• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hi there, I'm changing my urls into seo urls. My question is, Do you know if I should also change the links in the google feed or leave the old ones and depend on 301 redirect?

They have to be changed but if you use the googlefeeder addon that is handled automatically.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I have 2-2.2d-10 installed and last month I used the character conversion to change the word "by" to "rims" as it would add a more relevant keyword to my URL. Well, I was browsing around in the google webmaster tools and noticed a bunch of 404 errors, all of which are related to product review URLs (-pr- and -pri-). It seems that the automatic redirect function does not seem to be redirecting calls to that URL with the "by" in it to the new URL with the "rims" in it. I get the following error:

Not Found
The requested URL /all-products.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, I don't know why it is requesting the URL of "all-products.php" anyways as I don't have that file at all on my site. If it is part of a supported contribution I do not have that installed either.

I did find another user in this topic that had a similar issue (a long time ago) and it did not seem that he ever got to the bottom of his issue.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Blaine

I did find another user in this topic that had a similar issue (a long time ago) and it did not seem that he ever got to the bottom of his issue.

That's probably because such changes are not suported. If it is something obvious or simple, I will take a look but something like this would require testing and I don't have the time to do that. So you are on your own in a case like this. You could just change the name of the product to use rims instead of by and this contribution will handle the change.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The word "by" is part of the category name (by Brand) and I use the parent categories option to insert them as part of the URL. It really doesn't do anything SEO wise to have that word in the URL. So all I did was use the special character conversion to change "by" to "rims" (by => rims). All other URL's correctly redirect the traffic to the new update URL except for the product review URLs.

Jack,

Part of the issue revolves around the .htaccess file. I found it interesting that it was giving me the error about calling "all-products.php" when I don't even have that contribution or file anywhere on my site. So I removed the following line from my .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-by-(.*).html$ all-products.php?fl=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Once I did that my page started working again. However, both the before and after conversion URL's (by=>rims) work and the before URL which has the word "by" in the URL is not redirected or changed to the URL with "rims" in it. The product_info.php pages properly redirect but it does not appear that any of the product_reviews.php or product_reviews_info.php files are properly doing the 301 redirects. Any ideas why these files are not properly executing the 301 redirects?

I don't tihnk it matters that the period is missing since the search engines mostly ignore such characters. But you can try the following. I haven't tested this. In includes/classes/seo.class.php, replace

$pattern = $this->attributes['SEO_REMOVE_ALL_SPEC_CHARS'] == 'true'
										 ?	 "([^[:alnum:]])"
										 :	 "/[^a-z0-9- ]/i";

with

$pattern = $this->attributes['SEO_REMOVE_ALL_SPEC_CHARS'] == 'true'
										 ?	 "([^[:alnum:]])"
										 :	 "/[^a-z0-9-. ]/i";

Turn off the replace special characters setting and, I think, it will work. I haven't tested it though so it may cause other problems so you will have to test that.

Jack

Many thanks for this. It worked, and have not noticed anything happening to any other of the urls. They make a bit more sense now, Again thanks.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hello. Maybe its already asked but i couldnt find the answer. Once SEO is installed, do my old conventional links die completely? I have several links given by other people in blogs, forums; even google search results are linked conventionally.

Thanks,

Yavuz

Hi,

I have just installed Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_12 and it seems to be working great except that when I click on the Insert, Edit, Delete... buttons for categories or products it does not perform the action. In admin/categories.php, if I comment out the line which I inserted and go back to the original code it works again:

$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.2d

// If the action will affect the cache entries

// if ( preg_match("/(insert|update|setflag)/i", $action) ) include_once('includes/reset_seo_cache.php');

Any suggestions as to where it's going wrong much appreciated.

I have just installed Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_12 and it seems to be working great except that when I click on the Insert, Edit, Delete... buttons for categories or products it does not perform the action. In admin/categories.php, if I comment out the line which I inserted and go back to the original code it works again:

I only support my versions so I may not be able to help with the one you are using but the code that gets added to admin is pretty simple. If it is causing a problem, assuming there is not anything changed in your version to cause it, then your categories file may be coded differently than a standard file. Try uploading a standard oscommerce categories file with this one change in it. If it still fails, then it is due to the version of this contribution you are using.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I am having a new issue on a new website this time. I am getting a 403 Forbidden error problem with the following site: http://www.gain4real.com/test/

It is using osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3 with Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_12 and HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.8

If you browse around the site and click on a few random products or pages, you will see the following error message after 8 - 10 clicks:

- - - -

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /test/saizen-333-mg-p-73.html on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_qos/9.74 Server at www.gain4real.com Port 80

- - - -

I am not sure what is causing the issue. I have searched on so many forums and done everything I could to fix the issue, rechecked the installation for Ultimate SEO URLs, checked the .htaccess file settings, corrected the path for Admin cache directory and checked the file permissions of the files on the server, but nothing seems to work.

Hope you can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks

OK - I am new to this and I followed the instructions to a T..... until it said - STEP #6 - Edit .htaccess file (in your catalog directory) What is the catalog directory..... does he mean the root directory of the shop?

yes, it is the root directory.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack and everyone,

I just found out that some of my products are linked in the "wrong" categories.

I think it is from this contribution cause I had this issue only on the web (where this comtribution is), not in my test area (localhost).

After looking everywhere I finally installed this contribution in my localhost and now I have the same issue.

