• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Encryption of credit card numbers in database?

EricB

I am getting ready to open a site for a client who is accepting credit cards, but is not using an online payment gateway. He is just going to pull the CC number from the invoice, manually run it through his B&M store gateway.

Problem is, I don't like how OSC stores the CC numbers in plain text. Even the passwords are encrypted! Is there any way to make the CC numbers into some sort of hash to make it at least a little more difficult for potential bad guys to get that info?

I looked for some sort of mod that does a CC encryption, but couldn't find anything. Any help on this would be appreciated.

If you set Admin > Modules > Payment Modules > Credit Card > Split Credit Card E-Mail Address to your email address, osC will email you the middle 8 digits of the credit card number and not store those in the database. You have to manually combine this information with the remaining digits stored in the database to retrieve the full number.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Problem is, I don't like how OSC stores the CC numbers in plain text. Even the passwords are encrypted! Is there any way to make the CC numbers into some sort of hash to make it at least a little more difficult for potential bad guys to get that info?

I looked for some sort of mod that does a CC encryption, but couldn't find anything. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Related thread, FYI.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137839&hl=

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Archived