• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Google XML Sitemap Feed - by Chemo

Looks like Google only wants xml extensions for these files. Even if the contrib renders an XML.

What I did is run the files in my browser, then view source and save as xml and resubmitted to google... but we just lost the most inteseting aspect of the system: not dynamic, not automated anymore...

Sorry but that is completely wrong. I am using this contrib myself without ANY problems. I was previously using the one that uses CRON jobs, and that was working fine, but when Chemo did this one I thought I would give it a try seeing as though I put it in the contrib area. Anyway, I put it on and its working fine, and heaps of other people are using it on Google fine also.

When you run the file yourself, do you get any errors? What error do you get from Google? (please post exact error message).

Here is a copy and paste from my google sitemap account:

Sitemap Type Submitted Last Downloaded Sitemap Status

googleSitemapCategories.php Sitemap Web Jul 15, 2006 Jul 23, 2006 OK

googleSitemapManufacturers.php Sitemap Web Jul 11, 2006 10 hours ago OK

googleSitemapProducts.php Sitemap Web Jul 11, 2006 11 hours ago OK

As you can see, they were submitted on the 11th (ignore the one saying it was submitted on the 15th - i accidently hit the button to resubmit).

Regards,

Chris

Edited by stonebridgecomputing

Looks like Google only wants xml extensions for these files. Even if the contrib renders an XML.

You are right. Google accepts the php-files as a sitemap but the links won?t appear in google at all! Damn.

Is it possible, that the extension changes automatically from php to xml?

Hi.

I'm using the latest 'on the fly' contrib and I can't get the sitemaps working. Every file seem to have an error. For example, when I try to open googleSitemapProducts.php I get:

'The following tags were not closed: urlset. Error processing resource 'http://www.anzasklep.pl/googleSitemapProducts.php'.'

Google alsoo sees an error:

Parsing error (Line 4) We were unable to read your Sitemap. It may contain an entry we are unable to recognize. Please validate your Sitemap before resubmitting.

An help greatly appreciated.

Hi, before submitting to google, you need to ensure that they work in a normal web browser yourself.

If you try and open it, you will see that error come up about the tags not being closed.

Unfortunately I have no idea what could be causing this. Did you edit the file at all?

How big is your catalog?

I have just had a look at your website, and it doesnt appear that you are using Ultimate SEO URLs (looks like your using a different SEO contrib). Have you tried to use Chemo's Ultimate SEO URLs at all in the past? If so, did you remove it properly?

Another thought is, maybe this error is happening because your product URLs have some weird characters in them (as in non-english characters). That could be causing it to not close tags properly.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Chris

You are right. Google accepts the php-files as a sitemap but the links won?t appear in google at all! Damn.

Is it possible, that the extension changes automatically from php to xml?

Hi, what do you mean by "the links won't appear in google at all"? Are you saying that it wont extract the links from your sitemap and then output it to its search engine database?

Regards,

Chris

What I did is run the files in my browser, then view source and save as xml and resubmitted to google... but we just lost the most inteseting aspect of the system: not dynamic, not automated anymore...

Sorry but that is completely wrong.wrong.

You were right, I was wrong, haha :-) After looking further, one of my real xml files had a php extension.

I submitted a sitemap index (called sitemapindex.xml and this is the only file I submit to Google) attached below, instead of 3 separate maps (so I can add pages to my sitemap called sitemappages without going to google every time)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sitemapindex xmlns="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84">
<sitemap>
	<loc>http://www.thefrenchybee.com/googleSitemapProducts.php</loc>
	<lastmod>2006-07-22</lastmod>
</sitemap>
<sitemap>
	<loc>http://www.thefrenchybee.com/googleSitemapCategories.php</loc>
	<lastmod>2006-07-19</lastmod>
</sitemap>
	<sitemap>
	<loc>http://www.thefrenchybee.com/googleSitemapManufacturers.php</loc>
	<lastmod>2006-07-19</lastmod>
</sitemap>
		<sitemap>
	<loc>http://www.thefrenchybee.com/sitemappages.xml</loc>
	<lastmod>2006-07-22</lastmod>
</sitemap>
</sitemapindex>

my error was because I put by mistake a php extension to sitemappages.xml, which was not a php page.

Edited by pixclinic

Hi, what do you mean by "the links won't appear in google at all"? Are you saying that it wont extract the links from your sitemap and then output it to its search engine database?

Yes. Normally the links appeared in google very fast. Now I have to wait quite a wile.

Perhaps I have to wait longer :)

btw: How can I change:

<changefreq>weekly</changefreq>

to

<changefreq>daily</changefreq>

?

btw: How can I change:

<changefreq>weekly</changefreq>

to

<changefreq>daily</changefreq>

?

Umm.... good question. If you find a solution then let me know. I would imagine it goes off your database settings of last modified for each of the products or categories though. Thats just my guess.

Regards,

Chris

Found it. Just search for "weekly" in the original php-file. Change to "daily" -> done!

I can possibly see a problem with that though. If you are reporting that every one of ur products is changing daily, and then google doesnt see changes in your products daily, it might try and disadvantage you in some way, by either dropping your rank or by not trusting your data as much (and maybe not checking your feed as often as it normally does).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Chris :)

Hi, before submitting to google, you need to ensure that they work in a normal web browser yourself.

