• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Storefront Feedback

moonlitsun

Please take a look here: TSG Outlet.

We ask that you keep in mind this client didnt request too much mod work, and they still havent purchased an SSL cert.

Any feedback is always appreciated!

THX

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

Well, I usually really like your sites, but this one needs some help. I think that you got something good going with the banner and site boxes, but all of the content in the middle pane really needs help.

I would do something about the "New Products" infobox. I think that it looks cheesy. the site could really benifit by fixing that up, or just plain getting rid of it.

I like your graphics, and I like the header navigation. I think that you could get rid of all the infoboxs on the right side except shopping cart. Their not really necessary, and they make the site too busy.

I think that it's way to hard to dig though your categories. To get to intel computers, I had to click something like 6 or 7 times. Thats horrible, espically when you get there and find nothing that you want. Your not really inclined to go looking for something else because it just takes too long. I would look into improving your navigation.

Well I think the site has potential. It's not nearly as nice as DSDI, but I think with time it could be.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Please take a look here:  TSG Outlet.

We ask that you keep in mind this client didnt request too much mod work, and they still havent purchased an SSL cert.

Any feedback is always appreciated!

THX

Steve,

The store works fine. Please elaborate.

Well,  I usually really like your sites, but this one needs some help.  I think that you got something good going with the banner and site boxes, but all of the content in the middle pane really needs help. 

I would do something about the "New Products" infobox.  I think that it looks cheesy.  the site could really benifit by fixing that up, or just plain getting rid of it.

I like your graphics, and I like the header navigation.  I think that you could get rid of all the infoboxs on the right side except shopping cart.  Their not really necessary, and they make the site too busy.

I think that it's way to hard to dig though your categories.  To get to intel computers, I had to click something like 6 or 7 times.  Thats horrible, espically when you get there and find nothing that you want.  Your not really inclined to go looking for something else because it just takes too long.  I would look into improving your navigation.

Well I think the site has potential.  It's not nearly as nice as DSDI, but I think with time it could be.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Ryan,

Thanks for the input! Your insight is quite constructive and helps regarding projects as a whole. Keep in mind that clients have limited budgets! ;)

We'll have to figure out how to attack the overall product navigation; also, we're building in Featured Products to replace the standard osC New Products table in the middle.

Thx Again. B)

Keep in mind that clients have limited budgets! ;)

Thx Again.  B)

Ya, I understand that. It's hard to turn these things at a profit, and make the site do what you really want it to do. It seems like our schedule always gets pushed out. I'm just not sure how you do navigation with lots of subcategories effectivly without doing some sort of DHTML treeview. But that would probably be a good model. It would take some time unless you could find something out, there which is a possibility.

By the way, I like the way your shopping cart header is orange, works well with the site. I think that it will look 100 times better with the new products infobox.

Ryan,

We have been thinking about incorporating CSS functionality into product menus, instead of DHTML (which can be slow and likes to drain system resources). Any thoughts on this?

Thx

Ryan,

We have been thinking about incorporating CSS functionality into product menus, instead of DHTML (which can be slow and likes to drain system resources).  Any thoughts on this?

Thx

Thats a rough call. I have a few ideas that I can think of that might work. I'll ask around work tomorrow, and see if anyone has any good ideas. Sometimes you get some good ones.

The problem with CSS is that it doesn't really help the use model. It just helps the look and feel.

I have a treeview control that I'm thinking of. I just need to remeber where it is. When I run across it, I'll let you know.

You mostly need to be able to get to where you want to go without having to reload the page more than once or twice (even twice is a lot). The fewer amounts of clicks, the more likely you'll get sales.

It's going to be a bit hard with the way osC, by default, handles categories. You going to have to do some unique things with the pages, and when your trying to turn these things at a profit, that can take too long and be to much work.

You know what, I just had a great idea of the kind of menu system you need. This would probably be way too much work to implement, but I might pitch it to the company as a contrib we could do for osC. If you go to http://rts.nthcs.com there's a flash type menu system we did for a company's landing page.

You would want to make the menus smaller of course, but it's a quick way to navigate through menus several layers deep. This menu actually goes out four levels deep, and is basically only limited by the graphic design of the site.

This page is all driven by a XML file, which has a nice web admin we designed using the XML dom. It would probably take a while to implement, probably making it not feasible from a business view, but something to think about.

Ryan,

Tight nav! Certainly a nice way to migrate throughout the website while minimizing space. But like you said, being able to incorporate it into some kind of re-usable contrib to standard osC code might be tricky.

We were using the DHTML/CoolMenu contrib at our main website, but we noticed DHTML miserably slows down page load times.

So, the trick is to find a clean dynamically driven menu system that doesnt bog down page loads or system resources.

Kinda narrows choices down, doesnt it? hehe

Thx Again

Archived