I explain myself with an example (breadcrumb):

Accueil » Catalogue » Colliers BIJOUTERIE » Colliers Colliers » Colliers Par pierre » Colliers Corail

when I click on an article (Collier corail et argent C-952) of the of the category list Colliers Corail, I get the right product but a wrong breadcrumb :

Accueil » Catalogue » Colliers BIJOUTERIE » Colliers Colliers » Colliers Par couleur » Colliers Rouge » Collier corail et argent C-952

As you can see, the last 2 categories changed!

(from Colliers Par pierre » Colliers Corail -> to -> Colliers Par couleur » Colliers Rouge)

in ENGLISH ;) : (from Necklaces by Stones » Necklaces Coral -> to -> Necklaces by Color » Necklaces Red)

The funny thing is that it happens only with some categories, the last ones I think!

Instead, I'd like to get this, as many others products in my website:

Accueil » Catalogue » Colliers BIJOUTERIE » Colliers Colliers » Colliers Par pierre » Colliers Corail » Collier corail et argent C-952

Any idea?

By the way, in my category menu on the left, the category name is not in "bold" anymore, only when I'm on the product page, like it is without the contribution.

Thanks

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR avec : colissimo_v1.9 // CGV // GoogleXML_sitemap - Update -> googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.5 // Ultimate SEO URLs 2.1d - Update -> v22d_12 // AntiRobotRegistrationValidation-3.1 // TinyMCE WYSIWYG HTML EDITOR // HEader Tag SEO 3.1.4 // PDF Invoice 1.5 // Specials_enhanced_v1_3_1 // quick_stock_update_v3.5_FRENCH // xmembers_v2.2 // contact_us_form_in_db_with_amin_v1.1 // photo_display_1 // previous_next_with_details // infoBox Admin v.2.25 // whosonlineturbov1.1fr // customer_discount_v1.3 // flash_bannersv2 // Horizontal_menu_V3 // Loginbox_Best_1 // CCGV // XSell_v2_7_2 // Printable Catalog XSS Flaw Fixed // all_specials_slideshow // Birthdays_v1.4 // Search_price_range_pulldown_menu_1.1 // contrib-categories // Reviews_in_Product_Display_v2.3 // Easy Graphical Borders // Simple Multiple Images (Unlimited) with Fancy Popups V1.3.5 // Guestbook V3.0 // Blacklist_IP_v.3 // Quicker Product Edit v2.1 // Chronopost_2010 // Easy Center // Size Shop with Layers // Safari-Chrome_fix // Protection to Configuration v1.3a // Page_Cache_v1.6... Thanks to everyone!

This contribution just renames the url. It doesnt change how the basic code, like adding to the breadcrumb, works. So my guess is there is some problem in your code. Many templates are coded incorrectly and may work with the contribution off but not on. So if you are using a contribution, that is a likely cause.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Oh I see, but if I take off this contribution, it's working normaly, beside not having a nice URL :(

Anyway, I will have a look on my contributions...

As you can see in my signature, I have a few B) but maybe you heard one of them has an issue or maybe you can tell me which one can interfere with it?

Thanks

Regards

PS: My template is from the official French osCommerce site, and I just added contributions

Edited by Eric B

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR avec : colissimo_v1.9 // CGV // GoogleXML_sitemap - Update -> googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.5 // Ultimate SEO URLs 2.1d - Update -> v22d_12 // AntiRobotRegistrationValidation-3.1 // TinyMCE WYSIWYG HTML EDITOR // HEader Tag SEO 3.1.4 // PDF Invoice 1.5 // Specials_enhanced_v1_3_1 // quick_stock_update_v3.5_FRENCH // xmembers_v2.2 // contact_us_form_in_db_with_amin_v1.1 // photo_display_1 // previous_next_with_details // infoBox Admin v.2.25 // whosonlineturbov1.1fr // customer_discount_v1.3 // flash_bannersv2 // Horizontal_menu_V3 // Loginbox_Best_1 // CCGV // XSell_v2_7_2 // Printable Catalog XSS Flaw Fixed // all_specials_slideshow // Birthdays_v1.4 // Search_price_range_pulldown_menu_1.1 // contrib-categories // Reviews_in_Product_Display_v2.3 // Easy Graphical Borders // Simple Multiple Images (Unlimited) with Fancy Popups V1.3.5 // Guestbook V3.0 // Blacklist_IP_v.3 // Quicker Product Edit v2.1 // Chronopost_2010 // Easy Center // Size Shop with Layers // Safari-Chrome_fix // Protection to Configuration v1.3a // Page_Cache_v1.6... Thanks to everyone!

Hi Jack,

I found out what was disturbing my categories (w00t)

In the ADMIN >> SEO URLs >> Add category parent to product URLs?

I changed from False =>> to =>> True and all is working now!

It adds at the end of the original "clean" link this (exemple of one product, ) : ?cPath=21_24_89_188

Visually not the best but it works :thumbsup:

Now I just wonder if my Google ranking will be as it was!

So far, I have tested on my localhost many old links (without "?cPath=21_24_89_188") and they seem to be OK.

What do you think about Google Ranking, will it be an issue from my old links to the new ones?

Also, all categories and products with accents (French) are giving a wrong text in the URLs:

from améthyste to améthyste

Do you know how to correct this?

Thanks

Edited by Eric B

What do you think about Google Ranking, will it be an issue from my old links to the new ones?

Also, all categories and products with accents (French) are giving a wrong text in the URLs:

from améthyste to améthyste

Do you know how to correct this?

The numbers won't affect the ranking. For the characters, you need to use the character conversion option in the settings.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack,

I realized it just after I sent the post.

All is working well now...