• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Estimated Shipping Costs

Is there any way that I can get the estimated shipping drop down box to automatically select the customer's country?

Hello Sarah,

This should already be the case when a customer logs in. Before that the default is the shop's country.

regards,

Howard

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sarah,

This should already be the case when a customer logs in. Before that the default is the shop's country.

regards,

Howard

Thanks Howard. So the customer has to have an account and be logged in for the shipping to automatically click onto their country?

S

Thanks Howard. So the customer has to have an account and be logged in for the shipping to automatically click onto their country?

S

Something like that yes. There is no way, well, maybe yes if you check for IP and belonging country, you can know where they come from before they have logged in so initially the shop's country is choosen. When the customer creates an account or logs in to the existing one the country they choose when signing up will be choosen.

Something like that yes. There is no way, well, maybe yes if you check for IP and belonging country, you can know where they come from before they have logged in so initially the shop's country is choosen. When the customer creates an account or logs in to the existing one the country they choose when signing up will be choosen.

there is a script from the oscommerce contributions that automatically checks the referral page and language code therefore allowing to set a default language when a customer arrives at your site, maybe that code could be hacked to show up in the cart.php to suit your needs

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

there is a script from the oscommerce contributions that automatically checks the referral page and language code therefore allowing to set a default language when a customer arrives at your site, maybe that code could be hacked to show up in the cart.php to suit your needs

Hi Chooch,

Can you tell me this contrib ? It does sound however if the input is the browser language which does not say where a customer is coming from. The referral page can be anything and would also hardly give a clue where the customer comes from. As far as I know only through the IP you could find out which country someone really is from. If there was information about which IP range comes from which country it could be a nice addition though.

Howard

Hi, this contrib sounds very interesting. Is there a working demonstration of it anywhere.

My shipping costs are fairly comlicated, so I'd like to see if it can cope :)

Thanks very much and looking forward to it! :)

Hi, this contrib sounds very interesting. Is there a working demonstration of it anywhere.

My shipping costs are fairly comlicated, so I'd like to see if it can cope :)

Thanks very much and looking forward to it! :)

The picture inside the archive will give you the idea how it looks, to see if works with your shipping modules you can only try it out. It's an easy installation/deinstallation so you will get the idea quickly.

To have a 'live' look you can click on my card and go to my webshop. Put something in the cart and you will see the estimated shipping infobox.

post your shopping cart page here so i can take a look

I think I am going to try to just put it in the shopping cart page. A lot of online retailers do it this way anyways... But here it is, check it out.

http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

The popup is:

http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/popup_estimated_shipping.php

Thanks,

Chris

Read the last post on page 1 which method should work. The only thing you have to keep in mind is to call upon estimated shipping after the </form> tag otherwise you are stuck with a form inside a form which doesn't work.

Will do, thanks man.

Chris

Hello everybody. This is my first text here in the forum. I am to be found otherwise in the German forum. Excuse me for my bad English, I have the Estimated Shipping v1.4 installed and so far is correct. Now my problem: I put however an article into the warenkorb get I the following message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class httpclient in /home/XXXXX/public_html/online/catalog/includes/classes/http_client.php on line 37

Where do I make an error?

Great

an thanks to your help

Can find me to her in the German forum under ostholsteiner one

Hello everybody. This is my first text here in the forum. I am to be found otherwise in the German forum. Excuse me for my bad English, I have the Estimated Shipping v1.4 installed and so far is correct. Now my problem: I put however an article into the warenkorb get I the following message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class httpclient in /home/XXXXX/public_html/online/catalog/includes/classes/http_client.php on line 37

Where do I make an error?

Great

an thanks to your help

Hello Conny,

At what point do you get this error ? And, do you use estimated shipping as a left or right column infobox or on some page ?

regards,

Howard

I use it in the right split and the errors dip only on if I something into the warenkorb put I wanted tool additionally to insert it however to time geaddet.

Conny,

Can you send me a PM with the situation explained in German ? I think that will work better.

regards,

Howard

Hi,

Firstly great contribution. I have two questions related to v1.6:

1. How do you change the width of the box? I have mine on the right column.

2. How do you disable the zipcode option as I don't have a requirement for it?

Thanks in advance,

Lyj

Hi,

Firstly great contribution. I have two questions related to v1.6:

1. How do you change the width of the box? I have mine on the right column.

2. How do you disable the zipcode option as I don't have a requirement for it?

Thanks in advance,

Lyj

Hello Lyj,

1) That depends a bit on the largest one of your other infoboxes on the right side as all other infoboxes will take the width of that one. If the estimated shipping infobox is the one making the rest larger you have to try a couple of settings which influence the width:

a.) in (catalog)/includes/modules/estimated_shipping.php you will find

(BOX_WIDTH+50)

Make this smaller to get a smaller country listbox.

Also there is

'MAXLENGTH="20" SIZE="10"

where you can make the SIZE= smaller

b.) in (catalog)/includes/functions/estimated_shipping_functions.php there is a

$return .= '<table width="100%">

where you should set the width="100%" to a smaller percentage.

2) I have made two versions, one with and one without UPS/USPS support. Only the versions with UPS/USPS support have the zipcode field so you should get the latest version without UPS/USPS support to get rid of it.

