• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Delivery Date for Florists etc

I am a very inexperienced coder, just a hackabout at best. I was wondering if anyone is willing/able to modify this Contrib (see topic title) to make the entry a dropdown menu populated on the admin side. I have specific Delivery Dates I'd use to populate it. It would be much simpler. This could/would also be useful for those who simply want another piece of information tagged to an order. This is very useful to me since I ship 6 months of the year but take orders all year. Some folks order up to 4 months in advance of proper planting dates. Other OSC users could populate it and title the question differently for their needs.

I could try to do this myself in the off season but, for a real coder, this should be fairly simple to do.

why not state products will be shipped at certain times of the year on the product info page, specifying what states/areas will receive (north is obviously later than the south)

Yeah, that's what most mailorder nurseries do. My customers enjoy (and repeats have come to expect) choosing their date. I've hacked up the shipping methods to make this work, but it isn't perfect. it looks a little goofy because it shows up in order Totals and has a price ($0) next to it. It is also hard to add new dates. I have to generate a copy of a shipping method and several references. I'm just looking for something simple and logical that I think would also happen to benefit other OSC users. I'll figure it out one way or another but I'm busy shipping, propagating and potting these days. 130 orders going out this week!!

setup product attributes with a no charge, with the month listed that they can choose, ie in the drop down list each month and the customer selects from there. in an information area page, you list (based upon the products, as some products ship in the fall others in the spring) what products ship to different areas based upon certain months, have the option in the product what says 'default' thus could always leave the products to ship by default at the normal time for their location

no use making it harder with programming when you dont have to

Yes, i looked at attributes, too. Thank you. It invites the customer to place many different shipdates on orders with multiple products. Most customers order more than one plant with the average being more than three. I offer free shipping and this would kill my margins. I understand your sentiment that simpler is better. I agree completely. The Shipdate and Delivery Date Contribs are going in the direction I need. They just don't quite fit my system.

then dont offer free shipping on orders where there are multiple ship dates. if minimum amount of orders placed for shipment at the same time, great, free shipping. else you charge for shipping. how much can a plant cost to ship, by slow boat?

It's sounding complicated again.

John, I respect your opinions and I've benefitted greatly from your advice and experience over the last few months but that really doesn't sound like the direction I want to pursue for this particular mod. My hack of the shipping method works fine for now. I'll just spend some time in November on adding the dropdown menu. I really want to get better at coding anyway. I've recently gotten into mysql queries and enjoy the results; being able to pull exactly the information I need from my db in the order/format I want. Knowledge is powerful. I hope to be able to give back to the community in more meaningful ways in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to place different DELIVERY dates cheating a little on the quantity available and using the ON STOCK- (text/gif) contribution.

You prob. know how large is the largest order you will ever have on a singlo item, in this way you could post a much larger quantity available and tweak the ON-STOCK to show the Delivery Time for IT.

ex.

10999 (item in stock) = delivery Primo October

12999 = delivery Primo December

Why not use the attributes options contribution, then add in drop downs all with $0, these could be used to define the delivery dates.

This would be the simpliest why that I can think of to add in a date system, but there would be no control, so you may end up with 500 orders/deliveries on Mothers day for example, and might not be able to deliver this quantity.

cheers,

Peter M.

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

• 1 year later...

I have this contribution installed, does anyone know how to make it so I can update the date of delivery without having to bother the database table? ex: After the order is submitted, the customer changes their mind on the date, how can I go in the admin tool and change this date?

Please help.... :huh: