• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN problem with bogus orders

RojanUK

Hi,

Today I've noticed a problem with bogus orders being registered in admin whn going through the checkout process on a site with PayPal IPN installed.

When somebody goes to the checkout and follows all the screens right up until payment, nothing actually happens yet. The moment the customer clicks on the payment button and is transported to the PayPal web site, the order is registered in admin. If a customer at that stage changes his mind - like what happened to me today - then you have a bogus order in your admin.

All emails, both to the customer as to me as the store owner, won't be send until after the payment has been completed and the customer has returned to the shop web site, by pressing 'continue' in the PayPal screen.

It's probably better - or safer - if the order won't register in admin until the same time as the emails will be send out. Obviously, after a payment has been made the customer cannot change his mind anymore, so it's impossible to get any bogus orders in admin that way.

Is that an easy thing to fix and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks,

RojanUK

When you get a Paypal order you should look on the right where the "edit" "delete" "invoice" "packing slip" buttons are. A successful order will say "Status: Completed" if you have received the payment. Otherwise the status will be blank.

When you get a Paypal order you should look on the right where the "edit" "delete" "invoice" "packing slip" buttons are. A successful order will say "Status: Completed" if you have received the payment. Otherwise the status will be blank.

Status stays unchanged. When the order is first created in admin (BEFORE payment has taken place) it says: 'Pending'. When the whole process of payment is completed and all the confirmation emails have been sent out it still says 'Pending'. It doesn't change. So I can't see in admin whether it's a genuine or a bogus order.

RojanUK

Hang on, the status may not change, but if I open up the order, there I can see whether the transaction has been completed. Hardly ideal to have to open up every order in admin to see whether it's been completed or not. Would've been handier if the status automatically updated itself, as you suggest.

RojanUK

Re-reading your message I realize your are talking about the four buttons next to the order list. I can tell you that both with completed and uncompleted order no status is displayed there. I've just tested that.

RojanUK

Status stays unchanged. When the order is first created in admin (BEFORE payment has taken place) it says: 'Pending'. When the whole process of payment is completed and all the confirmation emails have been sent out it still says 'Pending'. It doesn't change. So I can't see in admin whether it's a genuine or a bogus order.

Don't know which version of Paypal IPN you are using, but the version I installed way back instructed to add "Pending PayPal Notification" in Orders Status. Select the new status in the module's "Set Pending Notification Status" dropdown, and all should be good... The bogus orders show up with "Pending PayPal Notification", clear as day.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Don't know which version of Paypal IPN you are using, but the version I installed way back instructed to add "Pending PayPal Notification" in Orders Status. Select the new status in the module's "Set Pending Notification Status" dropdown, and all should be good... The bogus orders show up with "Pending PayPal Notification", clear as day.

I'm using osCommerce PayPal IPN v1.0. and with that contrib there is no Pending PayPal Notification. I guess that I have to install the full package PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN_v3.1.5 which has all these features but I'm very reluctant to do so.

As I cannot get my test shop - running locally on my computer - to work properly in the admin I cannot test the implementation of the contrib and that automatically means I have to do it on the live store. I'd rather not do that, because if something goes wrong - and reading all your postings about PayPal IPN it's bound to - I lose my store. I do have a full backup of the store as it is now, but if it goes wrong the store will be down instantly and will remain so until I can reinstall it.

I know it has to be done, but I'd rather get the test shop working first and install it there. I don't know why it's not working though. So that brings me full circle again. I'm absolutely open to suggestions, so that I can break through that circle and make some progress. What are the things to remember when installing IPN? What are your experiences? ANd if you would be so kind as to look in General Support for the topic of the problem with my test setup I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

RojanUK