• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

It's payback time

COFFEE!

Nice site! :)

S

At 5:29 AM you need COFFEE >_<

I have a few thoughts on my site and I hope some people here might have a few ideas;

1) We paid for Geotrust's True Business ID and I want to find a way to promote the the site is secure. It gives us the option of having a Geotrust box on the site that is clickable. Any ideas on where to put this box so it is visable but won't make the pages longer, be intrusive, but will be visable when appropriate.

2) Ways to make the Coffee Classroom page more prominent or use it for max benifit.

3) We also have our own news feeds. I would love some ideas on how to promote that they are available for anyone to use. Right now people are looking at the first page (rss_osc.php) but very few are going to the second page (rss_osc2.php). There is something wrong but I am too close to the forest to see the trees.

4) Every new account gets a e-gift voucher but the person only knows that they get it after they sign up for an account. Any ideas on where to place this info on the site so that people who are just looking around will know that if they sign up they will receive it. Right now I don't think it is very usefull because if they sign up for an account they are already half way committed to purchasing.

Of course all comment, suggestions are appreciated.

Peter

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At 5:29 AM you need COFFEE  >_<

I have a few thoughts on my site and I hope some people here might have a few ideas;

1) We paid for Geotrust's True Business ID and I want to find a way to promote the the site is secure.  It gives us the option of having a Geotrust box on the site that is clickable.  Any ideas on where to put this box so it is visable but won't make the pages longer, be intrusive, but will be visable when appropriate.

2) Ways to make the Coffee Classroom page more prominent or use it for max benifit.

3) We also have our own news feeds.  I would love some ideas on how to promote that they are available for anyone to use.  Right now people are looking at the first page (rss_osc.php) but very few are going to the second page (rss_osc2.php).  There is something wrong but I am too close to the forest to see the trees.

4) Every new account gets a e-gift voucher but the person only knows that they get it after they sign up for an account.  Any ideas on where to place this info on the site so that people who are just looking around will know that if they sign up they will receive it.  Right now I don't think it is very usefull because if they sign up for an account they are already half way committed to purchasing. 

Of course all comment, suggestions are appreciated.

Peter

1. How about the shopping basket page? This is where we placed our Verisign shield.

2. How bout running some very low key ads (maybe just text or subtle images with text) at the botom of the main box, not in the footer, but in the brown area where all the text is.

3. See above.

4. See #2 :D

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated.  :D

Mighty Mike;

The contact us page is modified to incude the information on the left side using Contact Us Choice.  The departments are created using HelpDesk For osCommerce.  What you do is add the departments to the new helpdesk section of the admin and then you can retrieve/respond to your emails via the osC admin instead of using an outside program such as Outlook, etc.  It keeps them all together in their original thread.  You have to sync with your mail server before they are updated (not a big deal).  I find it works very well.  The two together are not easy to get the code sorted out as they both modify the contact us page.  If you want to install both let me know and I will send you the code.

radders

Thanks radders, I knew I would miss some.  :blush:  Thanks for the compliment also.

Chemo

All I did to change breadcrumb is remove the "Top" in the language file.  I have never liked the additonal ? there.  It is fixed and much better now.  Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Hi Java

Thanks for the pointers :thumbsup: I wont use the helpdesk contrib at the mo as i am happy with outlook, but i will keep it in mind.

I did use the contact us choice contrib but it has thrown up an issue, i just ripped out the code for the department choice and it worked perfectly. :) Then i liked the idea of a registered customer not having to put their name and emaill addy in as it would be filled in for them, but in order to get this part to work you have to remove the Contact Us Form Vunerability Fix. So i am not sure if i should use it or not. Do you have this part installed aswell?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Java

Thanks for the pointers  :thumbsup: I wont use the helpdesk contrib at the mo as i am happy with outlook, but i will keep it in mind.

I did use the contact us choice contrib but it has thrown up an issue, i just ripped out the code for the department choice and it worked perfectly.  :)  Then i liked the idea of a registered customer not having to put their name and emaill addy in as it would be filled in for them, but in order to get this part to work you have to remove the Contact Us Form Vunerability Fix. So i am not sure if i should use it or not. Do you have this part installed aswell?

Cheers

Mike

I haven't put the Vunerablility fix in yet but I will ask Emmett to look into compatability issues and let you know.

Thanks for that Java

Did you have any problems getting the contact us choice to send emails? As i cant get it to work :( Did you simply upload those files from the contrib run the sql and add an email into the config... Am i missing something, did a search on the forum but nothing came up :(

Thanks for that Java

Did you have any problems getting the contact us choice to send emails? As i cant get it to work  :(  Did you simply upload those files from the contrib run the sql and add an email into the config... Am i missing something, did a search on the forum but nothing came up  :(

Did you add the email address to CPanel and to Outlook???

Hi Java

Thanks for the pointers  :thumbsup: I wont use the helpdesk contrib at the mo as i am happy with outlook, but i will keep it in mind.

I did use the contact us choice contrib but it has thrown up an issue, i just ripped out the code for the department choice and it worked perfectly.  :)  Then i liked the idea of a registered customer not having to put their name and emaill addy in as it would be filled in for them, but in order to get this part to work you have to remove the Contact Us Form Vunerability Fix. So i am not sure if i should use it or not. Do you have this part installed aswell?

Cheers

Mike

So that I do not hijack this thread Mike, I will post a fix for the system mentioned above - here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138868&hl=

Your online success is Paramount.

yeah, just using the same email addy i had before it works fine if i resort back to my old file, would it have anything to do with the E-Mail Address you enter in admin for the store?

