• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Admin Specials by Category

bruyndoncx

Version 1.2 is released and contains:

v1.1 sql ';' fix

v1.2 support for tax inclusive special price (add 'i' at the end)

I only uploaded the scripts, removed the demo images so it's smaller than 300K and available now.

Haven't received any response from mibble on why v1.1 is (still) not showing, but no worry, the change is in v1.2 too :)

hey budy i have installed your contribution and its working great except one problem with froogle.

when i add special price to products through your contribution the speical price is not showing in froogle , instead it shows the original price but if i add the same product from original special section of osc the price reflects in froogle. Can you please fix this thing

your help is very much appreciated

thankyou

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just uploaded v1.4 which includes:

v1.3 2005/06/// Spell out columns so this also works when columns have been added to the specials table.

v1.4 2005/06/29 Support Manufacturers, added default '0' for expiration date (Froogle fix)

Thus now you can select products based on category and/or manufacturer.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I love this contribution! I've been looking for something similar for quite some time.

One question -- all the prices in my store start out at $0 -- You get an actual price by adding options. Thus, a percentage off doesn't quite work.

Any idea if this could somehow be modified to reflect the percentage off the total price of the item once the (size of the photo, in this case) is selected?

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

I love this contribution! I've been looking for something similar for quite some time.

One question -- all the prices in my store start out at $0 -- You get an actual price by adding options. Thus, a percentage off doesn't quite work.

Any idea if this could somehow be modified to reflect the percentage off the total price of the item once the (size of the photo, in this case) is selected?

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

Sorry, but this contribution is compatible with the standard specials processing and as such only sets up a special price for the base product. No way to discount product options.

In standard osCommerce, when you enter a %, still the resulting value is stored.

A possible workaround for you would be for you to use 1 (iso 0) as the basis, and then put e.g. 0.9 or 10% discount as special. Additionally then you need to change the price retrieval logic to compare the special (0.9) to the base price (1) and apply the same discount to the attributes prices.

This is really custom to your site, and not something that would benefit the community at large. If you are not used to coding yourself, your best bet is to contract this out.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

hey budy i have installed your contribution and its working great except one problem with froogle.

when i add special price to products through your contribution the speical price is not showing in froogle , instead it shows the original price but if i add the same product from original special section of osc the price reflects in froogle. Can you please fix this thing

your help is very much appreciated

thankyou

hey Carine thankx for taking the time & fixing this issue, froogle problem is resolved :D

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to fix the way my special prices show up?

I'm using the show prices with vat, so I have the following:-

?11.75 (inc VAT)

?10.00 (exc VAT)

With this Specials I get the following: (the underlined are supposed to be strikethroughs)

?11.75 (inc VAT)

?10.00(ex VAT) ?10.58 (inc VAT)

?9.00(ex VAT)

I would like it to have the following layout in both product listing and product info:

RRP ?11.75 (inc VAT)

RRP ?10.00(ex VAT)

Our Price ?10.58 (inc VAT)

Our Price ?9.00(ex VAT)

Ive also noticed that the special prices arent showing up in the new products for 'month' boxes

I selected my top level directory to have discounts acrross the board, but although on the store the products have a discount, in the admin section of specials by cat, no products show up under the headings:

Products Products Price Special Price %Off Full Price

Any help with this would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Rochdalemark

Is there a way to fix the way my special prices show up?
Sure, but that is not what this topic is about.
I selected my top level directory to have discounts across the board, but although on the store the products have a discount, in the admin section of specials by cat, no products show up under the headings:

Any help with this would be much appreciated

If you leave the drop-down menu after "Select Category First" at Top and don't choose a Manufacturer nothing will happen after you click the Submit button. Regardless whether you typed something in the input field "Enter Your Discount" or not. So if you feel you added discounts across the board this way, you are mistaken. Indeed no products will shop up either. This is analogous behaviour to the site itself. On the index.php page you don't expect all products to show up either. Product listings only start to appear on index.php when you have chosen a category.

The specials you see now must have been specials already. If you want to select all products as specials, you have to go through each category and enter a discount.

(Rochdalemark @ Jul 22 2005, 02:58 PM) Is there a way to fix the way my special prices show up?

:rolleyes: Ummm, actually, it probably is what this topic is about, but I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be more specific?

(Rochdalemark @ Jul 22 2005, 02:58 PM) I selected my top level directory to have discounts across the board, but although on the store the products have a discount, in the admin section of specials by cat, no products show up under the headings:

Any help with this would be much appreciated

If you leave the drop-down menu after "Select Category First" at Top and don't choose a Manufacturer nothing will happen after you click the Submit button. Regardless whether you typed something in the input field "Enter Your Discount" or not. So if you feel you added discounts across the board this way, you are mistaken. Indeed no products will shop up either. This is analogous behaviour to the site itself. On the index.php page you don't expect all products to show up either. Product listings only start to appear on index.php when you have chosen a category.

