• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osC_Categories MS2-2.2

homewetbar

I created this topic to discuss the osC_Categories MS2-2.2 contribution as there is no current support thread.

I installed the two newest osC_Categories MS2-2.2 contributions and I seem to be encountering two problems.

1) The first category in each sub category will not show on the menu

2) When you view Whos Online in admin all you get is javascript instead of the urls and page names.

Has anyone encountered these errors with this contribution, and can anyone suggest a solution?

Thank you in advance!

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

please add a link where we can see how it looks like?

I don't currently have it installed I'm trying to resolve the above issues before fully installing it on my site.

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

2) When you view Whos Online in admin all you get is javascript instead of the urls and page names.

Looking at my store (also in testing phase and not online), in WHO'S ONLINE, I find that if a customer is on a product page I get that listed. It is only when the customer is on the main page (index.php) that I get page=javascript_categories.

I assume this is normal behavior.

Phil

Looking at my store (also in testing phase and not online), in WHO'S ONLINE, I find that if a customer is on a product page I get that listed. It is only when the customer is on the main page (index.php) that I get page=javascript_categories.

I assume this is normal behavior.

Phil

Are you having the first error I encountered as well?

Are you having the first error I encountered as well?

Well, I don't have any sub categories, so I tried an experiment.

When I added a category to the top level, the menu showed up fine.

When I added a subcategory beneath the new category, the top level showed up, but the subcategories did not. If I understand corectly, this is what you were seeing.

When I added a second subcategory beneath the first category (so, three levels in all), I got the same result: just the top level showed in the menu.

Although I was hoping to make some use of this module, since I have no sub categories, and since it does not seem to work correctly for me, I will be removing it and trying another menu module.

Oh well, win some, lose some.

Phil :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
I created this topic to discuss the osC_Categories MS2-2.2 contribution as there is no current support thread.

I installed the two newest osC_Categories MS2-2.2 contributions and I seem to be encountering two problems.

1) The first category in each sub category will not show on the menu

Has anyone encountered these errors with this contribution, and can anyone suggest a solution?

Thank you in advance!

Yes i am getting the same thing. Is thier a fix for this yet. Keith are you still interested in what we talked about in emails?

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at the code I found the error, I thought that it was just a mistake I might have made when altering the code, but I guess everyone is having this problem. I will post the code later today.

Jud

Hi all,

I hope someone can help, (Im a bit of a newbie) Ive tried installing this contribution twice (2nd time on a clean install of Oscommerce) but I cant get it to work.

First of all I installed the Advanced Cache Class contribution.

Then I uploaded the /ext folder from this contribution, along with the categories.php files which came with this contrib. (for the categories.php file which goes in Includes/boxes, I tried both integrating it with the existing file (which had no effect on the categories box) and also just replacing it entirely (which just created an empty categories box with no menu))

I wasnt sure whether to upload the DS_STORE files but tried that as well.

I followed the rest of the install instructions but to no avail.

I experimented with the path in catalog/ext/jscookmenu/ThemePanel/theme.js (ie. tried putting the full path including the web address, also tried the full path given to me by my hosting company as well as just replacing catalg with my own install folder etc.)

I also tried experimenting with: define('DIR_WS_EXT', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'ext/'); in Includes/clases/categories by trying to change catalog for my install folder.

But to be honest Im no expert! :(

When looking at the page source in a browser, it seems to be calling javascript in the categories box, but Im just getting no menus, only an empty box (tried both IE and Firefox).

Im sorry for being such a newbie, but id really like to get this contribution on my site and would appreciate any help that any one can provide,

Many Thanks,

Ida.

:blush:

PS. I am using the latest version of this contrib, updated by Bill Robinson

posted a small bugfix to contributions page:

When a user makes changes to his shopping basket, pressing 'continue shopping' will output some php code instead of the product page he was visiting.

regards

Bart

Hi,

When looking at the page source in a browser, in categoriesbox in javascript isn't definiction categories (two parameter function cmDraw). What is wrong? I have latest version contribution.

When looking at the page source in a browser, in categoriesbox in javascript isn't definiction categories (two parameter function cmDraw). What is wrong? I have latest version contribution.

I'm getting the same thing... IE shows a script error and "categories" not defined in the page, so the categories box remains blank... Help!

