• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Support] Category Fields

This is the official support thread for the Category Fields contribution which may be downloaded here.

Please post support questions to this thread only - anywhere else will be ignored :D

Please post other comments and suggestions to the Announcement Thread

Thanks!

Matti

Edited by Johnson

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the amazing contribution Johnson, not only was this a breeze to install, it has absolutely straightfoward installation instructions!

This is a long time needed, very much anticipated contribution! It gives the admin of the site the ability to create new fields, opening up a whole new world for product pages..

Thank you again Johnson, this is by far the best contribution I have seen in AGES!!!

Thanks go to all those who have worked on the original Products Extra Fields Contribution - this release extends the functionality to allow different new fields in different categories.

It has been renamed so as not to confuse support with the original contribution which appears to be heading in another direction since I made these mods last year (yes, tardy release - I get SO busy :blink: ).

The download package has been updated with a new SQL file to negate problems with older databases.

Enjoy! :D

Matti

Thanks for this contribution. This is the kind of work I was looking for. My life is a lot easier now :lol: !

Do you think it can be possible to add multi-language support to your contribution? I mean to have the 'products_extra_fields_name' dependant of the 'language_id' ? Have any suggestion ? :-"

Thank you again Johnson for your work. :thumbsup:

Andrea

Do you think it can be possible to add multi-language support to your contribution? I mean to have the 'products_extra_fields_name' dependant of the 'language_id' ? Have any suggestion ? :-"

Thank you again Johnson for your work. :thumbsup:

Andrea

Thanks!

Yes - this is currently number one on my list and is in development as I write - it will be a part of the next release :D

Matti

Thanks!

Yes - this is currently number one on my list and is in development as I write - it will be a part of the next release  :D

Matti

Great news ! :lol: I am looking forward for your next release (any time prevision ?).

Keep up with your great work. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great contribution :thumbsup:

I have a question. Are you planning to include a way to show the new fields in the product listing page? Having the ability to add fields is great, but it would be better if I can dispaly some of the new fields in the product listing page.

Thanks!

Rayan

The contribution (the wonderful contribution) that Johnson created, DOES make the new fields show up in the product listing pages... if you install it properly that is...

The contribution (the wonderful contribution) that Johnson created, DOES make the new fields show up in the product listing pages... if you install it properly that is...

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't clear in my question, or I'm missing something obvious. I would like to show the new fields in the product LISTING section (Let's See What We Have Here) and not the product detail part. I hope I'm more clear... I think I need to edit the product_listing.php, but I have no idea how!

Thanks!

Rayan

OoOOoH i see what you mean.. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can think up something.. if i can i'll put it in here, or add it there.. that's a great idea btw!

Hmm what am i doing wrong, i am getting this error when i click on Category Fields

1146 - Table 'oscommerce.table_products_extra_fields' doesn't exist

SELECT products_extra_fields_id, products_extra_fields_name, products_extra_fields_category, products_extra_fields_type, products_extra_fields_order, products_extra_fields_status from TABLE_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS ORDER BY products_extra_fields_category

[TEP STOP]

And offcause the extra values are uploaded to the database.

Thanks for Category fields it seem to be a great help but, I can?t se the result after uploading the descriptions I?ve made.

Is that for new stores or can I run it in a existing shop?

Please answer so I know if i will give it another try.

Best regards

Bassmann

Tony Olofsson

Str?msund

N Sweden

Hi,

i get the following error. What did i do wrong? What do i have to change?

Thx in advance.

SQL-query:

CREATE TABLE `products_extra_fields` (

`products_extra_fields_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,

`products_extra_fields_name` varchar( 64 ) NOT NULL default '',

`products_extra_fields_vendor` tinyint( 2 ) NOT NULL default '0',

`products_extra_fields_category` int( 36 ) NOT NULL default '1',

`products_extra_fields_type` varchar( 12 ) NOT NULL default '',

`products_extra_fields_order` int( 3 ) NOT NULL default '0',

`products_extra_fields_status` tinyint( 1 ) NOT NULL default '1',

PRIMARY KEY ( `products_extra_fields_id` )

) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT =38

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=38' at line 10

Matti and others, please, pretty please ?

First I tried several times to install contribution 2202, but that contribution didn't save the admin changes to the catalog.

Then I found 3173 which looked even better.

And I am more than 100% convinced that I added everything according to the ?nstallation.txt" , even several times, last time on a virgin "catalog" out-of-the-box :(

Question: why does it f*#k up my product_info.php page? :( :(

The left column is to wide (approx double width) , the center <td>incl. the extra field</td> takes all the space to the right and the right column I find, shifted to the left, under the Reviews and Add to Cart buttons.

The footer is of course under the currencies box.

Did somebody find where the installation.txt has to be corrected?

Edited by berkedam

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

Forgot to add: the description text I find "under" the xtra fields, whereas the xtra fields are supposed to be under the text isn't it?

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

Hi,

i get the following error.  What did i do wrong?  What do i have to change?

Thx in advance.

SQL-query:

`products_extra_fields_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,

`products_extra_fields_name` varchar( 64 ) NOT NULL default '',

`products_extra_fields_vendor` tinyint( 2 ) NOT NULL default '0',

`products_extra_fields_category` int( 36 ) NOT NULL default '1',

`products_extra_fields_type` varchar( 12 ) NOT NULL default '',

`products_extra_fields_order` int( 3 ) NOT NULL default '0',

`products_extra_fields_status` tinyint( 1 ) NOT NULL default '1',

PRIMARY KEY ( `products_extra_fields_id` )

) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT =38

MySQL said: 

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=38' at line 10

Use the following:

`products_extra_fields_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
 `products_extra_fields_name` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
 `products_extra_fields_vendor` tinyint(2) NOT NULL default '0',
 `products_extra_fields_category` int(36) NOT NULL default '1',
 `products_extra_fields_type` varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
 `products_extra_fields_order` int(3) NOT NULL default '0',
 `products_extra_fields_status` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '1',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`products_extra_fields_id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=40;

Matti

Forgot to add: the description text I find "under" the xtra fields, whereas the xtra fields are supposed to be under the text isn't it?

The description appears below, but you could swap them around :D

Matti

Hmm what am i doing wrong, i am getting this error when i click on Category Fields

1146 - Table 'oscommerce.table_products_extra_fields' doesn't exist

SELECT products_extra_fields_id, products_extra_fields_name, products_extra_fields_category, products_extra_fields_type, products_extra_fields_order, products_extra_fields_status from TABLE_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS ORDER BY products_extra_fields_category

[TEP STOP]

And offcause the extra values are uploaded to the database.

You must add the table define in /includes/database_tables.php - please review the installation file.

Matti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd love to use this - in fact I've uploaded all the modified files but I have NO idea about how to run the fields.sql script using phpMyAdmin -any one out there who can offer some clues?

Edited by vidmarc

• 2 weeks later...
OoOOoH i see what you mean.. I'll take  a look tomorrow to see if I can think up something.. if i can i'll put it in here, or add it there.. that's a great idea btw!

I discovered the same problem, the solution is in the database_tables.php files. see if your line looks like this:

// Category Fields define('TABLE_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS', 'products_extra_fields'); define('TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS', 'products_to_products_extra_fields');// Category Fields EOF

if it does you need to change it to look like this:

// Category Fields

define('TABLE_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS', 'products_extra_fields'); define('TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS', 'products_to_products_extra_fields');

// Category Fields EOF

• 2 weeks later...