• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple domains....

If you have more than one domain registered, what do you think is the best way to utilise them?

Some options ive been pondering.

Park all of the other domains under the main domain.

-Isnt this bad because Search engines will think its a mirrored site and will potentially drop you?

Create a redirect of some sort.

-Ive read Meta tag redirects are the worst and will affect search engine placement. Any thoughts here anyone?

Create a simple index page on that url, crammed with keywords in a nice paragraph or 2 about your site, and a link to your main site.

-Is this advisable?

Create a new site.

-Could be a lot of work.

Something else.

-Discuss :blush: :D

Any advice anyone.

Thanks

-Isnt this bad because Search engines will think its a mirrored site and will potentially drop you?

Maybe this would explain why I'm doing so badly in Google :(

Should I do a 301 redirect instead?

The reason why a webmaster would want multiple domains is so others can't have them :) I know that seems like common sense but I've just answered 2 PM's about the question.

As an example, let's say you register www.my-keywords-domain.com and also www.my-keywords-domain.net. The method that I use is to create the main site on one or the other. Then, use the other one as a primer for the first.

Make sue there is only 1 outbound link on the secondary domain. It only needs 1 page (directory index) and should have very well crafted content. Remember, it'll be mostly setand-forget so make sure you spend the time to create good content (structure too!).

Don't use redirects (301, 302, or meta-refresh) and instead use a simple text link at the very top of the page. As an example, take a look at Website Marketing - John Coloascione. Notice that the page has VERY good content and every link out is to authority sites (other than the 1 link at the top to his site). This page was crafted to be basically set-and-forget with only minor updates. However, it drives pretty good traffic to his main site :)

Bobby

I simply map / park one domain over the other. Had scores of people tell me this is not right over the years, but still every store we have done it to is getting page 1 on at least 2 of the 3 main SEs for our main target keywords.

I think that the golden rule (ignored by so many) with regards to search engines is "don't take the p***".

Must admit that we only deliberately submit the main domain though. If the object of having the 2 names is to increase traffic (rather than name preservation or to save customer confusion) then this probably doesn't apply at all - but that would probably be against the golden rule above.

The reason why a webmaster would want multiple domains is so others can't have them :) 

Which is why we have a few, currently registered and doing sweet FA.

I think i`ll go with the simple index page idea.

Thanks for the imput Bobby. :thumbsup:

Hi,

I have a .com and a .net site that list many of the same products. The first is my own creation from scratch and the second is an Osc site. My experiment was to see if the OSc site gained better favor than the homemade html site. Did I make a mistake by creating a "mirror" site?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

That depends.  How is the experiment going?  Any/more sales at one or the other?

ed

Mostly I was wanting to see if the search engines (read google) would give me better listing from the new site. So far I am relying on pay per click to drive traffic. I think it is still too early to tell. MSN gives good 1st or 2nd page results for many of my products. Yahoo gives pretty good results. Google crawls the sites, but won't list the results.

Since my goal was better listing, I was really upset to read the post by Reesy. Is it true I could get dropped for having 2 sites with the same content?

Tim

If you have more than one domain registered, what do you think is the best way to utilise them?

Some options ive been pondering.

Create a redirect of some sort.

-Ive read Meta tag redirects are the worst and will affect search engine placement. Any thoughts here anyone?

Create a simple index page on that url, crammed with keywords in a nice paragraph or 2 about your site, and a link to your main site.

-Is this advisable?

Create a new site.

-Could be a lot of work.

Something else.

-Discuss  :blush:  :D

Any advice anyone.

Thanks

Rambling thoughts of an optimist :D

If you accept the premise that the internet is a big network consisting of the combined total of small networks then it can be argued that ownership of multiple domains is the beginning of your own subnetwork.

Have you ever noticed in the bricks and mortar world - the big players are (inter) national networks ? OK there is a cost of entry factor here but still, small mom and pop stores are just that - small ! Have you also noticed that online where the playing field is more level the big players still own MANY domains - each working to build the others.

Put two and two together and it looks like there is a critical mass function in here somewhere - what does that mean ?

It means acquire and use domains as a means to build a network - What does this network look like ? - That is defined by your VISION !

Building that network will pay back as it eventually becomes integrated into the www and each hub supports and buids the other hubs.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Rambling thoughts of an optimist  :D

If you accept the premise that the internet is a big network consisting of the combined total of small networks then it can be argued that ownership of multiple domains is the beginning of your own subnetwork.

Have you ever noticed in the bricks and mortar world - the big players are (inter) national networks ? OK there is a cost of entry factor here but still, small mom and pop stores are just that - small !  Have you also noticed that online where the playing field is more level the big players still own MANY domains - each working to build the others.

Put two and two together and it looks like there is a critical mass function in here somewhere - what does that mean ?

It means acquire and use domains as a means to build a network - What does this network look like ? - That is defined by your VISION !

Building that network will pay back as it eventually becomes integrated into the www and each hub supports and buids the other hubs.

Charles

LOL What a load of waffle Charles :D

Charles knows what he's talking about... :)

Bobby

Dont get me wrong, all of what he says is sound advice and appreciated.

I wonder if hes ever thought of being a politician... ;)

Archived