• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New England Country Gifts

PropioWeb

I've been out of the game for a while but I'm back

This is a beta site to be launched sometime in the summer or winter. It's not completely done as in images and such but it's almost there

Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://necg.jcdanczak.com

Thanks,

Sammy

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

I've been out of the game for a while but I'm back

This is a beta site to be launched sometime in the summer or winter. It's not completely done as in images and such but it's almost there

Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://necg.jcdanczak.com

Thanks,

Sammy

The colors are very nice. It gives me the feeling of New England. The few images that are loaded are very clear. This is just my opnion but there is a lot of redundancy with specials and new products on the main page and in a column box, The boxes could be commented out so the left and right columns could be a bit more balanced. I would recemend a contrubution that can hide your categories like St Patrick's Day untill it is the correct time of year. Over all I like this site (I also have a gift basket site).

I would like to review it futher when everything is in place.

Raymond

The colors are very nice. It gives me the feeling of New England. The few images that are loaded are very clear.  This is just my opnion but there is a lot of redundancy with specials and new products on the main page and in a column box, The boxes could be commented out  so the left and right columns could be a bit more balanced. I would recemend a contrubution that can hide your categories like St Patrick's Day untill it is the correct time of year. Over all I like this site (I also have a gift basket site).

I would like to review it futher when everything is in place.

Raymond

Thanks Raymond.

Thats exactly what I was going for when selecting the colors.

The redundancy is due to the fact that all I have is 17 product in there right now. Those are just for beta testing. Those are not even our images. All are borrowed :D until we get all the products ready.

I kow what you mean about the balance but hopefully once the store goes live the bestsellers list will grown and it will balance out. If not I will comment out some of the boxes.

Which contribution are you talking about? That is a really good idea. What is it called?

Really? What's your url?

I will let yyou know when the site is almost done or more updates are made.

BTW... This is not my store. I'm just building it for my employer. I usually maintain http://www.jcdanczak.com

Thanks for the suggestions.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Thanks Raymond.

Thats exactly what I was going for when selecting the colors.

The redundancy is due to the fact that all I have is 17 product in there right now. Those are just for beta testing. Those are not even our images. All are borrowed  :D until we get all the products ready.

I kow what you mean about the balance but hopefully once the store goes live the bestsellers list will grown and it will balance out. If not I will comment out some of the boxes.

Which contribution are you talking about? That is a really good idea. What is it called?

Really? What's your url?

I will let yyou know when the site is almost done or more updates are made.

BTW... This is not my store. I'm just building it for my employer. I usually maintain http://www.jcdanczak.com

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well I've been looking for that contrubution and for the life of me I can't find it. :'(

I will keep looking beceause it is on my list for my site.

My site is CHC Gifts I am still working on it so feel free to look around.

Raymond

Well I've been looking for that contrubution and for the life of me I can't find it. :'(

I will keep looking beceause it is on my list for my site.

My site is CHC Gifts I am still working on it so feel free to look around.

Raymond

I can't find it either. It would really be a good contribution to add. I spent about 20 minutes searching for it yesterday and nothing.

I made some adjustments to the site, mainly moving the what's new box to the left to balance it out. I also re ordered the categories which are still a WIP as we are not sure if if we are going to carry all of those but oh well.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Hi there,

1) I love your colour choice :-"

2) Why did you choose http://necg.jcdanczak.com/ as your address? I don't think I would ever remember it.

3) Much better balance of the columns now. Looks great. :)

4) " 954 requests since Wednesday 23 March, 2005" As a customer I don't want to see that only 954 people have visited your site. Add 10,000 people to it and back date it, or get rid of it.

5) The link to osCommerce in at the bottom of the page should open in a new window. You don't want people clicking on it and leaving your site.

<a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">Powered By osCommerce</a>

6) about_us.php could be a lot better. Same with help.php. They pages seem almost useless and don't tell me any substantial information.

7) On your product pages your images show up twice and there is no product description.

8) Don't forget to fill out your shipping, privacy and conditions.

9) If you have your Gift Voucher FAQ don't forget to create your Gift Vouchers that people can buy. If you don't want gift vouchers take the page out of your information box. You can also use it as a template to add other FAQ pages.

10) There is a "?>" at the top of your site map page.

11) You have a 877 phone number, I would like to see a regular phone number and address somewhere also. Either on about_us or contact_us. It makes me feel more secure about shopping at a store.

12) You need to get SSL also.

13) I found a product description, just need more of them now. At the bottom of it (Ultimate Easter Basket) it says "This product was added to our catalog on .". There is no date but I have never seen a need for this line anyways, it does not matter to the customer when it was added to the catalog.

Thats it for me,

HTH

Peter

Hi there,

1) I love your colour choice  :-"

2) Why did you choose http://necg.jcdanczak.com/ as your address?  I don't think I would ever remember it.

3) Much better balance of the columns now.  Looks great.  :)

4) " 954 requests since Wednesday 23 March, 2005"  As a customer I don't want to see that only 954 people have visited your site.  Add 10,000 people to it and back date it, or get rid of it.

5) The link to osCommerce in at the bottom of the page should open in a new window.  You don't want people clicking on it and leaving your site.

<a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">Powered By osCommerce</a>

6) about_us.php could be a lot better.  Same with help.php.  They pages seem almost useless and don't tell me any substantial information.

7) On your product pages your images show up twice and there is no product description. 

8) Don't forget to fill out your shipping, privacy and conditions.

9) If you have your Gift Voucher FAQ don't forget to create your Gift Vouchers that people can buy.  If you don't want gift vouchers take the page out of your information box.  You can also use it as a template to add other FAQ pages.

10) There is a "?>" at the top of your site map page.

11) You have a 877 phone number, I would like to see a regular phone number and address somewhere also.  Either on about_us or contact_us.  It makes me feel more secure about shopping at a store.

12) You need to get SSL also.

13) I found a product description, just need more of them now.  At the bottom of it (Ultimate Easter Basket) it says "This product was added to our catalog on .".  There is no date but I have never seen a need for this line anyways, it does not matter to the customer when it was added to the catalog.

Thats it for me,

HTH

Peter

Thanks for the feedback Java.

Let me see...

1. Thanks.

2. The addy is only for beta testing. We own NewEnglandCountryGifts.com, .net, .org and .biz. When we are about ready to get serious about it we will setup the hosting, ssl and domain.

3. Thanks.

4. How do I do that?

5. Will Do. Didn't notice. :rolleyes:

6. Those will be filled in as we roll along here. Right now it's still in the beginning stages of the site.

7. It's only on four of the products I was just testing the Mo Pics contribution which isn't working. I don't think I'm going to use it anyways. BTW... How do I set the product page image to be one size and get rid of the "Click Here to Enlarge" link? Descriptions and all the products are coming slowly. Some of the ones there are just for beta testing they are not even our own images.

8. See #6. :P

9. Will Do. Did not notice that link was there. I have yet to get around to all the features of this cart.

10. I know and I can't get rid of it. I can't find where it is in the code.

11. See #6 B)

12. See #2 ;)

13. How do I get rid of that line. Where is it?

Thanks for everything Java :thumbsup:

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

I think that the site is OK, but I have a question. Who buys this stuff? Is there a large market for it? I keep seeing these sites, and they just don't make sense to me. I guess it's kinda like the candle thing. Good layout though.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

I think that the site is OK, but I have a question.  Who buys this stuff?  Is there a large market for it?  I keep seeing these sites, and they just don't make sense to me.  I guess it's kinda like the candle thing.  Good layout though.

I have no idea. I was surprised at the amount of website that sell this stuff. I guess there is a market for it or there wouldn't be so many. My boss would also not venture into something liek this if he didn't think it would be profitable.

Thanks.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

4. How do I do that?

4. How do I do that?

5. Will Do. Didn't notice.  :rolleyes:

13. How do I get rid of that line. Where is it?

UPDATE:

4. Done! I exagerated a little but I can adjust it later. LOL

5. Done!

13. Found it and Got Rid of it.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

We are about to go live with this puppy. Just gotta do some last minute tweeks and adjustments.

But there is one thing that I am still at odds with and I was hoping if anybody running a shop was using it. This is the Gift Voucher or Gift Certificates.

How do I create them so I can sell them on the site? I've seen it on a couple of sites and I've tried obsesively to get it working and I cannot figure it out. What I mean is have a link in the menu or category for Gift Certificates of lets say $25 to $200 that customers can purchase and then send the email or whatever to their loved one. Can some one please point me in the right direction. I've tried the contribution forum but I cannot get any answers. Has anybody stumbled upon a thread speaking of this exact question. Please provide a link if so.

