• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Featured Product Support v1.5.4

jcisar

Featured products in my case is working fabulously.

I am using featured products for advertising purposes.

There are three categories in our shop which have 20 featured products for each category. On the home page 20 out of (3 x 20) sixty featured products are displayed on a rotational basis (every time the home page is refreshed different featured listings are displayed).

The featured products on the admin side do not include the category they are listed in. I have to be very careful not to exceed the 20 per category and am wondering if the category can be added to the http://www.mydomainname.com/admin/featured.php AND if it can be sorted by category ???

Any thoughts anyone ?

To all,

I have just uploaded a new version (v1.6.2) of this contribution. The new version includes an improved method for administering featured products. Normally you would find a product dropdown that you would choose your products from. This version eliminates the dropdown and replaces it with a search function that will allow you to quickly find your products. This will be particularly useful for shops with a large number of products.

The search feature was mirrored from the Select Specials contribution which does the same to your specials administration. So if you haven't looked at it yet be sure to check it out as it is a very useful contribution.

Just to clarify: The Featured Products v1.6.2 (final) is the version to use. The previous two versions were not complete. I'm sorry for any confusion.

I hope some will find this useful. Thanks.

Hey,

First of all, great contribution!

I just have a quick question.

On the Featured Products page, where the line "Featured Products" is displayed, how would I change this so that it lniks to a different page rather than "featured_products.php".

Also, does anyone know how I would be able to change this line to something else?

Thanks a lot.

To all,

I have just uploaded a new version (v1.6.2) of this contribution. The new version includes an improved method for administering featured products. Normally you would find a product dropdown that you would choose your products from. This version eliminates the dropdown and replaces it with a search function that will allow you to quickly find your products. This will be particularly useful for shops with a large number of products.

The search feature was mirrored from the Select Specials contribution which does the same to your specials administration. So if you haven't looked at it yet be sure to check it out as it is a very useful contribution.

Just to clarify: The Featured Products v1.6.2 (final) is the version to use. The previous two versions were not complete. I'm sorry for any confusion.

I hope some will find this useful. Thanks.

Hello Mike,

I have installed this contribution today. The search is fast, but when I click on a product, it is not added to the featured table. I am redirected to the old drop-down-list.

To install I have copied the modified files over the old ones, and added the new ones. Table modifications by sql. Do you have any ideas? I would love this to work.

BTW: I installed the specials contrib. also, and that works fine.

Regards,

Linda

Hello Mike,

I have installed this contribution today. The search is fast, but when I click on a product, it is not added to the featured table. I am redirected to the old drop-down-list.

To install I have copied the modified files over the old ones, and added the new ones. Table modifications by sql. Do you have any ideas? I would love this to work.

BTW: I installed the specials contrib. also, and that works fine.

Regards,

Linda

Linda,

I cannot replicate the error you are having... unless I'm not fully understanding. When you say that you are redirected you mean that once you click on a product you do not advance to featured.php? It takes you back to the old (original) dropdown page? If this is the problem then I'm assuming that you missed a part of the install somewhere. Let me take a look at the installation files again and I'll see if I can sort this.

On a side note, can you clarify what you meant by "copied the modified files over the old ones, and added the new ones"? Was this a fresh install of Featured Products or were you updating an older version?

Thanks.

Linda,

Perhaps this may help... If you have a modified shop it may be best to just upload the "New Files" and make the necessary manual edits. The "Modified Files" are for a fresh install of osCommerce. I did notice that I didn't properly update the "Modified Files" folder to reflect the new changes so this may be the problem if you did use the "Modified Files" folder.

I have posted v1.6.3 to reflect those changes along with some minor clarifications to the install file. Please let me know if you are still having this problem and I will try to work you through it the best I can.

Thanks Linda.

On the Featured Products page, where the line "Featured Products" is displayed, how would I change this so that it lniks to a different page rather than "featured_products.php".

Also, does anyone know how I would be able to change this line to something else?

Alex,

On the Featured Products page, the title line "Featured Products" doesn't link to anything... are you saying that you want it to? If so, you might look into editing the catalog/featured_products.php file.

Also, to change this title to something else you need to look into your language files. Look for catalog/includes/languages/english/featured_products.php and change it to what you need.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

How can the includes/boxes/featured.php file be updated to display 5 infoboxes, each displaying a different product on the right column?

I still need to display featured products on the index page.

Thank You

Elroy

Hello,

I installed the latest featured products contribution to replace version 1.5.2 I had installed.

I uninstalled the mysql FEATURED table and tried to install the table given with the v 1.5.4 But the table wont install correctly. I even tried reinstalling the v 1.5.2 table but that wont woork either.

In both cases, I get the following error message:

SQL-query: 

INSERT INTO configuration_group( configuration_group_id, configuration_group_title, configuration_group_description, sort_order, visible ) 
VALUES (

'39', 'Featured', 'Featured Products Display', '339', '1'
) 
MySQL said:  

#1062 - Duplicate entry '39' for key 1 

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/common.lib.php on line 682

Any Ideas as to what I need to do?

