• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do you think so far?

dandelion

My Webpage

Hi - This is my first store and, as a web designer, I want to be able to offer this service to my clients so please help me see what I need to do.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to display the rest of the site content beyond the store items (client will be posting more of the product items soon I hope).

There are:

?aromatherapy recipes

?Book Reviews with Amazon links

?Articles which are really past newsletters (oh yah I guess I have to figure out the newsletters)

?Workshops

?Services

Also still to do:

?I haven't figured out the payment gateway yet (I guess we'll use Paypal)

?Need to do a new site map

I've been obsessing about this site so now I can't see it clearly. I really appreciate all the help from the forum. Please be honest.

Thanks

Ruth

I would personally go for more softer colors, to me aromatherapy means relaxation, maybe try some pastel shades.

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

For me it was a very slow load. You are probably going to want to install one of the thumbnail contribs. The buttons are very stock osC. I don't really think that the top Orange banner goes with the rest of the site. I guessing that you can get rid of some of the boxes on the left nav like Tell A Friend, Notifications, and Manufacturer Info as they add nothing to the site. You may want to think about consolidating AfY and Site Information into one box. As it is now, it just seems that you have way too many boxes on your left nav.

When I click home, your site jumps to the left, and creates a very strange feel. You your going to have your site centered make it consistent, likewise, if your going to have your site be aligned left make that consistent.

Good start though.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

The store looks good, but i second mark27uk3 about that it might even look better with soft pastel colors.

Hi Ruth,

I like what you've done so far. For the extra content, I think some of those things, like workshops and services, can be worked in just like regular products, or you could create other info pages, along the lines of about_us, or privacy.php type pages. There are contribs to facilitate this, or you could use an existing info page as a guide as to how to make new ones. It's pretty much just a file in the root, and another in the includes/language folder.

Jeremy

Thanks for the comments so far.

My client (actually friend who's getting a freebie site) wants these colours as they are her business colours - the orange is her store sign.

The home button you clicked on, Ryan, goes to the existing site which will, I expect, be totally replaced by the store once all the content from there has found a home.

Yesterday I added all the boxes on the left and created pages as a way to try to organize all the site content.

RE: "I guessing that you can get rid of some of the boxes on the left nav like Tell A Friend, Notifications, and Manufacturer Info as they add nothing to the site" WHERE are you seeing those boxes I did get rid of them?

Ruth

I like how you moved everything to the left column and removed the ugly arrows and numbers from the categories box. i think it would look better if you got rid of the ugly diagonal cut that comes on the osc store columns. you can see where the right column starts (shopping cart title) because of the right cut. i like the info pages but the text is huge compared to the other pages. the overall design of the site looks like a standard osc design.

Nice start.

Try and get a better handle on the boxes and the silly corner images osC puts there by default. By that I mean get rid of them. It only servers to retain the "osCommerce"ness of the site...

Already said above but hey - whats one more oponion - change the color scheme - not very warm and fuzzy considering the industry / products its for.

Buttons - make some? Stock osc again....

Boxes at bottom of pages with continue button etc - um - no. Think outside the osC box.... litterally

page position changes depending on what page i click - see contact_us.php for prime example - not a big thing but well - I think it shouldnt jump like that...

I'm not far from ya if ya need a hand with anything.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

i like the colors. goes well with what you are selling. this is minor quibble but i would change the box corners for product categories and shopping cart box. make them look like the rest of the boxes. i really like the previous and next option you have on top of your product description. can you tell me how you went about doing that?

i like the colors.  goes well with what you are selling.  this is minor quibble but i would change the box corners for product categories and shopping cart box.  make them look like the rest of the boxes.  i really like the previous and next option you have on top of your product description.  can you tell me how you went about doing that?

Thanks for your comments - I used the Prev - Next Contribution

Nice start.

Boxes at bottom of pages with continue button etc - um - no. Think outside the osC box.... litterally

...I want to delete the box but I can't find the code that controls it - I've checked stylesheets... anyone know?

That's a nice set up you've done for the book reviews and purchase. One thing I would change, is to have the hyperlink to amazon open a new window, and put a note by the link that this is what will happen. This is what I did for my links page. Here's a sample of the code if you choose to do this:

<a href="http://www.hiphaven.com/" title="Opens new window"target="_blank"> www.hiphaven.com/</a> Funky, cool, retro home furnishings, fashion, and art site from Austin,TX!<br><br>

That's a nice set up you've done for the book reviews and purchase.  One thing I would change, is to have the hyperlink to amazon open a new window, and put a note by the link that this is what will happen.  This is what I did for my links page.  Here's a sample of the code if you choose to do this:

<a href="http://www.hiphaven.com/" title="Opens new window"target="_blank"> www.hiphaven.com/</a> Funky, cool, retro home furnishings, fashion, and art site from Austin,TX!<br><br>

Thanks for noticing that it's fixed.

I still need to figure out why the fonts are bigger on my new pages and how to remove the boxes from the continue button etc. at the bottom of the pages. I'm thinking of less blue in the layout and more orange - what do you all think?

Ruth

Thanks for noticing that it's fixed.

I still need to figure out why the fonts are bigger on my new pages and how to remove the boxes from the continue button etc. at the bottom of the pages.  I'm thinking of less blue in the layout and more orange - what do you all think?

Ruth

Do I really have to go through every page and delete the class="infoBox" from the continue box at the bottom! This should be a separate class from the info box!

As you have it set up the font size is controlled by the user's browser (view -> Text Size _> etc.) In my opinion, this might not be a bad thing, many people like to be able to make the text bigger, not to find that the site builder feels it looks best in this size, and frankly doesn't care if you can't read it! type of thing. I'd think carefully about taking that control away from your customers. In fact it is something I'd discussed with a customer once, and she appreciated when she could set the font larger, so she could read it easier. I never followed up on it, maybe it's time I did!

Jeremy

seems like u added the category images by ur slef. y did u add the oscid on the link. this will make confusion and when two people come, they will get same session id - mening their cart will be mixed. make sure u never never never ever use oscid in the link

seems like u added the category images by ur slef. y did u add the oscid on the link. this will make confusion and when two people come, they will get same session id - mening their cart will be mixed. make sure u never never never ever use oscid in the link

I don't know what you mean and how to fix it. I added the category images through the admin. Can you tell me what to do to fix this?

Thanks

Ruth

Okay I listened about the colours, as much as I hate to admit it, you were right the banner was kinda stuck on top without blending with the rest of the site. Is it better now?

I still need help with the oscid in the link!! anyone?

Okay I listened about the colours, as much as I hate to admit it, you were right the banner was kinda stuck on top without blending with the rest of the site.? Is it better now?

I still need help with the oscid in the link!! anyone?

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks Harris for the help with the oscid link!

I know you said softer colours but I went darker to match the company logo. Is it too masculine for aromatherapy?

I still want to remove the box around the continue button. Is there a contribution that will make it a separate class from the infobox?

My Webpage

Thanks Robert,  The site isn't live yet.  I'm trying to get the products up now. Hope to go live by the 15th of April!

Ruth

Speaking of going live. Okay this is a dumb question but what exactly makes a store live? If I add the payment gateway is it then a live store :blush:

Well, I consider "live" more of complete, finished, Having everything doucmented faq's, payment modules... Where the only thing you do now is, add items, and pictures on and off.

Robert P.

Well, I consider "live" more of complete, finished, Having everything doucmented faq's, payment modules... Where the only thing you do now is, add items, and pictures on and off.

Robert P.

Well yes but if I add the payment module does that mean that the store is live and people can place orders? I don't want to be live until I've done all the add items, and worked out the bugs so what I'm asking is by adding the payment module does that make it a live store?

Archived