• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2 checkout and wording they require

gnarly parts

I got a email from 2checkout say they want me to re-word my site to say that my customers are buying from them. I have no idea why they want this and it's really not something I want to do (would confuse my customers as from where they are buying from). Here is a copy of the email they just sent me. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I do not have "third-party processing", "gateway", "payment processor" or "credit card processor" anywhere on my site.

"Final Notice -- Review Immediately

This email serves as your final notice.

If, after 24 hours of this notice being sent, your site still contains unacceptable

language that misrepresents the relationship with 2Checkout all account activity

will be suspended.

Please see the excerpt below for examples of non-acceptable and permissible

disclaimer and site language. Please note that this regulation also affects words

or phrases that appear on buy buttons, links or your shopping cart.

example: "2CO is the authorized retailer for XX company"

example: "2CO is an authorized retailer for goods and services provided by XX company."

Your site cannot contain any type of statement that inaccurately describes your

relationship with 2CO. This includes statements such as:

"third-party processing"

"gateway"

"payment processor"

"credit card processor"

This also extends to buttons or html links associated with the purchase of a product or

service. For example:

BAD "Click Here to Pay" GOOD "Click Here to Buy from 2CO"

BAD "Pay Now" GOOD "Buy from 2CO"

BAD "Pay Using 2Checkout" GOOD "Purchase from 2Checkout"

For additional information on this subject please visit the following url:

http://sellers.2checkout.com/language_guidelines.html

2COs Product Support Department is ready and willing to assist you with the development of

this type of page. Please submit a ticket at http://support.2co.com/deskpro/faq.php.

Any questions relating to this email notice but not concerning web design or wording changes

should be submitted to [email protected]"

then I got this 30 minutes later:

"UPDATED NOTICE WITH ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES

Final Notice -- Review Immediately

Previous correspondence you have received from 2Checkout.com has provided

you with guidance on acceptable disclaimer and site language.

This email serves as your final notice.

If, after 24 hours of this notice being sent, your site still contains

unacceptable language that misrepresents the relationship with 2Checkout

all account activity will be suspended.

Language that should NOT be contained on your site includes indicating 2CO is a

"Credit Card Processor"

"A Third Party Processor"

"A Payment Processor"

or "A Payment Gateway"

Language that should be contained on your site (preferably as early in the

shopping process as possible):

"2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of <Supplier>"

"2Checkout.com, Inc. is the exclusive authorized retailer of goods and services

provided by <Supplier>"

"2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of goods and services provided

by <Supplier>"

This also extends to buttons or html links associated with the purchase of a

product or service.

Terminology for buttons or links to 2CO that is acceptable:

"Add to Cart"

"Buy Now"

"Buy from 2CO"

"Continue ->"

"Purchase from 2Checkout"

Terminology for buttons or Links to 2CO that is NOT acceptable:

"Click Here to Pay"

"Process Payment Now"

"Pay Using 2Checkout"

Further information is located here:

http://sellers.2checkout.com/language_guidelines.html

2COs Product Support Department is ready and willing to assist you if needed please

submit a ticket at http://support.2co.com/deskpro/faq.php.

Any questions relating to this email notice but not concerning web design or wording

changes should be submitted to [email protected]"

Always looking for a way to improve my sites.

I had the same stupid email.

They are buying from US not from 2CO.

2CO is just a stupid Credit Card processor.

I don't know why 2CO can't understand that ... they are going really crazy these days !@!

you know, i didn't get this email! I wonder why. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I really don't wanna switch, i don't feel like going through another module installation. :angry:

2checkout is by far the WORST 3rd party processing solution available. Cehck their very own offical forums for hte 100's and 100's of complaints.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

They don't want us to use the words "Credit Card Processors"

Then what are they???

I wonder who is running the site, we or them?

Who is the one that gets all the customers?

There work is simple, PROCESS CREDIT CARD.

Then WHY should we add "Buy from 2CO"?

This makes me so angry ... we work 1000 of hours on our webstore, and they want to forbid us to say "buy from us" >_<

It's some sort of legailty with the way they have their business model setup.

Your question is best answered on the 2CO official forums, where you'll see hundreds of other people complaining about hte same thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Ok, so what cc processor should I switch to? I'm completely open to suggestions, especially after the pain of the V2 upgrade. Don't get me wrong, the V1 was highly inadequate, but the V2 is convoluted for no good reason.

Unfortunately tho, my sales are my side gig. I don't have the type of volume to support getting a merchant account with my bank. But side gig or not, I need a processor with reasonable rates, that's completely compatible with my existing oscommerce site and doesn't treat me like they're doing me a *favor* when they make a kajillion times more money than I do.

Well, unfortunatly, there aren't many options.

Besides 2checkout, the other 3rd party payment processors that I know of are.

paypal

propay - reasonable rates, but no gateway, have to manually process all orders

paysystems

All of these have their own drawbacks. All except paypal are more expensive than your own merchant account and gateway.

My advice is to take a hard look at how much you process. If you process more than $1000 per month, you should get your own merchant account and gateway. Honestly, it's no more difficult than using paypal, will save you alot more money than 2checkout.

If you process less than $1000, you should probalby just use paypal.

Thanks so much for your quick response. Your advice is honestly very helpful. Every few months when I visit the OSC and 2checkout forums I'm very tempted to jump ship, but I guess with my low low volume there aren't many places to jump to - I do have very random months where I hit 1,000 but mostly I do about $500/month with no effort or promotion of my site on my part (I sell indie spoken word poetry cd's and books).

I'll probably stick with 2checkout for the time being. The site reqirection doesn't really bother me, however a lot of that language they've put in place lately irks the heck out of me, because I know it will confuse my customers who are already wary of buying online.

I setup a PayPal module a long time ago, and every now and again a payment will trickle thru them. I haven't explored the change that PayPal made so that customers aren't required to signup anymore. Do you have any idea if there is a contribution for that or are there just some settings that I change?

Yes, I believe there is a small contribution that will allow your customers the option to purchase form paypal wihtout an account. However, if you use paypal, you really should use the IPN system, wich is a bigger contribution to install. The IPN comes with some extras too, such as 'pre-populating' the paypal create account fields, to make it a little easier.

There are also about a dozen or so parameters you can pass to paypal to help customize your paypal payment page, such as background color, text color, and logo.

For a very small shop of your size, this is currently the best option. You are paying 2checkout twice as much as paypal would charge.

We're not really permitted to give you links to specific places, however, if you go to google, and search for "merchant account payment gateway" all of the advertisments on the right are pretty decent businesses. We use one of them, on the first page.