• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contrib request] more trusted reviews

Hi,

A very common argument from potencial customers against the products reviews and the use of reviews (not only in osCommerce but generally in Internet) is:

"Hey, maybe it was the same store owner who wrote those nice reviews... how can I trust all this review that have 5 of 5 stars? does Joe Doe (review writer) exist? I would like to contact him to ask about his experience with the product..."

So, It would be nice if someone can code a contribution that can do the following:

Option A:

In pages like: reviews.php, product_reviews_info, etc, it would be nice that if you click on the review writer's name, a pop-up is opened with a very simple form that lets write an e-mail to de reviewer.

The form should contain:

* Name

* send button

So, a potencial customer could contact an actual owner of the product and ask any question regarding the product or whatever.

Of course, this doesnt seem to be easy to code. I think it needs to use the e-mail system included in osCommerce

Maybe, a possibility is to ask the potencial customer that must be already registered to write an e-mail to an already registered customer (the one who wrote the review).

This way, the e-mail address of the destinatary can be hide from others

Option B

I think this option is easiest to code.

The idea is to generate a "mailto:[email protected]" link in the name of the review writer.

Of course, it could be better. it could generate a link like:

"mailto:[email protected]"

But, with this option, the e-mail address of the destinatary cannot be hide, and well...

all the things this implies.

---------------------------------

So, I know this kind of contribution will lead to unrequested e-mails to actual customers... maybe SPAM... etc

I just started this thread because to trust or not trust the veracity of the reviews is a common question....

Maybe, someone has got a better idea...

PD: excuse my bad english.

I thought about the same thing but the problems with either are this...

Method 1: People (some, not all) frequently change their email (loads of spam? who knows they just do) SO... the "form mail" connection to that email address has a good chance of being dead especially after time. So you have as much content creditablity as it is right now or even less!

Method 2: is really bad. All your doing is asking for "email harvesting" programs to read your pages and lift all the emails and put them into spam lists. I know this is a huge problem and a simple email link is not the answer.

What is the answer?, I don't know and neither does anybody else or it would have been addressed by now. It is a very tough situation and I guess we should take these testimonials as they are written (with not too much credit or worthiness).

Kind Regards,

KJ

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

I thought about the same thing but the problems with either are this...

Method 1: People (some, not all) frequently change their email (loads of spam? who knows they just do) SO... the "form mail" connection to that email address has a good chance of being dead especially after time. So you have as much content creditablity as it is right now or even less!

Method 2: is really bad. All your doing is asking for "email harvesting" programs to read your pages and lift all the emails and put them into spam lists. I know this is a huge problem and a simple email link is not the answer.

What is the answer?, I don't know and neither does anybody else or it would have been addressed by now. It is a very tough situation and I guess we should take these testimonials as they are written (with not too much credit or worthiness).

Kind Regards,

KJ

Hi KJ,

thanks for your answer...

I get the point...

There seems to be more cons than pros...

JL