The specials you see now must have been specials already. If you want to select all products as specials, you have to go through each category and enter a discount.

What he's saying is that you have to go into each category that has product in it to apply your discount.

For example: Top > Computers > Laptops = 20% NOT Top > Computers = 20%

If you don't have product in Computers, you can't apply a 20% discount to that category, and have it filter down to the categories below it.

So probably if you have discounts showing up, you've added them before.

Edited by chynathedragon

:rolleyes: Ummm, actually, it probably is what this topic is about, but I'm not sure what you mean.  Could you be more specific?
It might be his problem, but this thread is about "Admin Specials by Category" and not a thread on how he would like to change the way his specials are displayed. That is a question for General Support.

It might be his problem, but this thread is about "Admin Specials by Category" and not a thread on how he would like to change the way his specials are displayed. That is a question for General Support.

I thought he was asking three different questions, but if you look at it as if he's asking two questions instead of three, then you're right. However, if he IS asking three, he'll need to be more specific about the first one in order to qualify the question.

OK,

Lets start with the layout question,

Im using the contribution 'admin specials by category' so the way that I want it to display qualifys for question to be posted here. I would like it to be displayed in all areas of the site like the following (underlines are supposed to be strikethroughs)

RRP ?11.75 (inc VAT)

RRP ?10.00(ex VAT)

Our Price ?9.00(ex VAT)

At the moment some of that is being displayed side by side. See one of my pages for an example:-

My Powered Wheelbarrows Product Listing Page

There must be a way to put text before the prices such as RRP and OUR PRICE, and also seperate the two prices that are being displayed side by side.

Right onto my second question regarding top level discounts.

I havn't used any discount contribution other than the 'admin specials by category' contribution, EVER. And as you can see by the above example page, the discount does filter down through the categories. Which to be honest is the way I'd like it, as I have to many categories to be going into each and every one and applying a discount, I'd just like them to be displayed in the list of discounted products. Would it work if I didn't select a category but selected discounts by manufacturer, as I have far fewer manufacturers than I do categories.

'JanZ' & 'chynathedragon' I can assure you that I have only applied one discount to my store and that was 'top' level, 10% and it has applied it to ALL my products.

Im using the latest version of 'admin specials by categories 1.4'

OK,

Lets start with the layout question,

Im using the contribution 'admin specials by category' so the way that I want it to display qualifys for question to be posted here.

No, it does not. This contribution only changes the way you ADMINISTRATE specials, not the way you display specials in your shop. Thus this question should be asked as a general support question.

If not, any question about specials would be posted here and clutter up the real/ genuine contribution support q&a.

I would like it to be displayed in all areas of the site like the following (underlines are supposed to be strikethroughs)

RRP ?11.75 (inc VAT)

RRP ?10.00(ex VAT)

Our Price ?9.00(ex VAT)

At the moment some of that is being displayed side by side. See one of my pages for an example:-

My Powered Wheelbarrows Product Listing Page

There must be a way to put text before the prices such as RRP and OUR PRICE, and also seperate the two prices that are being displayed side by side.

The short answer, the strike through is done via the <s> tag, and is controlled in your catalog/stylesheet.css

The display price function is responsible for the display of the prices in your shop.

I'm not 100% familiar with the exact code for this, so, asking this specific question in general support, will get most likely get you a faster and correct answer from someone more knowledgable. Not everone reads every thread. Posting your specific question in the correct channel.

Right onto my second question regarding top level discounts.

I havn't used any discount contribution other than the 'admin specials by category' contribution, EVER. And as you can see by the above example page, the discount does filter down through the categories. Which to be honest is the way I'd like it, as I have to many categories to be going into each and every one and applying a discount, I'd just like them to be displayed in the list of discounted products.

If that is the case for everyone, that would be an undesired feature (a.k.a. bug) :D

I'll need to check the code to be sure.

Would it work if I didn't select a category but selected discounts by manufacturer, as I have far fewer manufacturers than I do categories.

yes it would.

'JanZ' & 'chynathedragon' I can assure you that I have only applied one discount to my store and that was 'top' level, 10% and it has applied it to ALL my products.

ok, who out there can quickly test this on their site to confirm this as a bug ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I believe you, but I tried it before with the SPPC variant of it and tried again with the original version you are using and I can't replicate it. Nothing happens.

I believe you, but I tried it before with the SPPC variant of it and tried again with the original version you are using and I can't replicate it. Nothing happens.

Yeah I thought nothing had happened when I tried it, as nothing appeared in the list below etc, but then as I was browsing my catalog, I noticed that all me products had discounts.

Anyway it's a mute point now, since I had to remove all my specials due to them slowing down the index pages for some reason, But product info pages were zipping along nicely.

Yeah I thought nothing had happened when I tried it, as nothing appeared in the list below etc, but then as I was browsing my catalog, I noticed that all me products had discounts.

