• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

I am sorry if this has been brought up earlier. Would this take care of Session IDs in URS being picked up by search engines as well or we need to put a fix for that separately? Thanks.

Your configure file has to be setup correctly to not show the session ID's in the url. There are several posts in this thread to a thread that explains how to setup the configure file. But that won't stop them from being picked up by the search engines. That is handled by the Prevent Spider Sessions setting in Session in admin.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Your configure file has to be setup correctly to not show the session ID's in the url. There are several posts in this thread to a thread that explains how to setup the configure file. But that won't stop them from being picked up by the search engines. That is handled by the Prevent Spider Sessions setting in Session in admin.

Thanks Jack, for quick response. I am very new to this. I am not worried about showing the session id in url when viewed by the customers. I am only worried about urls with session ids being indexed by search engines and then causing security issues. Are you saying that the only solution to stopping search engines from grabbing urls with session ids is to Prevent Spider Settings altogether?

Thanks Jack, for quick response. I am very new to this. I am not worried about showing the session id in url when viewed by the customers. I am only worried about urls with session ids being indexed by search engines and then causing security issues. Are you saying that the only solution to stopping search engines from grabbing urls with session ids is to Prevent Spider Settings altogether?

Just because the SID's aren't visible in the url does not mean they are not assigned. That setting is meant for that purpose alone and will only effect the search engines so it is perfectly safe to use. In fact, it should always be set to on. The one time it doesn't matter is if you use force cookies setting, which you should not do.

These questions don't have to do with this contribution though so if you have follow-ups or others, please post in the appropriate place.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

my cache fileis is 2.956kb and when i gzip the file it becomes .675 kb. as far as the page load time which way should i go?

2.95kb is very little you also should note that gzip will reduce only the file size on the server .. server load is quite significantly increased both storing and retrieving .. so why bother.

2.95kb is very little you also should note that gzip will reduce only the file size on the server .. server load is quite significantly increased both storing and retrieving .. so why bother.

thanks. i was more interested in the speed. you cleared up my confusion

Edited by tedbooks

There is a -p- followed by a number at the end of each URL, which I guess is required for this addon to work. Currently I refresh my database each night, and in the process I get all new numbers added to my URLs, which is obviously bad for SEO. If this is the product number, it should be easy for our code to retain these in order to prevent my URL's from changing, but could someone confirm exactly what this number is, so that we could adjust our code accordingly?

There is a -p- followed by a number at the end of each URL, which I guess is required for this addon to work. Currently I refresh my database each night, and in the process I get all new numbers added to my URLs, which is obviously bad for SEO. If this is the product number, it should be easy for our code to retain these in order to prevent my URL's from changing, but could someone confirm exactly what this number is, so that we could adjust our code accordingly?

Yes, it is the product ID, in case of a -p-. A -c- is a category ID, and so on.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, it is the product ID, in case of a -p-. A -c- is a category ID, and so on.

Thanks Jack! Do you think a redesign of this addon module could eliminate the product and category ID numbers? Maybe a lookup table or something could be used to cross-reference text only URL's to products in the database? I think for a lot of us, these numbers cause some real problems, and a shorter URL is always better.

Thanks Jack! Do you think a redesign of this addon module could eliminate the product and category ID numbers? Maybe a lookup table or something could be used to cross-reference text only URL's to products in the database? I think for a lot of us, these numbers cause some real problems, and a shorter URL is always better.

It has been mentioned many times, though it has no effect with regards to SEO. It is on my list of things to look into though, for what's that's worth, since it won't be anytime soon.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

i re-installed it (again, i've done this about 3 times now)

and this is my new error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls() (previously declared in /home/**/public_html/**/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1358) in /home/**/public_html/**/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1373

any help?? i'm getting depserate. this is my second SEO contribution i've tried :(

how do you resolve this issue

ive got the same problem, admin login comes up with this

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls() (previously declared in /clientdata/n5200-2-dynamic/o/n/mysite.com/www/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1486) in /clientdata/n5200-2-dynamic/o/n/mysite.com/www/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1525

line 1525 is the last line just above the ending ?> tag

thoughts?

// Function to reset SEO URLs database cache entries

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.2d

function tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls($action){

switch ($action){

case 'reset':

case 'uninstall':

tep_db_query("DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_name LIKE '%seo_urls%'");

tep_db_query("UPDATE configuration SET configuration_value='false' WHERE configuration_key='SEO_URLS_CACHE_RESET'");

if ($action == 'reset') break;

tep_db_query("DELETE FROM configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_title LIKE '%seo_urls%'");

tep_db_query("DELETE FROM configuration WHERE configuration_key LIKE 'SEO%' OR configuration_key LIKE 'USE_SEO%'");

break;

default:

break;

}

# The return value is used to set the value upon viewing

# It's NOT returining a false to indicate failure!!

return 'false';

}

?>

Edited by freelancement

how do you resolve this issue

ive got the same problem, admin login comes up with this

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls() (previously declared in /clientdata/n5200-2-dynamic/o/n/mysite.com/www/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1486) in /clientdata/n5200-2-dynamic/o/n/mysite.com/www/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1525

It means the code is included twice. Search the general.php file for "function tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls." There should only be one instance.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

[*]How i can use persian {farsi (like Arabic) , utf-8} characters in URL with this package?

