• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What can I do more?

Hi,

I have been live know for approx. 1.5 months, however No sales yet!!!

My Webpage

My store has its own look but also a lot of the oscommerce look. Because lets be honest, how many customers exactly know that.

I know it is nicer when you can not find any stock looks, but I believe it is not a requirement neccesary to be able to sell.

I installed the following contribs;x-sell, pwa, sts, admin-notes, header tags, seo urls,shop-by-price and some I don't remember at the moment

I still want to make some little changes, like figuring out how to show shop-by-price in euros.

Can you take a look, and tell me if you would buy (if intrested in the products) and why even if you were intrested would you not buy

Thanks in advance,

Denice

Fix the problem with your SSL cert" "This page contains both secure and insecure items" popping up when I enter https:// area

Fix the dreadful formatting on your checkout/login page.

You are in a _very_ tough market, unfortunately - high ticket jewelry is never going to be a big online seller because of the "need to see it first" factor.

You need to get a dedicated cert really, and start accepting credit cards via a proper merchant account, not just paypal.

Shared certs and paypal-only sites simply do not cut it in the world of e-commerce, sorry!

I agree with Falsedawn but I would add that;

Jewelry Trends

#377 6538 Collins Ave

looks like a PO Box address,

Jewelry Trends

6538 Collins Ave.

Suite #377

looks less like a PO Box.

I would also like to see a 1-800 number and a map to your location (Mapquest), etc. Other things that would make me feel like I am dealing with a legitimate business.

Peter

Fix the problem with your SSL cert" "This page contains both secure and insecure items" popping up when I enter https:// area

Fix the dreadful formatting on your checkout/login page.

You are in a _very_ tough market, unfortunately - high ticket jewelry is never going to be a big online seller because of the "need to see it first" factor.

You need to get a dedicated cert really, and start accepting credit cards via a proper merchant account, not just paypal.

Shared certs and paypal-only sites simply do not cut it in the world of e-commerce, sorry!

Thanks, I will try to adjust that. I only installed an shared ssl because I only accept paypal payments. This because I noticed that orders placed by customers from countries like indonesia or for instants known african countries are not being placed. While before when using the commerce manager and linkpoint I got like 4 orders froms these countries a day.

But on the other hand not getting normal orders also :(

I agree with Falsedawn but I would add that;

Jewelry Trends

#377 6538 Collins Ave

looks like a PO Box address,

Jewelry Trends

6538 Collins Ave.

Suite #377

looks less like a PO Box.

I would also like to see a 1-800 number and a map to your location (Mapquest), etc.  Other things that would make me feel like I am dealing with a legitimate business.

Peter

We are internetbased only, but surely legitimate. Would it help more for instants to place our resellers# (don't know if this is allowed by the way) and our business licence number on the site.

Because we are an jewelry business and only internetbased I can keep my prices low, by avoiding high overhead cost (security, higher insurance and those things) I use a mail box from usp, and I have to put the address like that and cann't use the word suite

One thing I would do is get rid of that annoying "De Da Duh" sound that is played every time you change pages.

Jud

One thing I would do is get rid of that annoying "De Da Duh" sound that is played every time you change pages.

Jud

OOOOOOOOh, how I totally agree with that, only my partner loves it.....I'm discussing that part and would like to have that only on the main page and a more static header for the other, I don't know if this however is possible

I Agree, get rid of the noise its annoying.

Second get rid of the signup page, that stops people in their tracks.

Here is how you do it

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

}

Change it to:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

To:

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what? :thumbsup:

Otherwise nice site :blush:

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

I Agree, get rid of the noise its annoying.

Second get rid of the signup page, that stops people in their tracks.

Here is how you do it

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

}

Change it to:

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

To:

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what?  :thumbsup:

Otherwise nice site :blush:

check your order_info_process page !

Treasurer MFC

check your order_info_process page !

sorry for the late responds, my office/house was getting fumigated (think I wrote that wrong, sorry)but I will look in to that, part of me wants to get rid of that sign-in part, but I saw a lot of my hopefully soon competitors :-" have that on their site

hopefully soon competitors :-"
my big dream ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I would appreciate contructive feedback on how to improve the design of my store. What do you think of the color, is it suitable for the audience I target. I would like it to have a trendy but serieus look, without a lot of poeha, with this I mean movements, sounds etc. etc. so that it doesn't affect any loading time.

My store

Denice

Hello Denice

Few things I noticed,

- Screen Background color vs background page color looks better when there is some contrast or when the colors match.

- Account login button colors (and box headers do not match the other colors used for text background. Better use a match palette. There are few sites on the web offer the colors match just enter your basic color values and will generate a palette for you)

- Navigation for Home|Account etc can be tricky with the top menus covering these options sometimes. Maybe place those at the top since they do not have pull-down menus.

- Going to login and then going back to products without login maintains the https. Should change back to http as I did not login (this causes the browser to start the warnings for secure/non-secure items.)

- Because of the white page background some items like the earings do not show very well again some contrast or frame around the products would help.

- Your links pages (using the link manager contribution) show an empty image at the moment. When I deployed the links manager and added html code to load images from other sites was taking way to long for pages to load, so eventually removed the image field from the module.

- Page text font could be of bigger size I use kinda high res here and its hard to read the content. The headers are ok though

Now I do like the design the way the tables for the product descriptions are arranged and the various categories lists. The way they are displayed is pretty good.

Good luck with your shop

Hello Denice

Few things I noticed,

- Screen Background color vs background page color looks better when there is some contrast or when the colors match.

- Account login button colors (and box headers do not match the other colors used for text background. Better use a match palette. There are few sites on the web offer the colors match just enter your basic color values and will generate a palette for you)

- Navigation for Home|Account etc can be tricky with the top menus covering these options sometimes. Maybe place those at the top since they do not have pull-down menus.

