• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] - USPS Methods

installed on mine, it works so good I turned off the zone rates!!

[[[MAJOR EDITING]]]

Crap.. too many windows open..

OK well, installed on my Dev cart and it worked so well, I installed on my live cart and turned OFF all other shipping methods, saved (just set it FALSE) the Zone method in case USPS ever goes down again, I have a quick change to zone rates..

job WELL DONE Jetta!!!

any word on an exact date of the May changes to roll??

Edited by wkdwich

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com

A little off topic maybe.. if so please direct me to the proper place topost..

A potential client wants me to set up an osc site for him, the only thing we are really stuck on is he sells stuff like posters (roll tubes for mailing) and comic books, other type of TV and movie memorabilia that can go in regular boxes etc..

I need some thought process as to how I am going to deal with this.. USPS shipping module or maybe something else.. He uses FedEx to ship as well as STAMPS.com and wants the labels to automatically print also..

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Debbie D

Yeah, it's off topic. Get out of my forum!!! LOL, I am just kidding.

Labels print automatically? If the weight is correct in the db, and he is using USPS and Fedex then use the usps and fedex modules to calculate shipping costs, thus getting customer to pay correct amount. Then tie the stamps.com software into his oscommerce account (there is a module for that too). They will pull the orders from his database. Just open stamps.com program, put the stuff on the scale, choose shipping method, and print. It will automatically update status in db as shipped, notify customer, and save the tracking number to the site. Fedex is a whole different creature. I haven't found a way to tie that into my website for printing labels, but I only ship a few things a week with fedex.

USPS does have apis for printing labels directly from the site (I believe) and there's probably a module for that already made. idk. But if he had that, then stamps.com would be redundant.

Will post back in a few minutes about the module and the express language - as well as anything else I run across.

hehe no I;m not leaving :)

You did answer one question I needed to research.. the stamps.com just hooks everything together, he still needs to use the USPS module on the front end, got that..

All that still doesnt resolve the issue of a tube and a box shipping for the same order..

FedEx looks like it will do that.. the FexEx mod at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1462

states:

1. Added per product check box for "Ship Seperate" designation so that

FedEx will now generate item seperate quotes when desired (heavy items...)

2. Added ability to disable the module entirely by weight limit or box

quantity.

3. Products not checked "Ship Seperately" continue to be processed per your

stores existing configuration.

4. In Checkout_shipping, the customer now sees an item count and total weight,

along with an accurate quote for the entire order

So if I add that first it's there.. the required field and the check box or whatever it does on the items to mark it ship separately..

(don't shoot me please) I wonder how much work is involved in getting that feature into USPS

I still can see a slight issue though.. lets say someone orders 3 posters - all checked as ship separately.. and 1 comic book, thats going to make the shipping module belive it is FOUR packages..

Edited by wkdwich

Debbie D

You did answer one question I needed to research.. the stamps.com just hooks everything together, he still needs to use the USPS module on the front end, got that..

All that still doesnt resolve the issue of a tube and a box shipping for the same order..

states:

quantity.

So if I add that first it's there.. the required field and the check box or whatever it does on the items to mark it ship separately..

(don't shoot me please) I wonder how much work is involved in getting that feature into USPS

I still can see a slight issue though.. lets say someone orders 3 posters - all checked as ship separately.. and 1 comic book, thats going to make the shipping module belive it is FOUR packages..

Okay, I see now. I think that would require something totally different than what's available and that would shipping package types (tube/box). That way all tube items would be calculated together as one package, while all box items would be calculated together as one package. So, rather than ship separate, which would overestimate the shipping weight for multiple items, there would be a ship box class. Hmmm, sound like it would require new script. Personally, I enter my products as their SHIPPED weight and do not add a tare weight. It might overcharge in some cases, but it makes up for those occasions when someone pays for combined weight as one package when it will actually be shipped as 2. Let's not also forget how many times we put things in flat rate envelopes after the customer paid full price for 4 lbs - I wonder if I can fit 6 lbs in the legal envelopes, and the padded envelopes - OMG those are huge. LOL, I know I'm not the only one who has done it. Look for a shipping box class or types module and see if one exists. I remember at one time configuring my panel with several box sizes and weight thresholds for each box - AND dimensions for each product. So, the cart would automatically know what could or could not fit in each box (or tube in this case). Not sure whether it was stock or added on, but I don't use it any more even if I have the capability. That might be the perfect solution - product and box dimensions and thresholds. There may be an add on for that. Hope you find something. If not, tell him to learn to stuff a flat rate envelope to make up for the ship separate options. LMAO.

Have you seen the padded envelopes? those things are CRAZY BIG - no wonder they limit 15 envelopes per order.

Well you do see my issue here for sure.. and you are right on the money.. if product A D & H are marked XX they can ship together, if ordered along with C M & R, make 2 packages based on wieght price, whatever, go get the shipping costs TOTAL and display..

I looked long and hard today at MVS but the more I look the more I know its not going to do what he wants.. 3 posters, 1 book is going to calculate at 4 packages shipping cost and resulting in a lost order..

Debbie D

I'm sure that a mod exists. I've used something similar before. It included package dimensions and box dimensions and compares the two to see what will fit in what. For the life of me, I have no idea why I would have ever needed something like that, but I know I have used it. Remaining question is whether it was osc. Ummm, might not have been, but pretty sure it was.

The module was set up to return an exact commitment date for express mail (plus handling time), but USPS isn't sending me a date. Apparently USPS is sending you the date (Debbie). I get "Overnight to most areas" - Not fair!! I didn't even know the date COULD come through, so I designed the transit time display around (Overnight to most areas) or an integer. I didn't expect to see dates come through. So, the transit time displays wouldn't be correct if you are getting a date. It'll say "30-Nov-2011 Days".

Uploaded a small fix to language for express commitment dates to remove the word Days and also included a bit of a change to the transit time and insurance language displays for a neater appearance.

states:

quantity.

wkdwich: I'm in the same boat you are. I have many clients and each has their own special way they want to ship things. BE CAREFUL with the spending too much time and effort tuning the FedEx module because as of the middle of this year, that module will no longer work. Just as USPS is phasing out their API version, so is FedEx. I don't have the date at hand right now, but we're all going to have to pitch in to get a new module built for FedEx also.

My next major addition to my system (I also used oscMax as a base) will be the MVS system. this will be a large undertaking, but I believe that it will be the only way to satisfy a lot of the issues that are brought up with a large number of varying product types. I could be wrong, and it could be a huge failure, but it's about the only option I have right now.

The separate shipping option has been a huge pain in my backside for a while, and the UPS module seems to be the only shipping method that has fully implemented that successfully, which is why USPS is only being used for international shipments, and why I haven't implemented FedEx fully yet for the majority of clients.

It would really be nice if there was a convergence of shipping methods/modules that would all use the same basis for handling 1) oversize packages, 2) single items that ship in multiple boxes 3) items that can't ship via a particular method (hazardous/aerosol) 4) etc etc. and each method/module could tap into the same base basic product designations, rather than have custom designations for each shipper. My hope is that MVS is at least part way there.

To all on this forum. Thank you for the hard work in getting USPS fixed. This is truly what the community is all about.

fourmat, I agree, and I decided if this client wants to proceed with this cart I will go with MVS.. let me know how you make out with it please!

Debbie D

Hi,

last week my client's website got hacked now after getting it all resolved ended up wiping out our OsCommerce site and install a new one figuring it being up to date will help.

Anyhow, I was wondering if this contrib works with the new 2.3.1 OsCommerce? I read the readme file but I don't know if I need to follow all 7 steps or just the initial ones? The code from the USPS.php file from the newly installed OsCommerce says its built on the 2/26/10 file. If I just use the default usps.php with this new install all I'm getting is the "Library Mail" option.

thanks much in advance.

Hi,

last week my client's website got hacked now after getting it all resolved ended up wiping out our OsCommerce site and install a new one figuring it being up to date will help.

Anyhow, I was wondering if this contrib works with the new 2.3.1 OsCommerce? I read the readme file but I don't know if I need to follow all 7 steps or just the initial ones? The code from the USPS.php file from the newly installed OsCommerce says its built on the 2/26/10 file. If I just use the default usps.php with this new install all I'm getting is the "Library Mail" option.

thanks much in advance.

It has been working on 2.3.1 without problem. For a fresh install, follow instructions as a fresh install. I think there are three files to modify - modules.php, and the 2 general.php files and you may want to do the sql query as well (shown in the upgrade instructions).

Hi,

thanks much in advance.

The USPS included with 2.3.1 is NOT the most current and will not work.. sorry.. you need to replace it with the version Jetta uploaded. AND follow the instructions since you installed the default included version already..

uninstall, remove all enries from the DB upload new files, double check all the other files to see that ALL the required info is there, run the SQL (wont hurt if it's already there), install you should be good to go

Debbie D

The USPS included with 2.3.1 is NOT the most current and will not work.. sorry.. you need to replace it with the version Jetta uploaded. AND follow the instructions since you installed the default included version already..

uninstall, remove all enries from the DB upload new files, double check all the other files to see that ALL the required info is there, run the SQL (wont hurt if it's already there), install you should be good to go

okay, thanks for the replies. I followed the directions for * INSTRUCTIONS: Update from V 4.0.x to 4.2.x * but after I input my userID and fill out the information in the admin module for USPS it displays "array" instead of my userid and on my checkout_shipping.php page I get this error:

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you would like to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

any suggestions on what I did wrong?

I tried to follow the INSTRUCTIONS: Update to 2.9.X or earlier *

* including new install but my admin/modules.php don't have the code that I'm supposed to look for in the directions.

soon as I hit "save" on the modules page after entering my ID it displays this:

Enter the USPS User ID

Array

Edited by Graveyard666

It has been working on 2.3.1 without problem. For a fresh install, follow instructions as a fresh install. I think there are three files to modify - modules.php, and the 2 general.php files and you may want to do the sql query as well (shown in the upgrade instructions).

The stock 2.3.1 catalog/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php is super clean and super short compared to the current crazy long and modified multiple times USPS Methods Add-On. The stock 2.3.1 module is based on USPS Methods 26-Feb-2010. It's night and day from the latest USPS Methods Add-On.

Is there any way to just mod the existing 2.3.1 stock catalog/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php alone instead of messing with the USPS Methods Add-On and three different file changes?

Hopefully the stock 2.3.1 download is fixed/modified by the team for all the newcomers that want to download and try 2.3.1-- only to find it comes with a broken USPS shipping module.

Edited by ErikMM

Web Developer, Firebug, and Notepad++ are powerful free tools for web design.

Hey There. As daunting as it looks, I'm in need of upgrading my USPS Methods contribution. My international USPS services no longer work. One question, how do I know what version of USPS Methods I have running?

Thanks,

Jason

Hey There. As daunting as it looks, I'm in need of upgrading my USPS Methods contribution. My international USPS services no longer work. One question, how do I know what version of USPS Methods I have running?

Thanks,

Jason

go to your shipping modules and it should say there, or open

/catalog.includes/modules/shipping/usps.php

Debbie D

go to your shipping modules and it should say there, or open

/catalog.includes/modules/shipping/usps.php

Thanks wkdwich for the response. I went to my shipping module in admin, and nothing was stated there. I also went to the page you mentioned and it said v.1.47. I know it can't be that old. I installed this contribution in 2007-2008. So, it must be 2.8 - 4.2. Thanks so much for your input, though.

How else can I tell? How does everyone else know what version they have installed?

well it really is quite possible the module is that old, is it working?? I bet it's not. I suggest you move along and just install 5.2.0 :)

Make sure you follow all the steps.. check to see if the lines were added to ALL the files needed or you will have trouble.

Debbie D

I'm sure someone will supply a simple USPS module without all the bells and whistles - but I wanted the bells and yeah, the whistles too.

Ummm,,, the array thing - I've had that happen in the past. I think you might have missed one of the instructions - there are three files to modify (modules.php (in the admin functions) and 2 general.php (in admin and catalog)) in addition to the 2 files that you will upload and overwrite. And there's one sql query.

wckdwch, he was talking about OSC 2.3.1, not USPS 2.3.1.

thanks Jetta,

the admin/modules.php change is what I was missing.

Find This code somewhere around line 43:

if (tep_not_null($action)) {
   switch ($action) {
     case 'save':
       while (list($key, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration'])) {

reads in the 3.2.1 admin/modules.php as

switch ($action) {
     case 'save':
       reset($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']);

posted this mainly to help others if they see the same issue

I love it when a plan comes together.. teamwork, listening to others issues even if you don't have the issue yourself..

Glad you are running now graveyard!

Debbie D

Glad it worked for you. Good news.

thanks Jetta,

the admin/modules.php change is what I was missing.

Find This code somewhere around line 43:

switch ($action) {
     case 'save':

reads in the 3.2.1 admin/modules.php as

switch ($action) {
     case 'save':
       reset($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']);

posted this mainly to help others if they see the same issue