[*]If there isn't any way to use Persian characters, what we have to change in this package?

In general, if the characters will display without this contribution, they should display with it. You can use the character conversion setting in admin for any characters that need converting.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

In general, if the characters will display without this contribution, they should display with it. You can use the character conversion setting in admin for any characters that need converting.

Thanks for your respond

But i have this problem yet.

My product name is : فیلم انقلا

it's in Persian (utf-8) and i add below line at SEO Configuration field on admin (Enter Special Character Conversion), this line include all of characters on this product name :

ف=>ف,ی=>ی,ل=>ل,م=>م,ا=>ا,ن=>ن,ق=>ق,ل=>ل,ب=>ب

But the URL don't show Persian characters on URL, you can see this test on : http://storex.ir/catalog/index.php (Newest product)

Edited by b.tavakkoli

it's in Persian (utf-8) and i add below line at SEO Configuration field on admin (Enter Special Character Conversion), this line include all of characters on this product name :

But the URL don't show Persian characters on URL, you can see this test on : http://storex.ir/catalog/index.php (Newest product)

If you turn Ultimate SEO off does the url appear as you want, other than not being rewritten? Urls won't work with non-latin characters, at least not commonly yet.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for your respond

But i have this problem yet.

Also on note:

When i insert below line:

on "Special Character Conversion) and save that, it save as below :

It doesn't make any problem?

Why you say URLs won't work with non-latin characters, we have many sites powered by joomla or wordpress that give us rewritten URL with Persian compatibility. like below sites:

http://zebardast.ir/

http://behra.ir/

Urls can only be sent over the internet using the ASCII character set which is why the PHP function urlencode() exists.

This should be a good reference http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

Urls can only be sent over the internet using the ASCII character set which is why the PHP function urlencode() exists.

This should be a good reference http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

Yes, URLs can only be sent over the internet using ASCII characters, But my questions is different !

Please open below URL on web browser, You can see Persian characters on URL. this is the ability of Apache to change the URLs (I know that you know)

http://zebardast.ir/%DA%86%DA%AF%D9%88%D9%86%D9%87-%D8%A8%D9%87-%D9%85%D8%B4%D8%AA%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8%AE%D9%88%D8%AF-%D9%86%D9%87-%D8%A8%DA%AF%D9%88%DB%8C%DB%8C%D9%85%D8%9F/

My question is what can i do to have Persian characters on URLs of my oscommerce site? I know that is possible and i see a oscommerce site with Persian characters on URL, So that's not impossible ! :)

thanks a lot

Edited by b.tavakkoli

Just installed this for my site. Works Great. This is highly recommended...

One question though. Google indexes my site without www, eg. like example.com instead of www.example.com. Is this because of this contribution? Is there a way to get indexed with www, eg. like www.example.com.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by troubleshooter2000

Just installed this for my site. Works Great. This is highly recommended...

One question though. Google indexes my site without www, eg. like example.com instead of www.example.com. Is this because of this contribution? Is there a way to get indexed with www, eg. like www.example.com.

Thanks in advance...

The www, or lack of it, comes from the includes/configure.php file. If you have that setup correctly, then all of your shops links should be formatted as you want. If they are not, then you may be using hard-coded links, which is a mistake. You may also want to look at this thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

BIG BUG for multilanguage shop (depends on the viewing language):

-google DO NOT index other language URLs (except default one)

- you are not able to send a link to someone with the product in other language (will be redirect or show in different language - for older "Ultimate SEO URLs" version)

Examples:

If your default shop language is English (very important), then when you type following url address

www.yoursite.com/superproduit-p-30.html (French)

Then automatically redirect (when you watch a shop in other language then French!!!) to:

www.yoursite.com/superproduct-p-30.html (English)

But there are two different sites!!!

In previous version of "Ultimate SEO URLs" , when you type:

Then URL stay the same, but everything is written in English (but should be in French)

I think that to resolve the BUG, should be to add language tag to URL, for example:

www.yoursite.com/superproduct-p-30en.html (english version)

www.yoursite.com/superproduit-p-30fr.html (french version)

www.yoursite.com/superprodukt-p-30de.html (german version)

Do you have any idea how to fix it?? Thank you in advance.

BIG BUG for multilanguage shop (depends on the viewing language):

-google DO NOT index other language URLs (except default one)

- you are not able to send a link to someone with the product in other language (will be redirect or show in different language - for older "Ultimate SEO URLs" version)

Examples:

If your default shop language is English (very important), then when you type following url address

Then automatically redirect (when you watch a shop in other language then French!!!) to:

But there are two different sites!!!

In previous version of "Ultimate SEO URLs" , when you type:

Then URL stay the same, but everything is written in English (but should be in French)

I think that to resolve the BUG, should be to add language tag to URL, for example:

www.yoursite.com/superproduct-p-30en.html (english version)

www.yoursite.com/superproduit-p-30fr.html (french version)

www.yoursite.com/superprodukt-p-30de.html (german version)

Do you have any idea how to fix it?? Thank you in advance.

It is not a bug .. neither this ( Chemos original Seo Urls ) nor osCommerce itself has anything in place to handle multi language SEO.

The only one that can do this is currently in beta testing ( for those who are willing to test it ).

Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO