• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

No joy on the experiment of revising the tep_draw_form('goto', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) code.

The "official" version was

echo tep_draw_form('goto', FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', '');

and produced the following form in the html:

<div class="leftHeaderBox">Manufacturers</div>

<!-- Start Category Menu -->

<form name="goto" action="index.php" method="get"><select name="cPath" onChange="this.form.submit();"><option value="0">Please Select</option><option value="410">Specials</option><option value="425">Closeouts</option><option value="454">A & G</option><option value="22">Accu Wedge</option><option value="453">Ace Stocks</option><option value="413">AmeriGlo</option><option value="414">Parts</option>

Changing the code to:

echo tep_draw_form('goto', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT), 'get', '');

produced the following results:

<div class="leftHeaderBox">Manufacturers</div>

<!-- Start Category Menu -->

<form name="goto" action="http://www.xxxl.com/osc/index.php" method="get"><select name="cPath" onChange="this.form.submit();"><option value="0">Please Select</option><option value="410">Specials</option><option value="425">Closeouts</option><option value="454">A & G</option><option value="22">Accu Wedge</option><option value="453">Ace Stocks</option><option value="413">AmeriGlo</option><option value="414">Parts</option>

The only difference, the full url is now inserted into the "action". This change made no difference at all when clicking on a link. After the change, the url still apears as: http://www.xxx.com/osc/index.php?cPath=414.

So, this is not the solution. What was provided in USU as far as changes fior the htaccess file is:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-([0-9]+).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-([0-9]+).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-([0-9]+).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Should not the 2nd one above ( bolded) be converting the clicked url out of the form? Ithat is the intention, it is not. When a url is clicked out of a form, is the control path different than that of clicking a html style url? Something is not working here in these two forms, but it works everyplace else, straight out of the box contribution code. I still have to wonder if forms were thought of when Chemo did this.

I've been going through getting my site updated to the rc2 version. Figured I'd check to see if this contrib had been updated.

Am I correct in assuming the one to use is 2.1d dated 23 Feb 2008? As Robert so correctly put, the carnage to this contrib has been extensive.

Yes, his works perfectly (except on a windows server I beleive).

Are the extra letters you are refering to the ?osCsid=1fad60c25a7499e804e74bf55e9c93b2

?

If so, this is an unrelated problem. This is a problem with cookies on your website. Do a search on these forums for cookie fix or sessions or simular.

I am having this problem, can someone point me to the cookies fix? I think these long URLs are affecting my search engine placings :(

Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, UK Garrison

Ghostbuster "Dr Smith"

sherry are you on a WinDoze server? as this won't work with that.

If linux, 2.1d does not have such errors, go back over the install instructions one by one replacing the existing code.

Ensure that rewriteBase is correct in .htaccess too.

I have the 2.1D version working fine now...except that in Firefox I get an error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home/research/public_html/bekleen/store/includes/application_top.php on line 319

when I try to pull up: http://bekleen.com/store/-c-35.html

I am having this problem, can someone point me to the cookies fix? I think these long URLs are affecting my search engine placings :(

Well,in Configuration: Sessions, you should have Prevent Spider Session set to Y. There is an old contribution: Prevent Spider Sessions which has some good info on how to deal with the session Id. Iirc, there is another old contribution Sid Killer which is an option for you to look at.

Edited by cactustactical

I've been using this contribution successfully for a long time now. I have kind of figured out how to add new pages to the rewrite rules, but now I need to go a step farther.

I have a new php page that builds itself using multiple options. Make, Model, Year. How do I make Ultimate SEO work for multiple options.

For example:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-filter-(.*).html$ filter.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

will turn

filter.php?make=Acura

into

-filter-Acura.html

Is it possible to use these rewrites to turn

filter.php?make=Acura&model=Integra+B&year=2000

into something like

-filter-Acura-Integra_B-2000.html

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

An update to the issue of Box forms not being converted to SEO urls.

The Manufacturer Box has an option to create a html list instead of the drop down form. I changed the setting to create the html and the urls were created in the SEO'ed style. Changed the setting back to drop down form, nope, nada, nothing. Clicking on one takes you to a page with the default style url as reported before.

As I suspected, I really do not believe that Chemo's contribution was set up in such a way to convert url's out of a drop down form. Code is all standard, any link clicked out of a box just is not converted.

Hello,

I just installed this and All I get is a blank page when I go to my site. I have reviewed everything over and over but I did everything right. Register globals is on and I dont believe that would cause an issue. the site is a fresh install.

In the admin page on the configuration, it doesnt show the configuration settings for this mod.

Hello,

in the after_install.html file it's written :

Header Tags SEO:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

Would be ..

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

ob_start();

$preventDuplicates->checkTarget(ob_get_clean());

echo $preventDuplicates->finalMeta . "\n";

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

I've STS installed, i think i have to modificate the file : includes/modules/sts_inc/headertags.php

like this :

<?php
/*
 $Id: headertags.php,v 1.0 2005/11/03 23:55:58 rigadin Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2005 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

STS PLUS v4 include module by Rigadin ([email protected]) for Header Tags SEO (contribution 207)
*/

$sts->start_capture();
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
ob_start();

} 
 $sts->stop_capture('headertags');

?>

Can someone says to me if i am right or wrong please ?

I too am using SEO V2.6 and like localcrack stated previously I can view all static pages fine - index.php, specials.php etc, but not the categories or the products, although they are being rewritten in the URLs.

Please help!

Ultimate SEO URLs is MySQL based (Unless you have modded a text file based version like me)

I'm sorry for replying to such an old post, but I am very interested in your mod. Can you give me any information on how to accomplished it?

