Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalseDawn

Something I've been working on...

Would you be willing to divulge some of the optimisations you carried out to get down to 4 queries at all please?

I am more than happy to discuss if you have anything specific in mind, although this thread is probably not the appropriate place for it.

The only problem is that the changes I have made are many and throughout every area of the store.

For example, I have no need for the tax rates to be retrieved with every price as I believe stock OSC does - I have spent many hours denormalising the product, product options and products attributes tables so I can retrieve the entire shopping cart with 1 query.

I use an array for my categories (as they are so few) - probably not appropriate if you have hundreds of categories, although it would still work fine.

Ummm. I have replaced the specials table with a "boolean" column so I don't need to join to this table.

Similarly, I have denormalised products and products_description.

Also, denormalised customers and customers_basket.

I have no need for geo zones and related tables, so they went.

Also, I believe that the stock OSC uses a lot of "functions for lookups" that takes a parameter (eg product ID), and fires off a query to retrieve (eg) product description.

If you have 10 products on a page, then this is 10 queries straight off. Better to just retrieve as much as you can per query.

Identifying and changing these sorts of situations is a good start.

Sorry, I realise this isnt quite the best place to ask, but thought its worth a shot. :blush:

Would you be willing to help us less knowledgeable by starting another thread with help?

Id be particularly interested in the category array as we only have a handful of categories.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

PS Ive had a good look around your site and the only comments I can think of that would help are getting help with the graphics. The buttons at the top of the page especially and the header which appears to be cut in half here...

Edited in light of the recent changes, both the header, buttons and colour scheme look much better to me now :thumbsup:

Like the header better than the old, don't like the background, the other look gave me a better feeling than this one, I felt like looking around with the brighter colors, now, well.... I know everyone has their opinion on this, but as I see it your not targeting high end buyers that needs such a sophisticated color scheme, take it for what it is worth....

The way of life, and the way we work for you.

as you have looked at my site, i thought i would return the favour. I was going to comment on the pink, but i cant now, as its gone. I must say it looks better than it did. I like the grey, but i am not too sure about the colour of the infobox headings. As i am rubbish with colours, i dont know what to advise. I think that it should be livened up with a colour from your header, but as this is all down to personal preference, if you are happy with it, leave it.

I really like the look of your checkout area, wish i could do something like that.

Overall i like the look and feel of the site, apart from the possible blandness of the pages.

I just wish mine looked as good.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

I like the grays but I have to say... your site sells costume jewelry, to me it seems the site should be a bit more "fun". Right now it seems so serious. More like for a high end jewelry store. I agree the pink was too bright but there are tons of ways to make it look fun, yet professional.

If you are interested I would be happy to help you out with an overall look, to maybe make a couple of mock images to give you ideas. Not that I am fantastic at it or anything but I maybe something I could show you could inspire you or help head you in a direction you like.

Gawd, Just reread that and gawd I sound cocky. LOL I don't mean to, I swear.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I like it better now.

The header and logo look way better. I like the grey- it ties it all together with all the silver, (or rhodium -haha).

I also like the balance and organization of the layout.

:thumbsup: Looks good!

Ho ho ho, I just can't win - either it's too "mom&pop" or it's too serious. I just don't know if there's ever going to be a suitable middle ground...

I must say that my opinion is that yes, it does look a lot less "fun" now, but I personally prefer it this way.

For now, I'm going to leave it as is and concentrate on finishing off more important stuff...

Thanks for the offer Wendy - I may well take you up on it at some point!

The new look is quite nice, understated and serious, but still need some fine polishing.....

The product pictures are absolutely brilliant and a very nice shopping_cart.php implementation.

Navigating around your site is quite easy, but i personaly would like to have direct access to all your main categories somwhere, not just in the drop down search box.

Front page gives of a slightly cluttered look, but then again that might be just my taste :blush:

The site is very fast and the query count is impressive. :D

Thanks for the comments - Yes, having direct access to the categories from a place other than the drop-downs is something I am hoping to add to the site somewhere when I get chance.

I agree that the home page is probably slightly cluttered, and I may well reconsider the layout at some point in the future.