• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hi, I'm working on an osC shop that is using this contribution.

I have one problem that look simple.

I do changes on the pages (index.php and product_info.php) and they don't show up online, only if I turn off the contribution.

I tried to do a clean cache on the admin panel but it also didn't work out.

I think it is more likely a server cache issue. But you can do the following to try to isolate that. First, be sure it is the latest version - 2.2d_5. Then make sure there isn't a cache addon installed. Then try running it with all of the options in admin->Configuration->SEO URLs turned off except for the first one. If it is still failing after that, it is almost certanly a server issue. You will need to contact the host to see if they have a caching option enabled.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's working . . . oddly.

I just did an install of this contribution (Thanks by the way.) After uploading all the additions and edits I initially got a blank, white screen. I tried reversing the edits one doc at a time till by elimination I found that it worked by NOT using the changes to the general.php file and the application_top.php file. Can't use those.

It works with only the html_output.php and .htaccess edits.

As far as the categories.php edits, it can go either way. Doesn't help or doesn't break it.

I did also experiment with turning the "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" in the Configuration admin page. I turn it on and the pretty urls work, but when I check up on it, I see that the value has reverted back to "False."

I know, since it works I should probably not be trying to fix it, but this is curious and curiouser. Should I go deeper into this Wonderland, or just leave it alone and be glad it's working?

"Alice"

BTW, my store does have maybe half a dozen mod's already installed. I'm on MS2 and the Ultimate SEO I'm using is what's currently on top of the download list.

Edited by keress

I just did an install of this contribution (Thanks by the way.) After uploading all the additions and edits I initially got a blank, white screen. I tried reversing the edits one doc at a time till by elimination I found that it worked by NOT using the changes to the general.php file and the application_top.php file. Can't use those.

Then it is not installed correctly and will fail to work properly.

It works with only the html_output.php and .htaccess edits.

It may seem to work but it isn't.

As far as the categories.php edits, it can go either way. Doesn't help or doesn't break it.

That controls reseting the settings. Not having it can cause you problems.

I did also experiment with turning the "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" in the Configuration admin page. I turn it on and the pretty urls work, but when I check up on it, I see that the value has reverted back to "False."

That option should never be used, whether you use this contribution or not. If you do use this contribution, it automatically turns that option off.

I know, since it works I should probably not be trying to fix it, but this is curious and curiouser. Should I go deeper into this Wonderland, or just leave it alone and be glad it's working?

It's not working, at least not properly based on what you said above. I suppose it is possible that there was already a version installed so when you added the new code, it caused problems.

BTW, my store does have maybe half a dozen mod's already installed. I'm on MS2 and the Ultimate SEO I'm using is what's currently on top of the download list.

You can't go by what's on top of the list (whatever that is). The correct version to use is

2-2.2d-5.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I have just installed your great contribution "Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_5" on a new german oscommerce-2.2rc2a shop. It works so far, but I'm having problems with nouns in the category names. For example:

If I point on the category-name

"Hühner" in the categories-box, then it rightly shows:

"http://www.domain.de/huehner-c-25.html"

But once I click on the article "Hühnerfutter", in the adress bar the product-name is right, but the category-name is shown wrong:

"http://www.domain.de/h%FChner-huehnerfutter-p-28.html"

and furthermore I get an redirect error.

In the footer it shows:

"http://www.domain.de/hühner-huehnerfutter-p-28.html"

Would be great if you could help me with this. Thank you in advance.

Tom

If I point on the category-name

"Hühner" in the categories-box, then it rightly shows:

"http://www.domain.de/huehner-c-25.html"

Shouldn't the correct link be http://www.domain.de/huhner-c-25.html?

But once I click on the article "Hühnerfutter", in the adress bar the product-name is right, but the category-name is shown wrong:

"http://www.domain.de/h%FChner-huehnerfutter-p-28.html"

Do you know where the h%FChner is coming from?

Have you entered the characters with the accents into the special characters setting in admin?

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi guys,

I've installed SEO URL, I've followed the instructions.

And when you call: http://localhost/catalog/index.php the server sends to you a white page.

If you open the apache log, there are row like this: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_convert_case() in /xxxx/xxxxx/x/x/x/xxxxxxxx/html/catgalog/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1570 "

Could you help me?

Thanks.

Daniel

If you open the apache log, there are row like this: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_convert_case() in /xxxx/xxxxx/x/x/x/xxxxxxxx/html/catgalog/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1570 "

A few hosts don't have that php function enabled in their installations. You can ask your host to recompile their php so that they do but they may not. If you search the includes/classes/seo.class.php file for mb_convert_case, you'll find one instance of it followed by a line that starts with //. Add // in front of the line with mb_convert_case and remove the // from the beginning of the other line and it should work for you. The actual code is mentioned elsewhere in this thread if you want to look that up. Or (and this is the preferred method), you can always use google to search. It would save you a lot of time and aggravation by doing so. Here are the results of the search I did for you.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Shouldn't the correct link be http://www.domain.de/huhner-c-25.html?Do you know where the h%FChner is coming from?

Have you entered the characters with the accents into the special characters setting in admin?

Jack,

yes, I did enter all necessary special charakters needed for german language. But the main issue was the redirect error I got constantly. To avoid that, I set the "Enable automatic redirects" to "false" and now all of a sudden it works.

The urls show like that now in the adress bar:

1.) http://www.domain.de/huehner-c-25.html

2.) http://www.domain.de/hühner-huehnerfutter-p-28.html

Altough I don't understand, why the noun "ü" in the second url doesn't get converted into "ue" like in "huehner" and "huehnerfutter". But I think that won't do any harm.

Anyway I'm happy, thank you! I appreciate your help very much.

God bless and Happy New Year,

Tom

Great contribution. I am however having a few problems. It works fine with most titles, but if there is a product with a forward slash or apostrophe in the name, it creates a loop wherein the browser stops and reports the following error.

"Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

For example, if a product were named Avengers / Invaders #1, the URL would attempt to be

http://mydomain.com/comics-marvel-avengers-/-invaders-avengersinvaders1-p-28213.html

...and with the apostrophe, a name like "Orson Scott Card's Wyrms #1A" as the title creates a URL like http://mydomain.com/comics-marvel-orson-scott-card's-wyrms-orsonscottcardswyrms1a-p-20153.html and will fail with the same error as previously mentioned.

I've installed the most recent version (2.2d-5) and tried various things in the "special character conversions". Currently using '=>-,/=>- , but have tried other html character entities for the forward slash and apostrophe as well.

Also, I have the filter short words to 3 and have remove all non-letters and non-numbers set to true.

I've looked through the thread, but haven't found anyone with this same problem or a solution. Any ideas?

Thank you,

-Thomas

Great contribution. I am however having a few problems. It works fine with most titles, but if there is a product with a forward slash or apostrophe in the name, it creates a loop wherein the browser stops and reports the following error.

"Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

For example, if a product were named Avengers / Invaders #1, the URL would attempt to be

http://mydomain.com/comics-marvel-avengers-/-invaders-avengersinvaders1-p-28213.html

...and with the apostrophe, a name like "Orson Scott Card's Wyrms #1A" as the title creates a URL like http://mydomain.com/comics-marvel-orson-scott-card's-wyrms-orsonscottcardswyrms1a-p-20153.html and will fail with the same error as previously mentioned.

I've installed the most recent version (2.2d-5) and tried various things in the "special character conversions". Currently using '=>-,/=>- , but have tried other html character entities for the forward slash and apostrophe as well.

Also, I have the filter short words to 3 and have remove all non-letters and non-numbers set to true.

I've looked through the thread, but haven't found anyone with this same problem or a solution. Any ideas?

Thank you,

-Thomas

The stable version is 2.1d ORIGINAL updated .. I have just uploaded a new version "Ultimate Seo Urls 2.1d STABLE FINAL" which "should" become the new stable version but has yet to be tested in anger and so at this stage cannot take that mantle.

Version 2.2d-5 is severely flawed and should not be used.

Edited by FWR Media

The stable version is 2.1d ORIGINAL updated .. I have just uploaded a new version "Ultimate Seo Urls 2.1d STABLE FINAL" which "should" become the new stable version but has yet to be tested in anger and so at this stage cannot take that mantle.

