• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHPLIST CONTRIB

Hi are.

Are any of you available to create a contrib for PHPLIST?

I'm having a bit of a nightmare integrateing phplist and oscommerce.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Gary

What would you want the contrib to do?

Here's what I think you might want it to do (based on our PM conversation):

- replace the newsletter signup checkbox during account creation with something that'd sign them up for any/all PHPList newsletters

- similar replacement for account.php (for once they've created their account)

- customize header/footer to match osC, or launch PHPList pages inside osC page, with osC header and footer, minus column_right and column_left

Is this what you are looking for?

-jared

• 4 weeks later...
What would you want the contrib to do? 

Here's what I think you might want it to do (based on our PM conversation):

- replace the newsletter signup checkbox during account creation with something that'd sign them up for any/all PHPList newsletters

- similar replacement for account.php (for once they've created their account)

- customize header/footer to match osC, or launch PHPList pages inside osC page, with osC header and footer, minus column_right and column_left

Is this what you are looking for?

-jared

Hey,

I certainly would love to have a contribution written which integrates into PHPList.

I basically want people to sign up for my mailing list in PHPList when they create an account on my OsCommerce site, and I would also want a box on the side which allows them to enter in their email address and they will be subscribed to my site.

I dont care about being able to send mailing list messages from OsCommerce, as I am happy to open up PHPList when I want to send messages.

It should be a simple contrib, but I dont know where to start with it.

Cheers,

Chris :)

Seems to my that you could just update and sync your list of subscribed customers. That would be alot easier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Seems to my that you could just update and sync your list of subscribed customers. That would be alot easier.

Chris (WizardsWars), it sounds like you're volunteering. (w00t)

Chris (stonebridge) the complexity would depend on what you wanted it to do. If you want the phplist userbase auto-updated when someone signs up for the oscommerce newsletter, or when someone creates an account, that's more work.

If you want to link osCommerce and PHPList cosmetically, but leave the back-ends separate, that requires significantly less brainpower.

-jared

I have a script I worked with dreamscape on that syncs the the list form a different php mailing list program. It works in conjunction with my own newsletter unsubscrib contribution, so that customers still sign up, and administer their subscription status throug osc, but newsletters are sent out to subscribed customers via the mailing list program. A sync script runs every hour or so to insert ot update the mailing list with records that have been added or have chagned in the osc database.

As a matter of fact, I've also automated the newsletter, so a newsletter is emailed out to all subscribed customers weekly and includes coupons, new products, best sellers, and products comming soon.

Anyways, I found that syncing the list and the osc database was an easy enough solution, and would probalby be easier than trying to integrate the two applications.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Do you run on a dedicated server? If not, do you throttle back your message sent/hour to keep from irritating your hosting provider?

The main reason I went with PHPList, actually, was the double opt-in. Since then, I haven't had a single spam complaint.

-jared

We actually share a dedicated server with a few other osc users. In all there are about 10 moderate sided stores running on the box.

The mailing list we have been using (I'll have to look up the name) definatly throttles back how many emails go out at once, but I'm not sure what the number is.

The double opt in is nice, but if you've seen my unsubscribe feature, it works pretty well too, and I'd prefer to give customers an easy way to unsubscribe after they opt in the first time, trather than make them have to opt in a second time.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to the double because of spam complaints I was getting. As soon as we switched, spam complaints stopped completely.

My wife (it's her store) actually wants to move back to a single opt-in, with your unsubscribe contrib, syncing up the userlists like you do, but I'm still leery because of previous long and unpleasant conversations with hosting providers about spam.

-jared

• 4 weeks later...

So can someone run through what I would need to do to get this working? right now my client has a PHPlist mailing list with 5000 or so email signups. I would like to add a small infobox that lets you enter in your email and then sends a request into PHPlist itself. Also if possible, when someone signs up for an account it does the same automatically.

Can someone help get me started?

• 5 months later...
I have a script I worked with dreamscape on that syncs the the list form a different php mailing list program. It works in conjunction with my own newsletter unsubscrib contribution, so that customers still sign up, and administer their subscription status throug osc, but newsletters are sent out to subscribed customers via the mailing list program. A sync script runs every hour or so to insert ot update the mailing list with records that have been added or have chagned in the osc database.

As a matter of fact, I've also automated the newsletter, so a newsletter is emailed out to all subscribed customers weekly and includes coupons, new products, best sellers, and products comming soon.

Anyways, I found that syncing the list and the osc database was an easy enough solution, and would probalby be easier than trying to integrate the two applications.

Hey wizardsandwars,

Is there anyway I can see the script you wrote for the sync. I would like to implement that method into my site. Seems like the easiest way to do it.

thanks,

chad

Edited by 241

Hey,

I found a contribution that will help everyone with this, but I need help further developing it.

Check it out here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3976

The support thread here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=191317

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris