• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple Template System

julia

I just installed the Simple template system.

Certain parts of it seem to work, but others...no..

Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly how it works.

I made a plain HTML page, and then put the variables where I wanted them to go.

Mostly the whole oscommerce default page shows up in the place where $content is.

For instance in the left hand column box I put $catmenu

$categorybox

$searchbox

but these are showing up in the body where I expected the $content to show up.

The $breadcrumb, $checkout etc... are showing up where I put them.

Also, where do I put the images where they show up.

Any help greatly appreciated..

You can see this mess at

http://www.threei.org/Store

And one more thing... If there is a better place to post this question..could you let me know where?

Julie

Try putting this in your /includes/sts_template.html and see if you can work it out from there

<html>
<head>
<!--$headcontent-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
</head>
<body>
<!-- Header Table -->
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0">
 <tr class="header"> 
   <td>$cataloglogo</font></td>
   <td align="right">$myaccountlogo $cartlogo $checkoutlogo</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- Nav Table -->
 <tr class="headerNavigation"> 
   <td class="trailText">$breadcrumbs</font></td>
   <td align="right" class="trailText">$myaccountlogoff 
       | $cartcontents | $checkout</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- 3 Columns Left/Content/Right Table -->
 <tr> 
   <td width="125" valign="top"> 
     <p>$categorybox
     <p>$catmenu
     <p>$searchbox
     <p>$manufacturerbox
     <p>$informationbox</td>
   <td valign="top">
 $content
   </td>
   <td width="125" valign="top"> 
     <p>$cartbox
     <p>$maninfobox
     <p>$orderhistorybox
     <p>$bestsellersbox
     <p>$specialfriendbox
     <p>$whatsnewbox
     <p>$reviewsbox
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br>
<!-- Footer Table -->
 <tr> 
   <td align="center">$footer</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- Banner Table -->
 <tr> 
   <td align="center">$banner</td>
 </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Okay..

I tried that..and basically I get the same thing.

The Category menu comes up on the left where I want it (Although I don't want a drop down...but I'll attack that later I guess) But the rest of the things..infobox etc show up in the main body

I think I'm missing something REALLY basic

http://www.threei.org/Store

Julie

Edited by julia

DON'T use the STS contribution. Although it makes layout soooo easy, it uses TOO many database queries! Everything you can do with STS, you can do by editing the stylesheet and some basic php.

Jud

DON'T use the STS contribution.  Although it makes layout soooo easy, it uses TOO many database queries!  Everything you can do with STS, you can do by editing the stylesheet and some basic php.

Jud

It seems like I would have to go in and change the index page and take out the left column and screw with the tables anyway...so I'm thinking I would just change the tables etc... it just gets so complicated...sigh..

Julie

what kind of changes are you looking to make? because you could just edit the column_left.php file and accomplish any changes you want to the left conlumn. eg, take out boxes, add boxes, etc...

Jud

what kind of changes are you looking to make?  because you could just edit the column_left.php file and accomplish any changes you want to the left conlumn.  eg, take out boxes, add boxes, etc...

Jud

Well

The main things are:

Insted of the info box, have those items on the top menu.

A border around the left column.

Create account, shopping cart, a measurement guide (basically the same page as create account) all in the left column.

Visually and functionally you can see what I want at

http://www.olivialitton.com/home.htm

I also want to add an additional page (this is a separate issue from the STS) to the create account function. Do you know if this requires a major change..or can I just add the page, and define it.

Thanks for your help.

Julie

Well

The main things are:

Insted of the info box, have those items on the top menu.

A border around the left column. 

Create account, shopping cart, a measurement guide (basically the same page as create account)  all in the left column.

Visually and functionally you can see what I want at

http://www.olivialitton.com/home.htm

I also want to add an additional page (this is a separate issue from the STS) to the create account function.  Do you know if this requires a major change..or can I just add the page, and define it. 

Thanks for your help.

Julie

Hello Julia.

I have successfully worked my way through the template system and have made most of the changes that you have requested in your earlier posts. Have a look at the site I'm working on .... http://www.jakeschairs.com/

If you choose for the infobox not to appear in the left menu, simply remove $infobox variable from the template file. Remove all similar variables that you don't wish to see such as the Manufacturer dropdown box, just remove the $manufacturerbox variable. If you want to have the create account link in the header simply direct it to the create account url and so on...

Aaron

Hello Julia.

I have successfully worked my way through the template system and have made most of the changes that you have requested in your earlier posts. Have a look at the site I'm working on .... http://www.jakeschairs.com/

If you choose for the infobox not to appear in the left menu, simply remove $infobox variable from the template file. Remove all similar variables that you don't wish to see such as the Manufacturer dropdown box, just remove the $manufacturerbox variable. If you want to have the create account link in the header simply direct it to the create account url and so on...

Aaron

thanks Aaron..I spent some time on this last night, and figured its just as easy to manually move things around myself. It wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be...but I'm not done yet..ha ha..

I still wanted those variables on the page, they just weren't showing up for some reason, and they were showing up in the default oscommerce locations.

I'm glad it worked well for you.

Julie