• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

product image help

jcisar

Hello,

I am in need of two contributions.

I am seeking a contribution which allows me to have various product image sizes. I sell bumper stickers and window cling-ons. The bumper sticker images are rectangular; however the window cling-on images are square. If I upload the square dimensioned image file to oscommerce, It becomes elongates and distorted since the image file parameters set in my admin panel is set to host image files 170 x42 pixels, which is fine for bumper sticker images but poor for square cling-on images. What is the best contribution out there, if any, that would enable for the hosting of product images of variable proportions?

Secondly, the oscommerce ?click to enlarge? link beneath the product images in the catalog doesn?t actually open a window with an image enlargement. How can I get the window to actually show a higher quality enlarged image of the product? Does anyone know of a contribution out there which works best?

Thanks,

Jcisar

Hello,

I am seeking a contribution which allows me to have various product image sizes.  I sell bumper stickers and window cling-ons.  The bumper sticker images are rectangular; however the window cling-on images are square.  If I upload the square dimensioned  image file to oscommerce, It becomes elongates and distorted since the image file parameters set in my admin panel is set to host image files 170 x42 pixels, which is fine for bumper sticker images but poor for square cling-on images.  What is the best contribution out there, if any, that would enable for the hosting of product images of variable proportions?

Secondly, the oscommerce ?click to enlarge? link beneath the product images in the catalog doesn?t actually open a window with an image enlargement.  How can I get the window to actually show a higher quality enlarged image of the product?  Does anyone know of a contribution out there which works best?

Thanks,

Jcisar

The only way I can think of to fix your image problem is to edit the square images by adding extra space to it so that it is the same width as your bumper stickers. Can be a pain if you have a lot of images but you can batch the process depending on what program you use. This way the images wont be distorted.

As for the pop up, it works if the image you are uploading is larger than the size you have specified for small images in your admin.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

If you set the WIDTH of the small image to blank in ADMIN, then the small images will be resized with the correct proportions. Just remove the "170" width, and the height will remain 42 and the width will automatically be set to 42 for square images. For the long images of 170, the width will automatically be set to 170.

If you set the WIDTH of the small image to blank in ADMIN, then the small images will be resized with the correct proportions. Just remove the "170" width, and the height will remain 42 and the width will automatically be set to 42 for square images.  For the long images of 170, the width will automatically be set to 170.

Ok.

So if I am uploading thumb nailed images of various dimensions to osc, I need not specify the image dimensions in the administration panel since osc allows for only a single specification for product images. Doing so would distort some images- which I have discovered. However, image thumbs uploaded when ?clicked to enlarge? will not show an enlarged image but the small thumbnail itself. The only way to work around that would be to specify in the admin area a product image dimension.

There is a conflict of interest here. I need to be able to host product images of multiple dimensions (widths and lengths), as well as enable ?click to enlarge? to open up a larger image of the thumbnail ?all awhile maintaining pleasing image quality in both thumbnail and enlarged image.

Can anyone recommend a good contribution(s) which can help me arrive at a solution?

Thanks

Use one of the multiple picture contributions, there are several different ones in the contribution section.

Then use this contribution for keeping your dimensions: Keep Image Proportions 1.3

Hello,

I am seeking a contribution which allows me to have various product image sizes.  I sell bumper stickers and window cling-ons.  The bumper sticker images are rectangular; however the window cling-on images are square.  If I upload the square dimensioned  image file to oscommerce, It becomes elongates and distorted since the image file parameters set in my admin panel is set to host image files 170 x42 pixels, which is fine for bumper sticker images but poor for square cling-on images.  What is the best contribution out there, if any, that would enable for the hosting of product images of variable proportions?

Secondly, the oscommerce ?click to enlarge? link beneath the product images in the catalog doesn?t actually open a window with an image enlargement.  How can I get the window to actually show a higher quality enlarged image of the product?  Does anyone know of a contribution out there which works best?

Thanks,

Jcisar

i don't use a contribution myself fro this type of thing. All I do is simply pad all images with a transparent background so they're a certain aspect ratio (i.e. 5:4). That way all product image are displayed properly both in the enlarged image and the smaller view. As a personal preference, I also remove the abckground where I can when editing/creating the product images. I just prefer them that way myself.

~James