• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Location

Mighty Mike

Hi All

I hope you can offer me some advice on how i would go about telling spiders where my site is located in the world.

Currently i have two domains a .com and a .co.uk, the .co.uk is just parked at the .com and not used at all.

The problem i seem to be having is that i am getting listed very well in the .com/all of the web searches, but if i do a search for just .co.uk i am not there :'(

Any ideas on how i can go about getting listed in the .co.uk searches?

I dont want to have my site on the .co.uk as i think the .com just looks/ sounds alot nicer.

Any advice greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks

Mike

P.S. And i dont want to lose what i have already on the "all of the web" searches as some ppl in the uk will just search using that.

Hi All

I hope you can offer me some advice on how i would go about telling spiders where my site is located in the world.

Currently i have two domains a .com and a .co.uk, the .co.uk is just parked at the .com and not used at all.

The problem i seem to be having is that i am getting listed very well in the .com/all of the web searches, but if i do a search for just .co.uk i am not there  :'(

Any ideas on how i can go about getting listed in the .co.uk searches?

I dont want to have my site on the .co.uk as i think the .com just looks/ sounds alot nicer.

Any advice greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:

Thanks

Mike

P.S. And i dont want to lose what i have already on the "all of the web" searches as some ppl in the uk will just search using that.

This thread might help.

Hi James

Thanks for the pointer but it does not answer my question "How do you tell spiders where you are located?"

Surely there must be some code you can put in like the language code that this site is based X..?

Or do they just go by domain extensions?

Hi James

Thanks for the pointer but it does not answer my question "How do you tell spiders where you are located?"

Surely there must be some code you can put in like the language code that this site is based X..?

Or do they just go by domain extensions?

My understanding is you dont tell them directly via code etc

You submit to the search engines, make links, submit to free dirctories, post URL`s all over the place so the search engine spiders can find them.

If you have a .com and a .co.uk I guess the .com is the one you have been promoting (ie plastering it everywhere possible), but the .co.uk not so much hence it not coming up in the searches.

I guess you could go through the whole process of plugging the .co.uk but then I read some search engines would see this as a "mirror" site or something and might not list you.

I think Chemo`s idea of making a simple index page crammed with good content and keywords is the best idea for the .co.uk ?

Maybe....... :blush:

Good points there James, i just assumed that you could tell a spider that i want to be listed in yahoo.co.uk and not .com

But its still early days for me and my site is not live yet and i still have all the SEO stuff to do. I dont really mind at the moment as most of my keyword searches result in a page 1/2 appearance :-) So i must be doing something right.

Hi

Do you know if this type of marketing can get you good profits and sales. I am looking of extra option. I have tried various website marketing and they work

Has any one tried Ip broadcast / or fax marketing deos it work?

One Marketing method that I am sure works and gets me many customers is Targeted email marketing.

What is your experience on some of these marketing methods

[EDIT] Linkspam [/EDIT]

Matt D

Archived