• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

I removed that option since it made no since from an SEO perspective, which is the main reason for this contribution. Having the name of the category is much better than having a number. Is there some functional reason why you need the number shown? I'll add it back in if I missed some reason for having it. If not, you should use the include category option.

I have installed contribution "Category Tabs with Subs" installed in my shop. This contri gets the cPath-ID by using the GET-method. Showing additional ?cPath=XX in the URL isn't harming the SEO-process, since the searchengines get rid of it in most cases anyway.

As I have no comparison to other category-navigations, it would be interesting to know, how these navigations find out wether they are "highlighted" or not. Do they extract part of the URL?

I have installed contribution "Category Tabs with Subs" installed in my shop. This contri gets the cPath-ID by using the GET-method. Showing additional ?cPath=XX in the URL isn't harming the SEO-process, since the searchengines get rid of it in most cases anyway.

As I have no comparison to other category-navigations, it would be interesting to know, how these navigations find out wether they are "highlighted" or not. Do they extract part of the URL?

If a contribution is relying on the output of another it is incorrectly written. The cpath is generated by the core code of oscommerce. Ultimate SEO doesn't create it, it just copies it. So that contribution needs to be fixed so that it fetches the cpath in the correct way.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Since you didn't state what version you are using, I can only guess at the problem. But assuming you are using v2.2d_5, the problem is most likely that your configure file is not setup correctly. Specifically the DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG definition. If it is empty, that is the problem.

What should be in "DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG" it was blank? I am running v2.2d_5.

Thanks Tim

How to secure your site. A must read

What should be in "DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG" it was blank? I am running v2.2d_5.

Thanks Tim

Dependent on the site access ..

•  
  • www.mysite.com/ = /
  • www.mysite.com/catalog/ = /catalog/
  • www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = /catalog/shop/

That is what I thought. I put the "/" in there and I am still getting:

Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter in /home/content/xxx/xxxx/html/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 2216

Where should I look next?

Tim

That is what I thought. I put the "/" in there and I am still getting:

Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter in /home/content/xxx/xxxx/html/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 2216

Where should I look next?

Tim

That means that DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG is still empty if it contained / you wouldn't get that error.

Post your includes/configure.php file here being sure to leave out the database details.

Man I feel like a D.A. (Dumb Azz) it was still blank. My ftp was not overwriting the file since it was 444. Sorry guys not trying to be a vampire. :-"

Thanks for your insight. You guys rock. :ph34r:

Tim

Any other idea about what can cause this? I did change the application_top.php for this contribution but if I put the old one on the website it's still the problem..

Those files are definately missing .. your error states ..

includes/functions/

But don't forget you are in the admin panel so the files that are missing are in ..

ADMIN/includes/functions/

Hoping someone can help.

I am playing with the code and want to add filters to product listings. Because I want to be able to include multiple filters and arrays, it would be better to create a POST form rather than the standard GET form that the product listing query uses (limited charcters in URL and passing array issues).

I have changed the coding in the 'products' section of the index.php, but am having a problem with passing the form variables. It appears that I need to have the SEO URL version of the path in the form action (eg. mysite.com/my_product_name-c-22_24.html) rather than the standard osc path (mysite.com/index.php?cPath=24). Is there someone of rewriting the path in the tep_draw_form function so it will rewrite the url into the form itself.

I have tested this by hard coding the <form> field to the SEO URL version of the path, and the variable is passed OK, but will not pass if the standard osc path is used. It appears to me that this is definitely a SEO URL issue, and that I somehow need to rewrite the URL in the tep_draw_form funtion.

Any one got any ideas?

My latest osCommerce work in progress

no outside links in signatures allowed, see PM

I have changed the coding in the 'products' section of the index.php, but am having a problem with passing the form variables. It appears that I need to have the SEO URL version of the path in the form action (eg. mysite.com/my_product_name-c-22_24.html) rather than the standard osc path (mysite.com/index.php?cPath=24). Is there someone of rewriting the path in the tep_draw_form function so it will rewrite the url into the form itself.

The SEO form of the url is not needed. The code should work fine with either. I suggest you post a question in the general forum containing the actual url code you are using. It is probably due to not have it coded in an oscommerce-friendly way.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hoping someone can help.

I am playing with the code and want to add filters to product listings. Because I want to be able to include multiple filters and arrays, it would be better to create a POST form rather than the standard GET form that the product listing query uses (limited charcters in URL and passing array issues).

I have tested this by hard coding the <form> field to the SEO URL version of the path, and the variable is passed OK, but will not pass if the standard osc path is used. It appears to me that this is definitely a SEO URL issue, and that I somehow need to rewrite the URL in the tep_draw_form funtion.