Anyway it's a mute point now, since I had to remove all my specials due to them slowing down the index pages for some reason, But product info pages were zipping along nicely.

Yes, I can see where the bug is hiding, but I need some time to setup a test system to fix this. I'll try to get this done by tomorrow.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Yes, I can see where the bug is hiding, but I need some time to setup a test system to fix this. I'll try to get this done by tomorrow.

Can you fix it so that the bug works for everyone?? :D

It just would be nice to apply discounts to top categories and have them filter down, but even as is, I still love this contrib, Carine...

Oh, and everything JanZ said.

Can you fix it so that the bug works for everyone?? :D

The bug is that when no filtering is done and a discount is set, all products are discounted, but they are not shown as having been updated.

It just would be nice to apply discounts to top categories and have them filter down, but even as is, I still love this contrib, Carine...

Thank you for the kind words.

As for subcategories inheriting the discount from the parent category. I'll look into it, but then how do you want to show the result ? (all products in a long list, some dividers for each category ... ?)

Oh, and everything JanZ said.

Yes, JanZ is a wise guy.

For all SPPC users out there. JanZ enhanced this version and made it suitable for SPPC, now, I think I need to backport some of his code to have for instance pagination ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• 2 weeks later...

thank you linuxdave, just beware of the above mentioned feature to discount your whole shop at once ...

everyone, I've a little trouble as my host (after the shared server was reinstalled this week) went from register globals on to off, so I need to update my test environments too ... still working on different issues on the site.

It'll come , one of these days ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I am only new to Osc, and am trying to add this contribution on my friends shop.

I have followed all the instructions from the download V1.4 instructions at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,specials

I now get the following error when trying to access anything on the admin panel

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in /mnt/web_b/d43/s17/b021f07d/www/catalog/admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php on line 32

Below is the catalog.php script

<?php

/*

$Id: catalog.php,v 1.21 2003/07/09 01:18:53 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

?>

<!-- catalog //-->

<tr>

<td>

<?php

$heading = array();

$contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_CATALOG,

'link' => tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'selected_box=catalog'));

if ($selected_box == 'catalog') {

$contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link('easypopulate.php' , '', 'NONSSL') . '" Class="menuBoxContentLink">Easy Populate</a><br>'.

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_MANUFACTURERS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_MANUFACTURERS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_REVIEWS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_REVIEWS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_SPECIALS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED . '</a>');

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALSBYCAT, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_SPECIALSBYCAT . '</a><br>' .

}

$box = new box;

echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- catalog_eof //-->

You may or not be able to see, but line 32 is

$box = new box;

This is a line that was not changed by me, hence the confusion of what could be wrong.

Any ideas??

Thanks Chris.

No big deal just swap these two lines:

You have:

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED . '</a>');

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALSBYCAT, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_SPECIALSBYCAT . '</a><br>' .

Make it:

Good Luck

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I successfully installed this contribution and I think it's great (very easy to use)! One problem however (big problem), and I don't know if it's the contribution causing the problem or something else related to specials, but now when I have any number of specials, even just 1, my main index page slows down to a crawl. The category pages are just slightly better, though still very slow, and the product pages and shipping/contact/etc... are just fine). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi. I successfully installed this contribution and I think it's great (very easy to use)! One problem however (big problem), and I don't know if it's the contribution causing the problem or something else related to specials, but now when I have any number of specials, even just 1, my main index page slows down to a crawl. The category pages are just slightly better, though still very slow, and the product pages and shipping/contact/etc... are just fine). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any particular performance issues with this contribution, however in the standard oscommerce install, when you have specials, for each special additional processing and database queries take place when you show them for instance in a product listing.

Just to confirm this, could you remove all specials and then setup a special the old fashioned way ?

Is your site still slow ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I'm not aware of any particular performance issues with this contribution, however in the standard oscommerce install, when you have specials, for each special additional processing and database queries take place when you show them for instance in a product listing.

Just to confirm this, could you remove all specials and then setup a special the old fashioned way ?

Is your site still slow ?

Hi! Even adding just one item via the old way causes my site to load in about 10 seconds. As soon as I remove it i'm down to just 1 second...

I undid the contribution and loaded my backup files and i still have the problem. Perhaps it's not related to this transaction but i'm pretty certain the problem started when i added a bunch of specials via this tool.

Any other thoughts would be great appreciated.

Thanks again!

Hi! Even adding just one item via the old way causes my site to load in about 10 seconds. As soon as I remove it i'm down to just 1 second...

I undid the contribution and loaded my backup files and i still have the problem. Perhaps it's not related to this transaction but i'm pretty certain the problem started when i added a bunch of specials via this tool.

Any other thoughts would be great appreciated.

Thanks again!

Case closed as far as this contribution is concerned as you confirmed this is a general problem in your shop and not introduced by this contribution. Suggest you create a new topic in the general support forum. Trying to keep this thread on topic.

Thanks.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON