• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin folder password traffic?

e-store

Hi,

I love OSC!!!

I am new to SEO...

I noticed that when I added a password to my Admin folder, my hits went from 29,000 month to 189???

Although 28,800 of these hits were probly bots, is this a good thing?

Hi,

I love OSC!!!

I am new to SEO...

I noticed that when I added a password to my Admin folder, my hits went from 29,000 month to 189???

Although 28,800 of these hits were probly bots, is this a good thing?

password protection of admin is a must, so is adding that directory to the robots.txt file.

Treasurer MFC

Thanks Boxtel!!!

It sounds like you are telling me to add my admin directory to a robots.txt file???

If so, where can I find robots.txt?

It appears that millions of OSC store owners have not password protected their admin directories, cuz I searched for admin features and pulled up several different store admin panels, and could have deleted/ modified their entire databases???

This is a BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGG security hole!!! and makes OSC looks bad!!!

THis should have been addressed long ago...now there are millions of upprotected stores, waiting for hackers...

Somebody should let OSC know about this and see if OSC can figure out a way to modify the installation to either password protect the admin directories, or create an admin login PHP file or something??? to eliminate this problem!

Thanks Boxtel!!!

It sounds like you are telling me to add my admin directory to a robots.txt file???

If so, where can I find robots.txt?

It appears that millions of OSC store owners have not password protected their admin directories, cuz I searched for admin features and pulled up several different store admin panels, and could have deleted/ modified their entire databases???

This is a BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGG security hole!!! and makes OSC looks bad!!!

THis should have been addressed long ago...now there are millions of upprotected stores, waiting for hackers...

Somebody should let OSC know about this and see if OSC can figure out a way to modify the installation to either password protect the admin directories, or create an admin login PHP file or something??? to eliminate this problem!

Its simple common sense to protect the admin and its suggested in the documentation your meant to read. I very much doubt there are "millions" of unprotected stores... try going to the store feedback forum and testing a few.

Try searching google for "how to write a robots file" or similar.

Archived