Any one got any ideas?

The above reply is incorrect.

No you can't use the standard osCommerce url in the form simply because Ultimate seo urls is designed to 301 redirect these to the new seo url therefore you would lose the POST (as long as it is a fully working version of the old series 2 like 2.1d ORIGINAL updated)

You should write the form action using tep_href_link like ..

tep_href_link( FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=24')

This way the link will be correctly produced and your form will work.

Edited by FWR Media

The above reply is incorrect.

Assuming this is referring to my reply?

You should write the form action using tep_href_link like ..

tep_href_link( FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=24')

This way the link will be correctly produced and your form will work.

When I said both forms, that is what I meant, which is why I said oscommerce-friendly and is why I asked the op to post hiscode since the ones posted wouldn't work.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for this very useful Add-on.

I already installed the Google XML Sitemap SEO on my OSC store .and I will to install the Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-5 next.

Are the two Add-ons compatible ?

or

I need to make some change before I install Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-5?

Thanks in advance.

Are the two Add-ons compatible ?

or

I need to make some change before I install Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-5?

Completely compatible - no changes necessary.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

This looks like exactly what I was looking for! The fact that t seems I don't need to do any database work during the install is the kicker : )

Questions though..of course : )

I have rc2.2a, htc seo, sts 4.5.8 installed any issue droping in this contrib ( Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_5 )? I noticed in the install instructions it mentions a sterile install of osc and obviously I have a few contribs in place so is it ok to use the install instructions as is or would I need to modify the process.

Thanks for any advise.

Way to go again Jack thanks for all you do for OSC!

I have rc2.2a, htc seo, sts 4.5.8 installed any issue droping in this contrib ( Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_5 )? I noticed in the install instructions it mentions a sterile install of osc and obviously I have a few contribs in place so is it ok to use the install instructions as is or would I need to modify the process.

Completely compatible - no changes necessary.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thats just too good to be true : )

I did notice for the .htaccess there are some wild cards in the rewrite, my concern would be that someone could link to the site and put something like www.mysite.com/somecrappyproductyoudontwanttobuy.html as the link, does the additon of the query string portion negate that posibility because it will cause the script to check for the actuall page?

Last question before I install is do I need to set up caching in admin, I currently dont use any caching features in osc because of my css drop down menus get lost with cache enabled.

I did notice for the .htaccess there are some wild cards in the rewrite, my concern would be that someone could link to the site and put something like www.mysite.com/somecrappyproductyoudontwanttobuy.html as the link, does the additon of the query string portion negate that posibility because it will cause the script to check for the actuall page?

Last question before I install is do I need to set up caching in admin, I currently dont use any caching features in osc because of my css drop down menus get lost with cache enabled.

Series 2 usu does not validate uris at all so

www.mysite.com/somecrappyproductyoudontwanttobuy-p-32.html

Would link to the same page as ..

www.mysite.com/my-real-product-p-32.html

If you are on PHP5.2+ you can use USU5 (link in my sig) which not only validates the uri but also secures the query string.

Edited by FWR Media

The rewrites are for known items, like products, and those are verified so any other url entered will not work or will be redirected to the correct page, depending upon the url. The contribution handles its own caching so that is not needed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok so I do or don't need to be concerened about

www.mysite.com/somecrappyproductyoudontwanttobuy-p-32.html

Would link to the same page as ..

www.mysite.com/my-real-product-p-32.html

I have heard of some unscrupulous competitors pulling tricks like that to hit a sites ranking.

Thanks in advance for all your guys help.

I have heard of some unscrupulous competitors pulling tricks like that to hit a sites ranking.

Urls should be validated for several reasons.

1) As you mentioned above.

2) You may make a change via usu admin e.g. add category parents or change the short word removal. This will create a new uri and should be 301 redirected.

3) You may change the name of a product .. this should be 301 redirected.

If you have to stay with series 2 seo urls then I wrote a seperate contribution ages ago called independent seo urls validation which accomplishes this task, it was written to work with version 2.1d original updated, whether it will work with the versions that are now being put up I really couldn't say.

You're paying attention to an old-wives tale. I can't imagine a site would bother doing that but, if they did, the only way they can do it is through a link to your site, which would have little affect on your site. If a hundred different sites decided to create such links to your site, it might have some, small, affect on your PR but it won't affect your index position with the search engines in any way at all. Otherwise, any shop on the web could destroy all of its competitors. It just isn't possible. But, regardless, it is not a concern with the latest version of this contribution since the code will redirect it properly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons