• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Javascript InfoBox v1.1

clarocque

Hi,

Ive just installed this to have a looksee and I think ive made a simple mistake.

In step 6 I of the install instructions I clicked the wrong button and didnt configure my settings, and I seem to not be able to go back to configure these again. Is there some way I can get to these settings to configure them please?

Thanks

Hi,

Ive just installed this to have a looksee and I think ive made a simple mistake.

In step 6 I of the install instructions I clicked the wrong button and didnt configure my settings, and I seem to not be able to go back to configure these again. Is there some way I can get to these settings to configure them please?

Thanks

Under the admin configuration there should be a new group now for JSIB ;)

Chris

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Under the admin configuration there should be a new group now for JSIB ;)

Chris

And so there is! :blush:

Thanks for that, will go have a play.

PS I added some lines to admin/includes/filenames.php and admin/includes/languages/english.php for completion.

PS I added some lines to admin/includes/filenames.php and admin/includes/languages/english.php for completion.

That will work but should not be needed (try to keep the step down - less chance of problems) ;)

I went to Configuration>JS Infobox>Enable JS Infobox and changed it to true.

Great me thinks :)

I went to Catalog>JS Infobox Manager then add... added a simple 2 word basic function checking the "Use Find & Replace" imput details on the Find, Caption and Body boxes, clicked save.

And then went to my index page where I hoped to see this in affact and.... nothing.... hmmmmmmmmm

Went back to have a look and play with the settings.

Clicked the Edit button and noticed alongside the Javascript Infobox heading it says... disabled.

Is this correct?

Thanks muchly.

I went to Configuration>JS Infobox>Enable JS Infobox and changed it to true.

Great me thinks  :)

I went to Catalog>JS Infobox Manager then add... added a simple 2 word basic function checking the "Use Find & Replace" imput details on the Find, Caption and Body boxes, clicked save.

And then went to my index page where I hoped to see this in affact and.... nothing.... hmmmmmmmmm

Went back to have a look and play with the settings.

Clicked the Edit button and noticed alongside the Javascript Infobox heading it says... disabled.

Is this correct?

Thanks muchly.

If you are seeign disabled then it is probably set to false. Check it again.

As far as the index page... if you are using stock OSC there is not dynamic content on the main index page as it is drawn from the /i/l/e/mainpage file....

Try a product first and make sure you check Apply to Product Desc

Chris

Got it working fine with product pages :) :thumbsup:

Thats REALLY clever and a great addition to any store!

It is definately positively set to true under configuration, I can only see "disabled" when I edit using the JS Infobox manager.

Seems to be working despite disabled being there though.

Is there any way to get it to work with the index page too?

Got it working fine with product pages  :)  :thumbsup:

Thats REALLY clever and a great addition to any store!

It is definately positively set to true under configuration, I can only see "disabled" when I edit using the JS Infobox manager.

Seems to be working despite disabled being there though.

Is there any way to get it to work with the index page too?

OK I see what you mean about disabled... I uploaded the wrong file - UGHH

I will upload new one in a minute...(all you have to replace is the /admin/js_infobox_manager.php

This will fix the Disabled issue.

To get a box on the index page (if you are not using database content like category descriptions or articles then you can set up a manual code in the control panel and then save it. Click the code Icon and it will provide you with manual code to insert.

ex:

<a href="java script:void(0);" onmouseover="return overlib('Test',HAUTO,VAUTO ,CAPTION, 'Test',FOLLOWMOUSE);" onmouseout=" nd();" class="jsib">123</a>

then insert that in the mainpage file wher you want it . You will have to change any ' to \' so it does not break the PHP like:

<a href="java script:void(0);" onmouseover="return overlib(\'Test\',HAUTO,VAUTO ,CAPTION, \'Test\',FOLLOWMOUSE);" onmouseout=" nd();" class="jsib">123</a>

You can not use F/R unless the data comes from the database.

Chris

This will fix the Disabled? issue.