Robert,

Thanks for the great info! I used this stable version and it's working like a champ! It was definitely something not functioning correctly in the 2.2d-5 version. Thanks a million times for that. I'd already burned several hours on it.

Best Regards,

-Thomas

Hi,

I was using Version 2.2d-5 before.

As my server is running PHP5.2+ I've tried to install your Version, but I receive an Frontend error:

"1054 - Unknown column 'info_title' in 'field list'

SELECT information_id as id, info_title as name FROM information WHERE languages_id='2'

[TEP STOP]"

Could you please tell me what to do.

Thank you.

Tom

Hi,

I was using Version 2.2d-5 before.

As my server is running PHP5.2+ I've tried to install your Version, but I receive an Frontend error:

"1054 - Unknown column 'info_title' in 'field list'

SELECT information_id as id, info_title as name FROM information WHERE languages_id='2'

[TEP STOP]"

Could you please tell me what to do.

Thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom

The versions I upload are based on the original and the contributor of information pages, in his wisdom decided to change the field name in the database.

The newer version uses information_title the older uses info_title

All you need do is open up includes/classes seo.class.php search for the one instance of info_title, change it to information_title.

Hi Tom

The versions I upload are based on the original and the contributor of information pages, in his wisdom decided to change the field name in the database.

The newer version uses information_title the older uses info_title

All you need do is open up includes/classes seo.class.php search for the one instance of info_title, change it to information_title.

In seo.class.php line 812 I changed:

" $sql = "SELECT information_id as id, info_title as name FROM " . TABLE_INFORMATION . " WHERE languages_id='" . (int)$this->languages_id . "'";"

to:

" $sql = "SELECT information_id as id, information_title as name FROM " . TABLE_INFORMATION . " WHERE languages_id='" . (int)$this->languages_id . "'";"

and the next error is:

"1054 - Unknown column 'languages_id' in 'where clause'

SELECT information_id as id, information_title as name FROM information WHERE languages_id='2'

[TEP STOP]"

What can I do now?

Thank you

Tom

Dear Robert Fisher,

Am new to OSCommerce. I have installed contribution Ultimate Seo Urls v2.7(code added) (02 Jul 2009). After that i just reset the "Reset SEO URLs Cache". Now it showing

1146 - Table 'database_db.cache' doesn't exist

DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_name LIKE '%seo_urls%'

[TEP STOP]

And now my site is showing blank page. And in admin side SEO URLs relates is not showing for to enable/disable options.

Please help me what i have to do to make them work properly.

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Varun S

Edited by varunweber

In seo.class.php line 812 I changed:

" $sql = "SELECT information_id as id, info_title as name FROM " . TABLE_INFORMATION . " WHERE languages_id='" . (int)$this->languages_id . "'";"

to:

" $sql = "SELECT information_id as id, information_title as name FROM " . TABLE_INFORMATION . " WHERE languages_id='" . (int)$this->languages_id . "'";"

and the next error is:

"1054 - Unknown column 'languages_id' in 'where clause'

SELECT information_id as id, information_title as name FROM information WHERE languages_id='2'

[TEP STOP]"

What can I do now?

Thank you

Tom

Another change he made .. same query change languages_id to language_id. I think I will change the core package to relfect the newer version but it isn't worth a version just for this.

Dear Robert Fisher,

Am new to OSCommerce. I have installed contribution Ultimate Seo Urls v2.7(code added) (02 Jul 2009). After that i just reset the "Reset SEO URLs Cache". Now it showing

1146 - Table 'database_db.cache' doesn't exist

DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_name LIKE '%seo_urls%'

[TEP STOP]

And now my site is showing blank page. And in admin side SEO URLs relates is not showing for to enable/disable options.

Please help me what i have to do to make them work properly.

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Varun S

The database aspects are not installing but should auto install.

2.7 is an unsupported version. You should replace it with a stable version.

Current stable version is 2.1d ORIGINAL updated.

I have just yesterday uploaded a version which "should" become the new stable version but I cannot call it as such until it gets more hard usage.