I am thinking of combining the two to get back to one version and have the zipcode field admin configurable but for now you should take Estimated Shipping v1.4 (without UPS/USPS support).

regards,

Howard

Edited by wheeloftime

I have an odd problem. I've installed this contribution and have it appearing in my right column just below my shopping cart. The problem is when I add an item to the shopping cart and attempt to get a shipping estimate by entering a zip code and clicking the process button my cart is emptied.

Any ideas?

I have an odd problem. I've installed this contribution and have it appearing in my right column just below my shopping cart. The problem is when I add an item to the shopping cart and attempt to get a shipping estimate by entering a zip code and clicking the process button my cart is emptied.

Any ideas?

I remember someone else had the same problem some while ago and the solution you should find on page 3 post #53 from this thread. I've never experienced this myself but I'll have another look into this and incorporate that solution anyway if it makes no difference (and only helps for those who do have this problem).

I remember someone else had the same problem some while ago and the solution you should find on page 3 post #53 from this thread. I've never experienced this myself but I'll have another look into this and incorporate that solution anyway if it makes no difference (and only helps for those who do have this problem).

I tried the code change in post #53 but all I get is a parse error on my right column. I am seriously considering doing a clean install of OSCommerce. Over the past two years my site has undergone a lot of changes and god only knows what failed contributions are still partially installed. I really only use the Easy Populate contri anyway so a clean install will be relatively easy.

I'll let you know if the shipping estimator works for me then :)

Please let me know if you can think of anything else however. I'd really rather not have to do it all over again.

I tried the code change in post #53 but all I get is a parse error on my right column. I am seriously considering doing a clean install of OSCommerce. Over the past two years my site has undergone a lot of changes and god only knows what failed contributions are still partially installed. I really only use the Easy Populate contri anyway so a clean install will be relatively easy.

I'll let you know if the shipping estimator works for me then :)

Please let me know if you can think of anything else however. I'd really rather not have to do it all over again.

The parse error might be because you put the tep_hide_session on the wrong place otherwise it would be unexplainable if you didn't encounter the same problem before.

As estimated shipping pretty much works with it's own files there should be no problem with 'left overs' from other contribs so I wouldn't be too hastily with a new install.

I'll check it out later and see if I get a parse error after adding the tep_hide_session according to post #53.

Ok...solved it.

Here is the change exactly as it needs to be made to 1.6

Change this:

$info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('estimated_shipping', tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), '',$request_type, false), 'post'),

to this:

$info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('estimated_shipping', tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), '',$request_type, false), 'post'). tep_hide_session_id(),

Note that the original code ends with a comma. This should be changed to a . and there needs to be a trailing , after the tep_hide_session_id()

You are right, those two values inside the modules/estimated_shipping.php have no influence when you want the whole box smaller.

The best I could find so quickly is to change the part where you include the module (default in catalog/index.php)

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ESTIMATED_SHIPPING); ?>

to

<table width="50%">
<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ESTIMATED_SHIPPING); ?>
</table>

You'll have to play around with it a bit more as it only gets smaller to a certain amount after which there is no change whether I set 10%, 20% or something in that order.

I want to make the width narrower too, only I don't have any code that looks like this. I have mine called in the right column and it reads like this:

// BEGIN estimated shipping -->

require(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ESTIMATED_SHIPPING);

// END estimated shipping -->

What am I doing wrong?

I have read all 9 pages many times. :(

I find the fun in everything.

Hi,

Do me a favor, if you could... take a look at my site: www.thebestcandles (you'll need to put something in the cart to get the contrib. to show).

I'm trying to get the right side to be the same size as the left side. I have it as close as I can get it, but I'm ot sure what else I can do. Perhaps if I could make the country box smaller...

Take a look -- anything that you could help with to make it look neater would be GREAT

:)

FixItPete,

It's the "Get" image that is causing the problem. It's 40 pixels wide. That, plus "Zipcode:" and the zip code box pushes it past 125 pixels wide. The browser just expands the box.

Make the button smaller, say 20 pixels and you should get it closer to the box width of 125.

Regards, Joe

FixItPete,

It's the "Get" image that is causing the problem. It's 40 pixels wide. That, plus "Zipcode:" and the zip code box pushes it past 125 pixels wide. The browser just expands the box.

Make the button smaller, say 20 pixels and you should get it closer to the box width of 125.

Regards, Joe

Hi Joe!

Actually I just put that image there... it was a problem before it too. I was hoping that I could "push" the image to the next line and that would tighten things up... I can't figure out how to do a centered carriage return, when I force the image to the next line it puts it on the next line but a bit to the left of center.

I spent about 2 hours messing with it!!!

I'll take any ideas/help you can give! :) :) :)

You have 3 columns on that row of zipcode, zipcode entry, and the get image.

So close the tr, and start a new tr and td. Add a colspan="2" to the td. Then close the td and tr. You can leave the center tags. See below:

<tr>
<td align="left" class="smallText">Zipcode:</td>
<td align="left"><input type="text" name="estzipcode" value="10028" MAXLENGTH="20" SIZE="5"></td>
</tr>
<tr><td colspan="2" align="center" class="smallText">
<CENTER><input type="image" src="includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_est_ship_submit.gif" border="0" alt="Process" title=" Process "></CENTER>
</td>
</tr>

That will center the "Get" image.