Yup, thanks for that, thats now one dead bug :thumbsup:

Thanks also for the clarifcation on the manual code button, never in a million years would I have worked that out to do that.... well maybe in a few years than a million but not many.

Edited by Reesy

BOOYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAKAAAAA SHA thanks for your advice once again, I cut and pasted the code into english.php in the relevant place and it works fine on the index page now

If you mouse over the [?] in the CP there are instructions for it.

PS, I did notice that but it didnt say where to find the generated code, and it wasnt obvious to me at the time, I was looking for somewhere on the same page or something.

Happy Happy :thumbsup:

If you mouse over the [?] in the CP there are instructions for it.

Hello,

If i mouseover over the [?] in the admin area nothing happens, and i tried to insert the manual code as descibed above in the german language file of our static about us page, but i get no result, too.

At the bottom it says: java script:void(0);

The normal F/R function works perfectly, when using the code on dynamic pages.

I would appreciate a hint, how to solve that.

Thanks in advance and thank you for the perfect contribution and your efforts, especially because all the annoyance you had with it...

Greetings from Germany,

Philipp (www.angele-shop.com)

Edited by Johnny99

greetings from Germany

Philipp

Hello,

If i mouseover over the [?] in the admin area nothing happens, and i tried to insert the manual code as descibed above in the german language file of our static about us page, but i get no result, too.

At the bottom it says: java script:void(0);

The normal F/R function works perfectly, when using the code on dynamic pages.

I would appreciate a hint, how to solve that.

Thanks in advance and thank you for the perfect contribution and your efforts, especially because all the annoyance you had with it...

Greetings from Germany,

Philipp (www.angele-shop.com)

Phillip,

I am not sure what to tell you about the [?] other than make sure you got the install correct and uploaded the overlib.js in admin side. I guess if the front is working you have JS enabled in the browser.

To use the code on a manual page make sure you have listed the page in "Pages" in the JSIB Manager (if you cant view the tips then maybe you didn't).

Also make sure the static pages are using app_top and footer. I have never tried it on another language but I don't see why it wouldnt work.

Let me know how you make out.

Chris

PS. Your welcome and yes it was alot of BS but I backed of my principles as the community was loosing out. There is too much time in coding this (more in thinking it out first) to keep it in review. So I removed some links and a donation tab, I guess if anyone wants to see the links or make a donation than can go to my site (url is in card).

Edited by clarocque

Let me know how you make out.

Chris,

thanks for the fast reply. I feel a bit ashamed, i didn't upload the file to the admin area...normally my .php knowledge is big enough for copy and paste...

The contribution now works without problems, even with different languages, i just had to edit the control panel in the different languages in the admin and of course in the language files for the static pages.

Thanks again, I will find the link to the paypal button....

Philipp

greetings from Germany

Philipp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I thought id report back a finding for you.

I have this installed and only use it in one place on the index page which I managed to get to work with your help above.

I installed another contrib the same day and for ages I thought this had slowed my sites page loading speed down. I was looking into everything trying to figure out what this other contrib had done.

It was only today that I realise it wasnt the other contrib (which has only added 1 more query to my total of 42 and 0.0002 to the page parse time).

It was your contrib.

If it is enabled theres a massive massive difference in page loading time. Im talking about the difference between the page loading in less than 1 second and the page loading in about 5 seconds and im on a broadband connection. My father on dial up said after 30 seconds he gave up, the page still hadnt loaded.

If you would like to see the difference for your self please PM me when your online and I will turn it on for you and then you can see the difference.

I was shocked at my findings as its only a little tiny bit of javascript.

I would like to thank you for this contrib and wondered if you had any idea what was going on here?

Thanks

James

Hi Chris,

I thought id report back a finding for you.

I have this installed and only use it in one place on the index page which I managed to get to work with your help above.

I installed another contrib the same day and for ages I thought this had slowed my sites page loading speed down. I was looking into everything trying to figure out what this other contrib had done.