If you try and open it, you will see that error come up about the tags not being closed.

Unfortunately I have no idea what could be causing this. Did you edit the file at all?

How big is your catalog?

I have just had a look at your website, and it doesnt appear that you are using Ultimate SEO URLs (looks like your using a different SEO contrib). Have you tried to use Chemo's Ultimate SEO URLs at all in the past? If so, did you remove it properly?

Another thought is, maybe this error is happening because your product URLs have some weird characters in them (as in non-english characters). That could be causing it to not close tags properly.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for answering.

No, I didn't edit the file. As for the SEO I had some other guy setting up the shop for me and I'm not really sure what contribs were used. I guess it's a SEO modified to work with the Polish characters. They are changed into English ones so there are no weird characters in my URLs.

Cheers.

I have a problem with these two files all are ok with google sitemap. Except these googleSitemapArticles.php and googleSitemapTopics.php the rest checked out as ok. Heres the error I get. Thanks in advance for any help.

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End tag 'b' does not match the start tag 'br'. Error processing resource 'http://knifesupercenter.com/googleSitemapTopics.p...

articles_last_mod ASC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font></small>&...

And heres the other

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End tag 'b' does not match the start tag 'br'. Error processing resource 'http://knifesupercenter.com/googleSitemapArticles...

articles_date_added DESC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font>&l...

I have a problem with these two files all are ok with google sitemap. Except these googleSitemapArticles.php and googleSitemapTopics.php the rest checked out as ok. Heres the error I get. Thanks in advance for any help.

End tag 'b' does not match the start tag 'br'. Error processing resource 'http://knifesupercenter.com/googleSitemapTopics.p...

articles_last_mod ASC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font></small>&...

And heres the other

End tag 'b' does not match the start tag 'br'. Error processing resource 'http://knifesupercenter.com/googleSitemapArticles...

articles_date_added DESC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font>&l...

Hi,

The reason those errors happen is because you do not have any Articles or Topics in your site. My site gets the exact same errors because I don't have any. You shouldnt submit those files to Google if you dont have any articles.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi,

The reason those errors happen is because you do not have any Articles or Topics in your site. My site gets the exact same errors because I don't have any. You shouldnt submit those files to Google if you dont have any articles.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks alot

I didn't think I had any, but I still didn't know if I needed them still uploaded. :D

• 2 weeks later...
How do I get Google XML Sitemap to use Ultimate SEO urls?

Hi, if you are trying to install the on the fly google xml sitemap that Chemo did that I put in the contrib area, then it already supports Ultimate SEO URL's. If it isn't working then you dont have Chemo's Ultimate SEO URL's installed (try installing Chemo's official Ultimate SEO URL's 2.1d that I put in the contrib area).

Regards,

Chris

Okay I've installed the script and submitted to Google. Google gets back to me with "ERRORS". Upon clicking on ERRORS it displays the following error message:

General HTTP error

General HTTP error: 200 (Success) [?]

I open the sitemap up in my browser and it appears in XML format and all seems to be correct. I've tried browsing through this thread for a similar problem but have been unable to locate one.

PS. I have not included application_bottom. I have put the sitemap in the main directory (www.domain.com/sitemap.php).

Any help most appeciated!

Silly question, but does this contrib actually produce a sitemap.php that you can link to on the site itself? If so, where does this get generated.

Do you simply copy these 4 files (from the latest version) to the yourdomain.com/ path and jobs a goodun?

Hi, if you are trying to install the on the fly google xml sitemap that Chemo did that I put in the contrib area, then it already supports Ultimate SEO URL's. If it isn't working then you dont have Chemo's Ultimate SEO URL's installed (try installing Chemo's official Ultimate SEO URL's 2.1d that I put in the contrib area).

Regards,

Chris

Yes I do have Chemo's Ultimate SEO URL's installed, it is version 2.0b.

Hi Chris

Hopefully a simple question for you.

Do I just upload the 4 files in your latest release, or do I need to do the original install from Chemos version? If so, is 1.3 the correct one to install. Still a little unclear on which versions to install.

Cheers

Hi Chris

Hopefully a simple question for you.

Do I just upload the 4 files in your latest release, or do I need to do the original install from Chemos version? If so, is 1.3 the correct one to install. Still a little unclear on which versions to install.

Cheers

Just upload the files from the one I last put in the contrib area, and check they work and then submit them to google sitemaps.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

I uploaded all the files and everything works but the googleSitemapArticles.php and the googleSitemapTopics.php when I run them I get

XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </br>.

Line Number 9, Column 111:

articles_date_added DESC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font></small><br><br></b></font>

Other than that everything works.

Thanks,

Eric

Chris,

I uploaded all the files and everything works but the googleSitemapArticles.php and the googleSitemapTopics.php when I run them I get

XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </br>.

Line Number 9, Column 111:

articles_date_added DESC<br><br><small><font color="#ff0000">[TEP STOP]</font></small><br><br></b></font>

Other than that everything works.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

You probably dont have any articles. That is why that error usually occurs.

Just ignore that feed as you don't need it (and cannot use it) if you dont have articles.

Cheers,

Chris