.

For example, the following URLS are all for the exact same product and DO NOT do any redirects at all:

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...nty-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...0gb-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/catalog/-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...ooo-p-3282.html

Hope that explains it.

Now, does anyone have a solution??

Cheers,

Chris

Humm, good point. Please send me a IM if you find a solution to this, as is everytime you change the title SEO makes a new url so you could have dozens of copies of the page that google has indexed ,all with the same content, which could cause google to pentalize, or dare I say ban some sites :'( thinking it was spam!

Edited by homewetbar

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Humm, good point. Please send me a IM if you find a solution to this, as is everytime you change the title SEO makes a new url so you could have dozens of copies of the page that google has indexed ,all with the same content, which could cause google to pentalize, or dare I say ban some sites :'( thinking it was spam!

Hey,

I have not found a solution to this problem yet, and I think it is a big problem for everyone. In order for it to be a problem for anyone, they simply need to have changed the name of a product. Its that simple.

If anyone can find a solution for it then it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I have no idea how to even start fixing this problem. I know the problem probably needs to be resolved in the function needs_redirect, and will need to have code in there to detect if it is a Search Engine, and if it is, then to check the URL it is coming through (i.e. the product name), and then does a permanent redirect if the URL has change. For normal users coming to our website, it doesn't matter if they come through a 'wrong' product name in the URL, but having them go through the redirect process would only slow them down, so you might as well leave them with whatever wrong URL they have (as it will still go to the correct product).

Regards,

Chris

Hey,

I have not found a solution to this problem yet, and I think it is a big problem for everyone. In order for it to be a problem for anyone, they simply need to have changed the name of a product. Its that simple.

If anyone can find a solution for it then it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I have no idea how to even start fixing this problem. I know the problem probably needs to be resolved in the function needs_redirect, and will need to have code in there to detect if it is a Search Engine, and if it is, then to check the URL it is coming through (i.e. the product name), and then does a permanent redirect if the URL has change. For normal users coming to our website, it doesn't matter if they come through a 'wrong' product name in the URL, but having them go through the redirect process would only slow them down, so you might as well leave them with whatever wrong URL they have (as it will still go to the correct product).

Regards,

Chris

I agree, actually it wouldn't even matter if it detected if it was a search engine or not that would just be another hassle to code I would think. It would just need to detect if the url had changed, and if so redirect via 301 to the proper url, for the viewer it would be pretty much not noticable and then they could bookmark the proper page as well. Unfortunately I know very little about redirects so I'm not much more help than theory, maybe someone else can lead a hand?

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347