It was only today that I realise it wasnt the other contrib (which has only added 1 more query to my total of 42 and 0.0002 to the page parse time).

It was your contrib.

If it is enabled theres a massive massive difference in page loading time. Im talking about the difference between the page loading in less than 1 second and the page loading in about 5 seconds and im on a broadband connection. My father on dial up said after 30 seconds he gave up, the page still hadnt loaded.

If you would like to see the difference for your self please PM me when your online and I will turn it on for you and then you can see the difference.

I was shocked at my findings as its only a little tiny bit of javascript.

I would like to thank you for this contrib and wondered if you had any idea what was going on here?

Thanks

James

Yes send me the link... I would liek to see how you implimented it. I know of several sites using it and none have noticed a problem. There are several libraries that can load but should no be a problem.

To give you an idea I have 40 JSIB on one site and on one page it loads in no time.

The longest loading is the library but if you installed it properly that should be one of the last things to load.

PM the URL

Chris

Yes send me the link... I would liek to see how you implimented it.  I know of several sites using it and none have noticed a problem.  There are several libraries that can load but should no be a problem.

To give you an idea I have 40 JSIB on one site and on one page it loads in no time.

The longest loading is the library but if you installed it properly that should be one of the last things to load.

PM the URL

Chris

Hi Chris,

You have PM (right after this post).

Hi Chris,

You have PM (right after this post).

James,

Not sure where you went on IM...

Anyway I would look at your code... (might be your server and the php settings)...but in FF you page loads up but in IE that big bacground image shows until all your content loads.

If you have designed it that way I would remove that code (background image) or whatever you have there.

Teh Overlib.js is 35k and it has to be loaded once for the JSIB to work. Not much you can do about it that is why it is at the end of the page so the page will still load normally.

So does it take longer for your page to load - yes... 35k worth... but it is javscript and is in the footer so it is one of the last to load.

If that is breaking your store you might not be able to use it until you recode or change server setttings so your page does not wait until it is done loading all the code before it shows the content.

Chris

James,

Not sure where you went on IM...

Anyway I would look at your code... (might be your server and the php settings)...but in FF you page loads up  but in IE that big bacground image shows until all your content loads.

If you have designed it that way I would remove that code (background image) or whatever you have there.

Teh Overlib.js is 35k and it has to be loaded once for the JSIB to work.  Not much you can do about it that is why it is at the end of the page so the page will still load normally.

So does it take longer for your page to load - yes... 35k worth... but it is javscript and is in the footer so it is one of the last to load.

If that is breaking your store you might not be able to use it until you recode or change server setttings so your page does not wait until it is done loading all the code before it shows the content.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry MS kindly signed me out of MSN :(

I will speak to my host to see what they can suggest.

Thanks for trying to help!

Call me thick if you like, I have looked at the 2 sites I managed to find links for from this thread, but I cant see what this contrib does!! i found it from a mention in another post by Chemo about trying to integrate phpgiggle into osc. Could someone explain what this does, 'cos from the replies on this thread it sounds like whatever it does, it does it very well!

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Call me thick if you like, I have looked at the 2 sites I managed to find links for from this thread, but I cant see what this contrib does!! i found it from a mention in another post by Chemo about trying to integrate phpgiggle into osc. Could someone explain what this does, 'cos from the replies on this thread it sounds like whatever it does, it does it very well!

If you are interested in an example of the great contribution look at our webpage

Until now some examples are implemented in the german sites, for example look at the freight tables, which need some extra explanations for different countries (Switzerland-Schweiz, or Norway-Norwegen)

but I'll complete our databased product infos with much further information...

greetings from Germany,

Philipp

greetings from Germany

Philipp

Here is a couple sites I know have used it (with minor code changes to use on categories menu)...

http://www.123karaoke.se/

http://www.karaokeskivor.se/

Not all cats use them but some do...

I cant tell you what they say as it is a differnt language but you can see the box....

Chris