I have been having a lot of trouble with the MySQL based caching in our extra large stores. The products cache does not get generated automatically. I have to manually put it into the cache table every time the SEO URL cache is reset. When the cache does work the extra queries it generates make a noticeable drop in performance. When the products cache is not in the cache table I get an extra 400 or so queries which make the store run extremely slow (10 seconds per page).

I have tried a few different version of Ultimate SEO URLs, but they all give me the same problem.

I too am using SEO V2.6 and like localcrack stated previously I can view all static pages fine - index.php, specials.php etc, but not the categories or the products, although they are being rewritten in the URLs.

Please help!

Hi, i've been getting that exact same problem.

I'm about to embark on my umpteenth fresh install. From what I can gather from previous posts we should only use SEO URL V2.1d ....

I also want to use STS and the header tag controller contrib HTC.

Before I start can anyone suggest the best way to do this, and in which order? I tried a fresh install the other day.. I installed SEO URL 2.1d first and it worked great! .... I then went to install the HTC contrib and ran in to problems.

I'm sure all three of these great contribs can work together .. i'm just hoping some kind soul who knows can suggest in which order would be best to go about it :)

or does it matter?

Thanks alot.

Steve

Hi, i've been getting that exact same problem.

I'm about to embark on my umpteenth fresh install. From what I can gather from previous posts we should only use SEO URL V2.1d ....

I also want to use STS and the header tag controller contrib HTC.

Before I start can anyone suggest the best way to do this, and in which order? I tried a fresh install the other day.. I installed SEO URL 2.1d first and it worked great! .... I then went to install the HTC contrib and ran in to problems.

I'm sure all three of these great contribs can work together .. i'm just hoping some kind soul who knows can suggest in which order would be best to go about it :)

or does it matter?

Thanks alot.

Steve

I can't help you totally, but imo I would install STS first since it is the templating framework that will drive your website. I then installed USU's which is a very simple install and works well. The only issue with USU is that it does not convert url's out of box forms. I would get those working and then try to install HTC's which seem to be more complex.

The key is to install one, make sure it fully works, then install a second using a code comparer, such as Winmerge, so that the code is merged correctly. Do not try to install 2 or 3 of them simultaneously.

guys i seem to be totally stuck. I am redesigning my site on a local machine and i am having problems with getting this contrib to work.

When i modify the .htaccess file as stated i just get a 500 server error. When i just keep the .htaccess the same i get that when clicking on any of the categories it says a 404 error The requested URL /catalog/epson-cartridges-c-41.html was not found on this server.

How can i get round this?

Nick

Hello,

in the after_install.html file it's written :

I've STS installed, i think i have to modificate the file : includes/modules/sts_inc/headertags.php

like this :

<?php
/*
 $Id: headertags.php,v 1.0 2005/11/03 23:55:58 rigadin Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2005 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

STS PLUS v4 include module by Rigadin ([email protected]) for Header Tags SEO (contribution 207)
*/

$sts->start_capture();
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
ob_start();

} 
 $sts->stop_capture('headertags');

?>

Can someone says to me if i am right or wrong please ?

i don't know if i am right or wrong, Is there someone who has ulitmate SEO Url + Header_tags + STS installed and can tell me if what i ve done is Ok.

thanks a lot for your help.

guys i seem to be totally stuck. I am redesigning my site on a local machine and i am having problems with getting this contrib to work.

When i modify the .htaccess file as stated i just get a 500 server error. When i just keep the .htaccess the same i get that when clicking on any of the categories it says a 404 error The requested URL /catalog/epson-cartridges-c-41.html was not found on this server.

How can i get round this?

Nick

It is probably in your .htaccess file. You probably have /catalog/ but need /install_directory/catalog/ if you get my drift.

Guys - I found that if you get the errors but the URLs look okay (they are re-writing in a SEO friendly manner) when you hold your cursor over any category or product link, it may well be your server does not have mod rewrite enabled, or, as is the case with my site, which is/was a zeus server required different syntax for the rewrites (the .htaccess coding does not work)

I reloaded my entire site/database on a different server and bingo! - worked!!

Try testing if the mod re-write is working by googling something like "test if mod rewrite is enabled" and following the instructions given from some of the results.

Hi

I have installed the latest version of ultimate seo onto oscommerce 2.2 2a. but when i click on the categories i get this error:

Not Found

The requested URL /hdbitz/product_info.php was not found on this server.

I have checked my .htaccess file and it is pointing to the catalog dir, reset the seo url cache in the config too, if i disable the seo urls option the whole thing works fine.

I test installed this on a clean installation of oscommerce and it worked fine, then i tried to install it on my nearly working store (the catalogue contains quite a few products, categories, orders, shipping options etc) and it just throws up the above error.

I read on one of the threads that I should run the install script (not sure which install script that is, but assumed it was the oscommerce one) so I ran the script on my test installation to see what happened, and it removed all the products from my DB. I guess I can back up the DB run the installation script and re upload the DB. Is this gonna be a fix, and is it the correct install script?

thanks

Mike

i don't know if i am right or wrong, Is there someone who has ulitmate SEO Url + Header_tags + STS installed and can tell me if what i ve done is Ok.

thanks a lot for your help.

I have this set up on a wamp server this is what the .htaccess file now looks like with the change in directory as you said.

RewriteBase /wamp/www/catalog/

Now i get

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I can't see anything in the PHP error log

After doing some digging around i decided to check to make sure that mod rewrite was enabled, it was, so i decided to do a reboot again just in case. Now its working, which is great. Thanks for your help.

Nick