Thanks

John

It appears that you have already run this SQL Query. In any case, the first value, '39' already exists in your table. You can probably ignore this warning and go on with your installation unless you have not modified this table before. You can also remove the table completely, but you will lose all the data previously entered. To remove the table your SQL Query would look like this:

DROP table configuration_group;

To simply empty the table but leave the structure intact you would enter this Query:

TRUNCATE table configuration_group;

Good luck.

Linda,

Perhaps this may help... If you have a modified shop it may be best to just upload the "New Files" and make the necessary manual edits. The "Modified Files" are for a fresh install of osCommerce. I did notice that I didn't properly update the "Modified Files" folder to reflect the new changes so this may be the problem if you did use the "Modified Files" folder.

I have posted v1.6.3 to reflect those changes along with some minor clarifications to the install file. Please let me know if you are still having this problem and I will try to work you through it the best I can.

Thanks Linda.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I was a bit to soon asking for help, sorry. I have installed the module on our live site, and there it works just fine. It is a very nice contribution, thank you!

Regards, Linda

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed the featured products contribution and it works great. I also use the free shipping per product contribution and i was wondering if there was a way to get the free shipping to show up in the featured products like under the price or above it.

Edited by mrbuddd

Hi

I would like to show two featured items above my new products added for the month table

How do i do it? because after i installed this mod it only shows the features items and no longer the

new items for the month

I need to show both

Please advice

Gr8 mod btw

I installed the latest version, and now my Index.php is displaying this:

My Index.php page

That is my website, but the product background is being displayed about the heading "Featured Products". I want to remove that, but I am at a loss on how to do that. I have tried modifying Index.php, featured.php but I cannot. Any help would be appreciated.

If I find a solution I will post it for all.

Regards

I just installed this contribution and I'm getting a FATAL ERROR. It reads on my site... Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home/ens/public_html/includes/application_top.php on line 304 on a blank white page and also in my admin section I can not view anything and it reads Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in /home/ens/public_html/admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php on line 30

WHAT'S WRONG!! I followed instructions I can't figure out what I did wrong... Help please =(

I installed the latest version, and now my Index.php is displaying this:

My Index.php page

That is my website, but the product background is being displayed about the heading "Featured Products". I want to remove that, but I am at a loss on how to do that. I have tried modifying Index.php, featured.php but I cannot. Any help would be appreciated.

If I find a solution I will post it for all.

Regards

The background is selected in stylesheet.css I think

• 2 weeks later...

HELP

I am getting this error and I just can't figure out how to fix it

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'where s.products_id = p.products_id' at line 1

select p.products_id from( products p, featured s where s.products_id = p.products_id

[TEP STOP]

Thank you for any help you can provide

OH and this is the newest version 1.6.3 and I am using 2.2rc2a

I have exactly the same problem is there any solution to this?

Hello,

I installed the latest featured products contribution to replace version 1.5.2 I had installed.

I uninstalled the mysql FEATURED table and tried to install the table given with the v 1.5.4 But the table wont install correctly. I even tried reinstalling the v 1.5.2 table but that wont woork either.

In both cases, I get the following error message:

SQL-query: 

INSERT INTO configuration_group( configuration_group_id, configuration_group_title, configuration_group_description, sort_order, visible ) 
VALUES (

'39', 'Featured', 'Featured Products Display', '339', '1'
) 
MySQL said:  

#1062 - Duplicate entry '39' for key 1 

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/common.lib.php on line 682

Any Ideas as to what I need to do?

Thanks

John

Hi, i have tried to search the site and google for help with this but havent found an answer. I'm getting this error message Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/milliesd/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 103

it doesnt seem to affect anything but if you could help me fix it please?

below is lines 102-104 of database.php

function tep_db_result($result, $row, $field = '') {

return mysql_result($result, $row, $field);

}

Could this be down to installing featured products?

The error occurs when you click on a product.

Thanks

The correct syntax here is to DROP the old table, then add the new one. It appears that you may have to directly edit a product here though, the one with the configuration_group_id of 39. Delete it, install your table, then re-add this product.

• 2 weeks later...
Linda,

I cannot replicate the error you are having... unless I'm not fully understanding. When you say that you are redirected you mean that once you click on a product you do not advance to featured.php? It takes you back to the old (original) dropdown page? If this is the problem then I'm assuming that you missed a part of the install somewhere. Let me take a look at the installation files again and I'll see if I can sort this.

On a side note, can you clarify what you meant by "copied the modified files over the old ones, and added the new ones"? Was this a fresh install of Featured Products or were you updating an older version?

Thanks.

I had the problem Linda described on a test site (and I think it will probably work on my real site). I think it is to do with how PHP is configured, I'm no expert, but these are the changes I had to made to work around the issue:

Change

if ( ($action == 'new') && isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['prodID']) ) {

to

if ( ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'new') && isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['prodID']) ) {

there are two places this needs doing.

If anyone has any ideas what I need to do to my PHP configuration/osCommerce configuration to avoid this issue then I'd be grateful.

TIA

Ian

Edited by IBeaumont