• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can customers create their own product?

faze1

Hi,

I searched through the knowledge base for attributes, and could not find what I needed. I tried searching several different ways through the forums and have found an overwhelming amount of threads, few of which relate to my issue. I have read hundreds of posts and I still need help. I say this to show that I have not simply posted a question but honestly tried to find a previously posted solution.

I sell windows and doors, the products are all custom built and can be made at precise deminsions down to a fraction of an inch. In addition there are multiple styles of windows made from multiple materials by multiple manufactures with mulitple options.

For instance; a customer can get a regular sliding window in wood, aluminum, vinyl, fiberglass or woodclad. In can be no smaller than 11" wide in aluminum, 14" in vinyl and 17" for the rest. In addition height will have similar restrictions and both will be limited to a maximum size that will vary from one type of material/manufacture to another. In addition there are a variety of options such as, glass, frame type, color and many others.

I have tried to configure the standard attribute list but can see this is not going to work. Ideally, I'd like to handle the attributes with text boxes for my customers to enter sizes and radios, dropdowns and checkboxes for options. These options all play a major factor in determing price. I have found two contributions that, combined, might partially solve my problem although, it does not seem, from the threads I've read relating to these contributions, anyone is using these in the manner I hope I can use them.

Possible contributions;

Attribute Sets

Product Attributes - Option Type Feature

Has anyone made a store that has similar needs? Does anyone have any advice that might get me started down the right path?

Thanks very much for considering my questions,

Sorry for the long rambling post.

You could combine contributions, like the two you listed above. Use attributes for the things that will always be selected, such as what type of frame... aluminum and vynal, then allow the customer to fill in the sizes. Or you could make a list for each product of what matterials are available then allow the customer to just fill in the text field.

I think you are on the right track...

I have tried to configure the standard attribute list but can see this is not going to work.  Ideally, I'd like to handle the attributes with text boxes for my customers to enter sizes and radios, dropdowns and checkboxes for options.  These options all play a major factor in determing price.  I have found two contributions that, combined, might partially solve my problem although, it does not seem, from the threads I've read relating to these contributions, anyone is using these in the manner I hope I can use them.

Possible contributions;

Attribute Sets

Product Attributes - Option Type Feature

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks Wendy, I appreciate the advise. I guess one of my concerns is the sizing, I havent found a contribution that would allow a text box to search an array to determine what a window should cost. A window 35 1/4" wide, is a different price than one 35 1/2".

The sizing could affect other options as well.

For instance; Tempered glass is priced based on square feet, so an attribute for tempered glass would need to check against the width and the height specified by the customer to determine what that option would cost.

I guess organization is key, I'm going to seperate manufactures and material/models to different catagories/products. But I'm stumped on how to configure sizes (cost and restrictons), and the availble options that vary from one type of product to the other.

Thanks again for the advise, I'm going to go ahead and get those two options installed and see where I end up, in the mean time if you think of anything else I'd love to hear about, or anyone else for that matter.

Cheers,

Edited by faze1

What about setting up a text box for the inches or feet, then use an atribute dropdown for the partial measurement. I know it could take a bit of setting up, but if you use the attribute set contribution, once it is set up you will have a very easy way to add that to each product.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

You could have a look at the custom pc creator contrib....it might be modified to do what you want.

Thanks all for your help,

I'm kind of thinking the same thing Wendy, although I havent figured out how to get the textbox to influence the price. Know any tricks?

Toyicebear, I did see that contribution and read through it some but I wasn't sure if it was a good fit for me. I'm going to go back to that one tonight and check it out a little more in depth. I read so much stuff over the last few days, I was on information overload and probably ruled that out prematurely. Thanks for the hint.

Jack, I got your link and I sent you an email, it looks like this might be right up your alley.

Thanks again all,

• 1 month later...
What about setting up a text box for the inches or feet, then use an atribute dropdown for the partial measurement. I know it could take a bit of setting up, but if you use the attribute set contribution, once it is set up you will have a very easy way to add that to each product.

I 've installed both contibutions (option type feature and attribute sets), but until now they do not work together. Error message is

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '0,'+',1)' at line 1

insert into products_attributes (products_id, options_id, options_values_id, options_values_price, price_prefix, sort_order) values (6999,7,,0,'+',1)

but i can not find where to change or add the right piece of code to mege those two contributions. Thanks in advance,

greetings from Germany,

Philipp

greetings from Germany

Philipp