• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Importing existing Customers from Miva

christiansees

We have 7000 customers on a miva store that we would like to import into the New OsCommerce store that we are building. I have serched the topics to no avail so I am posting this request for assitance.

I figured that I could use this

INSERT INTO `customers` VALUES (1, 'm', 'John', 'doe', '2001-01-01 00:00:00', 'root@localhost', 1, '12345', '', 'd95e8fa7f20a009372eb3477473fcd34:1c', '0');

in the phpmyadmin. While using a list of values generated from the dbf file taken from Miva.

I realised that there is a stubling block and that is, the pin number/access code I can get the login and password out of miva, BUT as you can see above that information is encrypted in the OsCommerce database. So I'm stumped. I don't know how to encrypt thier passwords to insert into the database. I don't want to hand enter 7000 people's items into the interface, one because that's just too many and two because it sends them all an email from a store that is even available yet. Suggestions?

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

The password thing is not an easy one to solve. Short of going and finding the password hashing algorithm, and doing the one-way has for each and every customer's password, I don't know of a way to generate their passwords for them.

You might just want to create all the users with the same bogus password, then figure out the best way to "sell" the upgraded website to your existing customers, with the caveat that they will need to use the "forgot my password" link to update their password.

-jared

Thanks for the reply, I did think of your suggestion. I could write a script to automate the hash generation. Two things though is there a mod to do these functions somewhere? and do you know where the code to generate the encrypted password is in OsCommerce?

Seems to me that OsCom has been writen with the idea of people creating new stores with it, but not much though has been given to people converting or inputting existing stores.

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

I realised that there is a stubling block and that is, the pin number/access code I can get the login and password out of miva, BUT as you can see above that information is encrypted in the OsCommerce database.

Hello,

Are you saying that you know what the actual passwords for your "Miva" customers are?

Does Miva store the passwords in clear text?

If so, you can insert the appropiate encrypted "offset" in the osCommerce database as long as you have every customer's true password.

I've converted a few shops using a method similar to Jared's suggestion.

All of the previous shops had the password encrypted.

The problem is not with osCommerce, but the security of the prior shop that used one-way hashes that can not be reversed.

If you want to play around you can find the approiate functions (such as tep_encrypt_password) in catalog/includes/functions/password_funcs.php .

HTH,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply, yes indeedy miva does NOT encrypt the passwords for the customer accounts. You gotta wonder how they stay in business. It must be one of those cases where people say "It costs so much, it must be good" wrong answer! Miva sucks. I'll look where you said for that code. Maybe if the script is really slick I'll post it here.

Christian

Archived