• 4 weeks later...

if you have an emty categories box after installation try following:

change line 32 in includes\classes\categories.php

CHANGE:

!$cache->is_cached('osC_Categories')

TO:

!$cache->is_cached('osC_Categories',$is_cached, $is_expired)

regards

Bart

Edited by on6qd

change line 32 in includes\classes\categories.php...

Thanks Bart, that worked nicely! :thumbsup:

...The first category in each sub category will not show on the menu

Has this been solved yet? :-"

ک?ŋ

...The first category in each sub category will not show on the menu

change following lines:

FILE:includes\classes\categories.php

LINE 72 FROM:
          $result .= $this->buildBranch($category_id, $level+1);
TO:
          $result .= ",".$this->buildBranch($category_id, $level+1);

LINE 93 FROM:
          "    $categories,\n".
TO:
          "    $categories\n".

This makes a world of difference... ;)

I plan to upload the modified file to the contrib section

regards

Bart

Big thanks to everyone involved with this contrib and this forum (without help from which, I'd still be staring at an empty categories box)!

Has anyone managed to get two or more subcategory levels to display?

After applying Bart's fixes, osC_Categories is doing almost exactly what I wanted, except I need at least one more subcategory level. I've only tried it in Firefox and IE but I'm getting the same in both.

Big thanks to everyone involved with this contrib and this forum (without help from which, I'd still be staring at an empty categories box)!

Has anyone managed to get two or more subcategory levels to display?

After applying Bart's fixes, osC_Categories is doing almost exactly what I wanted, except I need at least one more subcategory level.  I've only tried it in Firefox and IE but I'm getting the same in both.

Hopefully managed to get back here before anyone wasted their time trying to help with this...

Haven't a clue why - I've only been adding more products in admin - but it's working perfectly now, in both IE & FF, with three levels of sub categories.

Thanks to all, once again! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I think the menu is fantastic. I have a small problem with it though.

The inital page & menu loads fine.

But when you click into Manufacturers or new products. The Categories menu doesn't load. But by forcing a page reload the Menu loads.

Seems to work fine in Firefox, only IE that does it.

This is the browser error.

menu_not_always_loading.jpg

Edited by tsunami

... The Categories menu doesn't load.

I've just been told about pretty much the same thing. It's difficult to figure out because it works fine for me but two people - both using the same version of IE as me (fine in Firefox) - have reported that the whole menu disappears when you go back to index via either the breadcrumbs or the header image. Same error (I was sent a screen capture): "categories is undefined" but I can't replicate it here.

On top of that, I've just been told (hadn't noticed)! that the session ID is being lost when the menu is used. The SID is being appended to all the standard site links i.e. when navigating by any standard links such as Specials, What's New or Manufacturers the session survives; it only dies when the osC_Categories menu is used.

At this point, I don't even know where to start! :'(

Hi,

How can I show the menu horizontal, according to the JsCookmenu.js I have to put <td and </td> somewhere. However Where?

En do I have to do something to categorie.php, so that it doesn't say "categories"

Thanks in advance

Denice

Hi,

How can I show the menu horizontal, according to the JsCookmenu.js  I have to put <td and </td> somewhere. However Where?

En do I have to do something to categorie.php, so that it doesn't say "categories"

Thanks in advance

Denice

Hi Denice,

I've just downloaded the Cool Menu contrib so I'm a few minutes away from giving up on this one - don't have any more time to persevere - but, if it's working for you, have a look at the JSCookMenu site.

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~heng/JSCookMenu/

The word "categories" can be changed in catalog/includes/languages/english.php (around line 73)

define('BOX_HEADING_CATEGORIES', 'Categories');

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I think the menu is fantastic. I have a small problem with it though.

The inital page & menu loads fine.

But when you click into Manufacturers or new products. The Categories menu doesn't load. But by forcing a page reload the Menu loads.

Seems to work fine in Firefox, only IE that does it.

This is the browser error.

menu_not_always_loading.jpg

I found that disabling gZip compression may fix this. Try it out.

And just out of curiosity, did you have STS Template installed?

LinuxDave

Not sure about the etiquette of posting this in the osC_Categories topic but I decided the JS Cook Menu was too good to give up on - finally installed the New DHTML Categories Menu contrib - also based on the JSCook menu - very quick and easy install and everything worked first time - no problems since.