- Going to login and then going back to products without login maintains the https. Should change back to http as I did not login (this causes the browser to start the warnings for secure/non-secure items.)

- Because of the white page background some items like the earings do not show very well again some contrast or frame around the products would help.

- Your links pages (using the link manager contribution) show an empty image at the moment. When I deployed the links manager and added html code to load images from other sites was taking way to long for pages to load, so eventually removed the image field from the module.

- Page text font could be of bigger size I use kinda high res here and its hard to read the content. The headers are ok though

Now I do like the design the way the tables for the product descriptions are arranged and the various categories lists. The way they are displayed is pretty good.

Good luck with your shop

Hi,

Thanks for your responds, I have been busy changing the things with the pointers you gave me.

The buttons are giving me a little headache at this moment, I'm not able to find any nice ones, so I still have the same ones you saw before.

However how can I change the warning you mentioned with the http vs https

Tomorrow I will look in to the link manager issue you mentioned.

What do you think of the site now?

Denice

The colors don't seem quite coordinated to me. I'd change the oranges to a different shade of purple or something, because it just strikes me as clashing. Or maybe yellow, to match your logo. Or pink, to match your header text. Or red, to match your price text. Websites tend to look better when you pick one or two colors as your theme, and stick with them.

I would strike out the retail price in the product listing as well as the product page. At first I thought that that was the actual price, and I was kind of raising my eyebrows because I can buy real diamonds for less than some of your cubic zirconia retail price. (And by the way, your white gold garnet necklace is gorgeous.)

Pictures are nicely done. I'd make it so that when you click on the header at the top of the page you're sent to the homepage though. It's kind of inconvenient to have it hidden at the bottom like that, and I didn't notice it for a while.

The background purple that shows up on the website, I might add a little texture too. Right now, your website strikes me as kind of boring. Adding some sort of design in the background might help with that.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

yes much better now. If you change the background menu color to match the main background color (that darkish blue) it will make better contrast together with some of the frames/borders you have. (just the menu headers not the menu items)

The colors don't seem quite coordinated to me.  I'd change the oranges to a different shade of purple or something, because it just strikes me as clashing.  Or maybe yellow, to match your logo.  Or pink, to match your header text.  Or red, to match your price text.  Websites tend to look better when you pick one or two colors as your theme, and stick with them.

I would strike out the retail price in the product listing as well as the product page.  At first I thought that that was the actual price, and I was kind of raising my eyebrows because I can buy real diamonds for less than some of your cubic zirconia retail price.  (And by the way, your white gold garnet necklace is gorgeous.)

Pictures are nicely done.  I'd make it so that when you click on the header at the top of the page you're sent to the homepage though.  It's kind of inconvenient to have it hidden at the bottom like that, and I didn't notice it for a while.

The background purple that shows up on the website, I might add a little texture too.  Right now, your website strikes me as kind of boring.  Adding some sort of design in the background might help with that.

Hi,

Sorry that I react so late, because of the hurrican we didn't had any electricity. We are up and running again, thanks for you feedback and I implemented your idea for a background with texture, thanks

Denice

Have you thought maybe it's the product as well? I know I'd never buy jewellery online unless it was something I know I wanted.... like if I was buying my girlfriend a TIFFANY item... she knows what it looks like and has seen one.

Dan

Have you thought maybe it's the product as well? I know I'd never buy jewellery online unless it was something I know I wanted.... like if I was buying my girlfriend a TIFFANY item... she knows what it looks like and has seen one.

if you do these js rollover images like "carat" and "shape" on your product information box, pre-load those images because it takes forever before they popup after you put your mouse there.

Treasurer MFC

if you do these js rollover images like "carat" and "shape" on your product information box, pre-load those images because it takes forever before they popup after you put your mouse there.

another thing:

if I look for products between $50 and $100 in the english language, I get a nice list of 41 products. But if I then change the language to dutch, I get the message that there are no products to list in this price category. Are you secretly changing the currency behind the scenes as well?

By the way, I would hide the english flag if the language is english, same for dutch.

I would also increase the delay for the js menu, even when you "fly" over it at mach 5, it eventually unfolds and overlapping the search box for instance.

I would remove the date from/to on advanced search as nobody would use that and thus it can simplify your program.

Treasurer MFC

another thing:

if I look for products between $50 and $100 in the english language, I get a nice list of 41 products. But if I then change the language to dutch, I get the message that there are no products to list in this price category. Are you secretly changing the currency behind the scenes as well?

By the way, I would hide the english flag if the language is english, same for dutch.

I would also increase the delay for the js menu, even when you "fly" over it at mach 5, it eventually unfolds and overlapping the search box for instance.

I would remove the date from/to on advanced search as nobody would use that and thus it can simplify your program.

Hi,

When designing your website, it is nice to have these feedbacks to point you to the things you would never think about. Thank you for that, can you tell me how I can pre-load my rollover images and how to hide the english or dutch flag, because this would mean that it would be choosen by browser of language I tried to set it in the admin to true but than I have problems with the currency.

What I would like is to put a shop by price in each categorie and that it than only search within that categorie , but until now I didn't figure out yet how to do this. The shop by price I have know I made myself with html.

I think big jewelry sites like for example bluenile.com, ice.com etc etc, would disagree with you. There is a lot of competion but if you can find a niche,offer good quality merchandise and good customer service it can work.

I know the title of this message says "What can I do more", but that was a couple of months ago, because I wanted some feedback on the design of my website a couple of days ago they merged the two topics to one. Why I don't understand, because 1 was placed in the next stap forum, and this one was placed in the feedback forum.

Archived