• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change CHMOD on Windows FTP Server???

d_a_t

Hello. During Pre-installation configuration I tried to change CHMOD to 777 from both at the root of the server and with a FTP program. Here is the error msg from my server:

"An error has occured:

Unable to execute site command chmod 0766 /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php. Note that the CHMOD command is only available on Unix FTP servers, not on Windows FTP servers.

Drilldown: ftp_mychmod > ftp_site: conn_id=Resource id #284; directory=/catalog/admin/includes; sitecommand=chmod 0766 /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php."

Do you know what to do to change CHMOD?

Hello. During Pre-installation configuration I tried to change CHMOD to 777 from both at the root of the server and with a FTP program. Here is the error msg from my server:

"An error has occured:

Unable to execute site command chmod 0766 /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php. Note that the CHMOD command is only available on Unix FTP servers, not on Windows FTP servers.

Drilldown: ftp_mychmod > ftp_site: conn_id=Resource id #284; directory=/catalog/admin/includes; sitecommand=chmod 0766 /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php."

Do you know what to do to change CHMOD?

On windows its a right click, properties ,then read only

On windows its a right click, properties ,then read only

Hello Vger. I have tried both methods.

-Directly on Windows Server: I got the same error msg as above

-With FTP Program (SmartFTP): the change to 777 doesn't stay when re-right-clicked on the config php files to check.

Please advise what to do.

Thank you

Hello Pliz.

Did you mean selecting "read only" instead of 777 is OK? I tried to change to 444 (checking all read only) but the change did not stay with FTP program.

Can't you do it in the server CP. There must be a file manager . I would try there, not with FTP but direct.

The chmod command only works via FTP on Unix/Linux servers - and does not work on Windows servers. There's no point in retrying it.

There is a way to change file permissions via Telnet or SSH access, but even this is more complicated on a Windows server - and is not for the uninitiated. So, the only real option here is to use the File Manager in your web hosting control panel.

Your folders need to be set either to 755 or 777 (full permissions), and on Windows it's probably best to stick with 777. Files need to be 644, except for the two configure.php files which need to be 777 for the install and reset afterwards.

Personally I think that anyone using a Windows server for a php programme like osC has just made the wrong choice

Vger

Archived