• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hi Scott/all

I am using Easy Populate too and wondered if someone has managed to get a work around for this? I believe that supplying Google with different URLs for the same content might result in a penalty and affect ranking.

Any tips on how I can fix this?

thanks in advance

I submit my store to Froogle using the EasyPopulate contrib. However, EP uses the old style URL's - not a major problem as they get diverted (303), but anyone know of a way to get EP to product the correct URL's in the first place?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Edited by cloudchaser

Hi Scott/all

I am using Easy Populate too and wondered if someone has managed to get a work around for this? I believe that supplying Google with different URLs for the same content might result in a penalty and affect ranking.

Any tips on how I can fix this?

thanks in advance

Hey,

I have no idea how EP works, but what I would do is to download something like the googlesitemap contrib and look at how it handles converting the normal URLS to the Ultimate SEO URL's, as it does work for Ultimate SEO URL's.

I think it would be just copying a section of code and then pasting it into your EP where it outputs the URL's.

See how you go.

Sorry I cant be of anymore help.

Cheers,

Chris :)

Hey,

I have no idea how EP works, but what I would do is to download something like the googlesitemap contrib and look at how it handles converting the normal URLS to the Ultimate SEO URL's, as it does work for Ultimate SEO URL's.

I think it would be just copying a section of code and then pasting it into your EP where it outputs the URL's.

See how you go.

Sorry I cant be of anymore help.

Cheers,

Thanks Chris

I used to use Chemos Googlesitemap contrib but stopped using it since that was creating the same style of urls - i.e. product_info.php?id=xxx

I believe that there have been a few changes since I installed it (a couple of months ago) that work correctly and output the urls in UltimateSEO style.

However I have moved to another utility for creating my sitemaps - which I feel is a lot more flexible and easier for a non-programmer like me - Gsite Crawler This outputs files in a variety of formats which can then be used for Yahoo etc.

I am hoping that someone has got a fix on how to use UltimateSEO with EasyPopulate and I will be able to adapt it for my site.

cheers

Just wondering whether anyone knows how to change the need_redirect code in order to get search engines to fix up their links if the product name changes slightly (instead of google simply creating a new link).

I mentinoed about this in one of my posts on the previous page.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hi,

Is there a fix for:

when products are deleted, so instead of displaying the product not found, it redirects to the homepage?

Also does anyone know why chemo was banned?(I haven't been on osc much have i missed something?)

thanks

I have fixed the problem described below & as I expected, the problem was caused by my own mistake.

My "catalog" is not in the root directory & therefore I followed the first part in Step #6 of the documentation. Here, it indicates that you are to edit the .htaccess file in your catalog & replace "directory" to match your directory (or "catalog") file name. This is where I made the mistake. I didn't substitute the word "directory" for my catalog name. I simply added in the code:

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /directory/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Once I had figured out that I had made this mistake & changed the word "directory" to the correct path of my catalog, it worked perfectly.

Today, I installed Ultimate SEO URLs. Thank you in advance for this contrib!

I am having what is hopefully a small problem that can easily be fixed. I have read & reread previous posts but have not been able to ascertain how to fix this problem. With Ultimate SEO URL enabled, when you click on one of the categories you get the error message "HTTP 404 - File not found". For example:

With Ultimate SEO URLs enabled the link for the hardware category takes you to http://custom-farmnet.com/oscommerce/hardware-c-1.html

With Ultimate SEO URLs disabled the link for the hardware category takes you to http://custom-farmnet.com/oscommerce/index.php/cPath/1

With Ultimate SEO URL disabled, all categories & products display fine. However, with it turned on, none of the categories or products will display.

I left all the settings in the Ultimate SEO URL configuration in their default setting. I did try to disable automatic redirects (by default it is set to true) however, this didn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else had this problem & been able to fix it? Thank you in advance for your help!

Guys

Anyone got experience of a zeus webserver

Trying to install this contribution and the hosting company are saying

While we do support .htaccess files, much of the mod_rewrite functionality is not available.

However, you can use Zeus rewrite rules which work in a very similar way. For example, a mod_rewrite rule of:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule ^[^/]*\.html$ index.php

Would convert to:

match URL into $ with ^[^\/]*\.html$

if matched then

set URL = index.php

endif

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

not found in the tips and trick It let change the Product not found but whatever else you want to

the contribution keeps the page and just adds new products which are similar, so that is no use, i can't find the thread for 'product not found' could you point me in the right direction.

thanks

Hi,

I noticed there was a branching for this contribution. Chemo's 2.1d and Nventa's 2.2 being the two main branches. For lack of good information I just installed Nventa's 2.2.

However, I am unable to get it to work and I do not know where to begin the trouble shooting process. I have done the steps from the installaion twice just to make sure I got them right.

With SEO's disabled.. this is what the link looks like

http://www.acequality.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=200

With SEO's enabled.. this is what the link looks like

http://www.acequality.net/catalog/thermobak-coyote-p-200.html

Looking at the links above, I did notice that the product's name is NOT "thermobak coyote," it is in fact "THERMOBAK 3L (coyote)"

Where does the contrib get the name from? It just dropped the 3L and the brackets!

At any rate, any help greatly appreciated.

ezjam

Hi,

I noticed there was a branching for this contribution. Chemo's 2.1d and Nventa's 2.2 being the two main branches. For lack of good information I just installed Nventa's 2.2.

However, I am unable to get it to work and I do not know where to begin the trouble shooting process. I have done the steps from the installaion twice just to make sure I got them right.

With SEO's disabled.. this is what the link looks like

http://www.acequality.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=200

With SEO's enabled.. this is what the link looks like

http://www.acequality.net/catalog/thermobak-coyote-p-200.html

Looking at the links above, I did notice that the product's name is NOT "thermobak coyote," it is in fact "THERMOBAK 3L (coyote)"

Where does the contrib get the name from? It just dropped the 3L and the brackets!

At any rate, any help greatly appreciated.

ezjam

there are settings in your admin where you can determine the lenght of strings in the urls of words that need to be dropped

I'm setting up a new site and am deciding what contributions I want to install. Chemo's Official v.2.1d seems like it would be amazing but I have a few questions before I install it.

My first question is based on what stonebridgecomputing posted:

One thing I would like to see changed is that some of my product names have changed, and the links are then not updated in Google. So I think it needs the need_redirect() function to be sorted out for this (but I dont think any of the Current versions has this sorted out anyway).

1. I'm confused about the links changing. Say you have a product called Product 1 and the link to it is www.whatever.com/product1. You change the product's name from product 1 to product 2, which causes SEO URLs to automatically change the link to www.whatever.com/product2, right? If somebody goes to www.whatever.com/product1, what happens? Are they redirected to www.whatever.com/product2? Do they get an error message?

2. What are the link names based on? (i.e. just the product name, product name + category, product name + item/id/model number, etc.)

3. Does anyone know if this works with Credit Class & Gift Voucher v.5.16? That's another contribution that I plan on installing. I know that somebody posted about having problems with SEO and CCGV, but they didn't specify which versions they had.

Thank you in advance!

1. I'm confused about the links changing. Say you have a product called Product 1 and the link to it is www.whatever.com/product1. You change the product's name from product 1 to product 2, which causes SEO URLs to automatically change the link to www.whatever.com/product2, right? If somebody goes to www.whatever.com/product1, what happens? Are they redirected to www.whatever.com/product2? Do they get an error message?

2. What are the link names based on? (i.e. just the product name, product name + category, product name + item/id/model number, etc.)

this mod is based on a regular expression placed in the .htaccess file that rewrites the URL after it's called.

the product1 is turned in to your product name, putting dashes between words if necessary. You have a good amount of control in the admin panel regarding the lenght of the words that you want in your urls (if you want small words like "the" "of" "a" if you limit to 3 ,2, 1 respectively.

model number is not added

if somebody type the old url, it still understands and "goes" (in fact turns it into) the new one

see an example at: www.thefrenchybee.com

paste the following non-seo URL:

http://www.thefrenchybee.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_26_69&products_id=163

and you will see it's turned into its SEO version

Edited by pixclinic

this mod is based on a regular expression placed in the .htaccess file that rewrites the URL after it's called.

the product1 is turned in to your product name, putting dashes between words if necessary. You have a good amount of control in the admin panel regarding the lenght of the words that you want in your urls (if you want small words like "the" "of" "a" if you limit to 3 ,2, 1 respectively.

model number is not added

if somebody type the old url, it still understands and "goes" (in fact turns it into) the new one

see an example at: www.thefrenchybee.com

paste the following non-seo URL:

http://www.thefrenchybee.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_26_69&products_id=163

and you will see it's turned into its SEO version

Ah, I think you misunderstood my question. I apologize. I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I'm talking about after SEO URLs is installed. Let me rephrase what I said. Once you have SEO URLs installed, it makes the URL for a product called Product 1 www.whatever.com/product1. If you then change Product 1's name to Product 2, the URL is automatically changed to www.whatever.com/product2. If somebody goes to www.whatever.com/product1, are they redirected to www.whatever.com/product2 as they are if they go to the non-seo URL?

I hope I made that more specific. I didn't realize how unclear I was until now. I probably would have interpreted my question in the same way as you did. I need to remember that other people aren't inside of my head to know what I'm trying to convey about unless I actually say it. :P

Edited by runepidemic

Ah, I think you misunderstood my question. I apologize. I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I'm talking about after SEO URLs is installed. Let me rephrase what I said. Once you have SEO URLs installed, it makes the URL for a product called Product 1 www.whatever.com/product1. If you then change Product 1's name to Product 2, the URL is automatically changed to www.whatever.com/product2. If somebody goes to www.whatever.com/product1, are they redirected to www.whatever.com/product2 as they are if they go to the non-seo URL?

I hope I made that more specific. I didn't realize how unclear I was until now. I probably would have interpreted my question in the same way as you did. I need to remember that other people aren't inside of my head to know what I'm trying to convey about unless I actually say it. :P

Yes, because the product ID is still the same, the rewrite is only makeup, the girl is still the same ;-)

First of all, great contribution! Although it seems to have some minor problems that can hopefully be fixed.

Today I discovered that when I add a product to the shopping-cart, the link from the shopping-cart back to the product-page is not how it should be (at least not in my installation).

Example: product in shopping cart links to: /catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61{1}9

the link in from the catalog is:

/catalog/maggi-delikatess-auflaufkaesesosse-p-61.html

When I use the link from the shopping-cart it opens the right product but the image is not the right size and most importantly the attribute is not added when I add another item of this product to the cart.

I think the correct link in shopping cart should be:

/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61

which automatically changes to the seo version when clicked.

Where do I make the change in shopping cart to leave out the attribute bit {1}9?

Any help is much appreciated.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

the contribution keeps the page and just adds new products which are similar, so that is no use, i can't find the thread for 'product not found' could you point me in the right direction.

thanks

I couldnt find the thread again however I did make a copy of the info that was posted here it goes

OLD:

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There is no product that matches the search criteria.');

NEW:

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'Please call toll free 1-800-MY-STORE to check availability for this style or product. We have many discontinued or limited styles that are no longer displayed online. Our Customer Service staff is happy to check the style, size and availability for any product.<br><br> Thank you for shopping at at ' . STORE_NAME . '!<br><br><a href="mailto:' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '">' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '</a>');

Of course, edit the message and change "1-800-MY-STORE" to your shop's phone number. I also added a "Continue Shopping" button to the "/catalog/advanced_search_result.php" page.

Cheers,

EricK

Sorry for taking so long

Eric

Hey runepidemic,

The problem I explained is the following:

I have a product called (for example) Corsair 512MB DDR2 RAM, with a product ID of 5831 for example.

Now a standard link will look like this: www.mydomain.com/product_info.php?productID=5831

Now, SEO'd URLS may be: www.mydomain.com/Corsair-512MB-DDR2-RAM-p-5831.html (see how it has the product number in the SEO'd URLS? that is all that is used when it then goes and finds the product in my database).

Say that I realised that it wasn't actually 512MB DDR2 RAM, but it was only DDR RAM.

So I change the product name to Corsair 512MB DDR RAM.

Then, the new SEO'd URL would be www.mydomain.com/Corsair-512MB-DDR-RAM-p-5831.html (notice how it says DDR and not DDR2).

However, you if went to the old SEO'd URL (i.e. the one with DDR2 in the URL) then it will still open up in your web browser WITHOUT doing a redirect, as the only thing it does to find the product's page, is the product_id that is in the SEO'd URL (eg, the p-5831 part).

What I want this contrib to do is to see that the product name has actually changed, and then force a redirect to the new name (even though it is still pointing to the exact same product). I have product names change all the time (yes they are often only slightly, but Google still sees it as a new page, because the URL is different).

If you want to try this out, feel free to go to www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au and going to the details of a product, and then try changing the URL name (without changing the product ID in the URL) and you will see that it goes to the same product.

For example, the following URLS are all for the exact same product and DO NOT do any redirects at all:

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...nty-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...0gb-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/catalog/-p-3282.html

http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...ooo-p-3282.html

Hope that explains it.

Now, does anyone have a solution??

Cheers,

I would not worry about it. Google won't care and all the links work.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

google does care, and having those extra links to the same product can penalise a site, this has happened to one of my sites resulting in 4000 pages listed but as google has realised and none of the pages rank anywhere in google. (yes i know i have a worst case scenario :) )

I would be interested in a solution too

I would not worry about it. Google won't care and all the links work.

Google certainly does care.

Google has about 12,000 pages for my site, and I only have about 2000 products and about 250 categories. So there are plenty of duplicates there that need to be sorted out.

So any ideas??

Cheers,