Another thing...

If anybody knows of the contribution giftmaster spoke of earlier could you point in that direction as well?

Thanks guys.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

you have to have downloads enabled, create the gift vouchers, zero weight value.

take a look at Gift Cert Examples . . .

Ok,

We are about to go live with this puppy. Just gotta do some last minute tweeks and adjustments.

But there is one thing that I am still at odds with and I was hoping if anybody running a shop was using it. This is the Gift Voucher or Gift Certificates.

How do I create them so I can sell them on the site? I've seen it on a couple of sites and I've tried obsesively to get it working and I cannot figure it out. What I mean is have a link in the menu or category for Gift Certificates of lets say $25 to $200 that customers can purchase and then send the email or whatever to their loved one. Can some one please point me in the right direction. I've tried the contribution forum but I cannot get any answers. Has anybody stumbled upon a thread speaking of this exact question. Please provide a link if so.

Another thing...

If anybody knows of the contribution giftmaster spoke of earlier could you point in that direction as well?

Thanks guys.

Thanks Mibble.

Ok. I created one gift certificate. So where do I go from there?

Is the process supposed to be automated or do I have to create the certificate? If so when I create the cert where do I send the email with the credit? From reading the FAQ I assume I have to create the cert and send it to the customer then the customer has to login and send it to their gift recipient. Is this correct?

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Ok I tested the send Gift Voucher thing and it sent me an email saying I had the gift voucher and gave me a code but when I login there is nothing showing in my shopping cart like it says its supposed to in the FAQ.

What am I doing wrong.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Style looks great. All those boxes still make it looky stocky. Maybe reorganize/remove some boxes. Don't be afraid to make some of your own pages and link em' up.

Also, on an very important note...your page is 389kb...install the

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

This contrib helped me a lot, it is very easy to install, you most likely have the GD library. It comes with php 4.3 and above. If not ask your web host to install the library.

Use <?php echo phpinfo(); ?> to see what version you are running.

Take 2 steps out of your checkout process and streamline your site, and its easy!

Get rid of the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page, this page stops people in their tracks and will hurt your sales.

Use this to take the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page and the "Account Created Success" Page out of your checkout process but still collect all their info and create an account or to "Sign In" if they already have an account.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...60entry598660

Check it out :thumbsup:

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

Thanks I will.

The site went live today but there is a bug and I can't figure out why. And it's a biggie.

After much tweaking I was able to get the text attribute to look like this:

http://www.newenglandcountrygifts.com/prod...&products_id=90

I was having trouble setting the character limit and then resizing the field itself. So now that's working but the text being imputed into the fields is not being carried over into the order. You can see it all the way up until the confirmation page but its missing from the confirmation email and admin section so we are not able to see what the customer want written on the card that will acompany the basket.

Does anyone else use the text attribute? Is this is a known problem? Did I screw something up?

EDIT:

Ksaun That link is taking me back to the forum homepage.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Ksaun That link is taking me back to the forum homepage.

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

}

Change it to:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

To:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what? :thumbsup:

Hey thanks ksaun.

Q?

Will this work with a BTS site?

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

I ran across an error, but I closed the browser on accident so I don't know what page it was on. But mayby you can figure it out from the error message.

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used after 'URL-Rewriter' in /home/necg/public_html/templates/necg/main_page.tpl.php on line 2

I have no idea what any of those functions do, but just FYI

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Thanks for the heads up. I know about it, I haven't been able to fix it. It's a php call to use the gzhandler for compressing the pages so they load faster.

The weird thing is that it only happens once during your visit.

Really good piece of code if you can get it to work. My site load so much faster now.

<?php
ob_start( 'ob_gzhandler' );
?>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
 <p>This web page is now COMPRESSED!</p>
</body>
</html>

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Hey thanks ksaun.

Q?

It does work. Thanks Man, that is alot more streamlined.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

The Store is now Live.

And I've had several people comment that there are too many boxes.

So my question is how can I join certain infoboxes into one so I have two instead of four.

For example:

Categories + Shop By Price + Search = One box of Shop By:

Sort of like that.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Hey thanks ksaun.

Q?

What is a BTS site? :huh:

What is a BTS site? :huh:

Basic Template Structure contribution

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

Archived