I don't think it would, if you need more help PM me.

lose the blue strip on the bottom

I have gotten a lot of feedback about the design and almost all positive, in version 2 of the site I will move things but for now the design will remain the same. Thanks though, I appreciate honest opinions.

i noticed slow loading times...

How are the load times for other people ????

Any more feedback, it is always appreciated. We have already started to get a few orders so things seem to be working out okay. We still have a few pages that are not doing what we want them too and are getting through all the suggestions that people have sent us.

Thanks everyone,

Peter

Your site has to be one of my favorite sites. Too bad Im not a coffee drinker becasue I would definetely order off your site. Your site is a model for all new comers to osCommerce who want to see the endless possibilites behind this great software. Just the look and feel of your site, and how it doesnt look like all the other "cookie-cutter" installs makes me envious. Who did the coding might I ask?

Your site has to be one of my favorite sites.  Too bad Im not a coffee drinker becasue I would definetely order off your site.  Your site is a model for all new comers to osCommerce who want to see the endless possibilites behind this great software.  Just the look and feel of your site, and how it doesnt look like all the other "cookie-cutter" installs makes me envious.  Who did the coding might I ask?

Thanks for the compliments, the design and alot of the coding (beyond the contributions installed) was done by Yesudo and AfterDark from VN2Designs.

The site is Java Roasters.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter, your site is awesome! I want a tshirt with the coffee mug dude on it! It's really un-osC-looking (not a bad thing at all). The only thing I have a problem with is the reversed-out lettering (?) where the letters are white on a dark background. Otherwise I think it looks great. I love how your FAQ works, too.

Lysa :thumbsup:

Hi Lysa,

Thanks for the comments. The FAQ's, privacy, etc. is based on the Gift Voucher FAQ page but I am changing it to a more traditional outlay. Some people have said there are too many clicks to view all the information. I am thinking about the font, my parents have a hard time reading the white colour. Any opinions on the white font colour are appreciated.

Coffee mugs and tee-shirts will come in stage two. For now I want to keep the packaging as simple as possible.

PS I love your signature. :thumbsup:

Peter,

Hey there! Hope things are faring well for you.

The website is really turning into a very unique, intuitive shopping experience. Great work :)

Just a couple suggestions:

1) What about creating some unique Rating-based icons in place of the standard osC star gifs? I think it would give the site a nice touch.

2) The hover link color is a dull, light-blue color. Doesnt fit your overall color theme. I would suggest something that compliments your beautiful color work.

Great job and keep in touch!

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

Thanks moonlitsun,

1) I will see if I can find some coffee bean images to replace the star.gifs. I think that would be a nice touch also.

2) I will look into the light blue text. Do you know where that is in the style sheet? I get lost looking at it. :blush:

I will be putting up a lot of changes this weekend so it should look very different next week. Thanks for the input everyone, it is such a great help.

Peter

Thanks moonlitsun,

1) I will see if I can find some coffee bean images to replace the star.gifs.  I think that would be a nice touch also.

2) I will look into the light blue text.  Do you know where that is in the style sheet?  I get lost looking at it.  :blush:

I will be putting up a lot of changes this weekend so it should look very different next week.  Thanks for the input everyone, it is such a great help.

Peter

Peter,

Look for something like this:

A:hover { color: #C5810B; text-decoration: underline; }

and then just replace the color above to whatever you want. The above color is one taken from our site ;)

Keep it up!

BTW, from my own experience...i would not suggest DENYING anyone insight into your own code work....our Storefront thread was removed because we werent willing to immediately release some of the code we developed for our tabbed stylesheet system! ;) I wonder if this post will be c e n s o r e d too??

Thanks moonlitsun,

I wish there was a guide to the stylesheet somewhere (I may make the suggestion to the team).

There really is not a whole lot of custom code in my site. It is a really good design job done by AfterDark and some coding work done by Emmett but 99% of the code changes are just contibutions that have been installed and removing the parts of osC that were not needeed. I think I have been open with the code used in the site such as the questions about the FAQ pages, etc. But since the Gift Voucher FAQ (the basis for our FAQ, Privacy pages) comes from the #1 downloaded contribution I don't think it is necessary to go too deep into answering the question beyond telling them where to find a similar type page where that they can easily use to create a duplicate of what I have done. Also Emmett put up the seperate code fix for the Contact Us page for people that use the Contact Us Choice contribution. Our package tracking went up as a contribution long ago as did the CVV added to the payment processor (although I didn't do the work for that). The RSS pages (done by Rob123) are custom work but are of no use to anyone except us because they run off a seperate DB on our server and are written specifically for our news service.

If there is anything specific people want to know all they have to do is ask and I will do my best to point them in the right direction. There is nothing in the site that needs to be hiden.

Peter

BTW, from my own experience...i would not suggest DENYING anyone insight into your own code work....our Storefront thread was removed because we werent willing to immediately release some of the code we developed for our tabbed stylesheet system! ;)  I wonder if this post will be c e n s o r e d too??

Apologise again Java, off-topic....

Now i really dont understand why your thread would be removed because you wont release code maybe it was for another reason.

On the note about the tab system, it was really easy to find out how you did it and i also have it implemented on my store :D

Apologise again Java, off-topic....

Now i really dont understand why your thread would be removed because you wont release code maybe it was for another reason.

On the note about the tab system, it was really easy to find out how you did it and i also have it implemented on my store

moonlitsun was talking about their store and thread. Personally I think everyone runs their business according to what they feel is right for them. I have no problem with someone if they do not release the code. If people want it so bad they should write it themselves or hire someone to do it for them. Moonlitsun has provided enough help to people in the forum and if they feel that keeping a part of code to themselves is what is best for their business then that decission is up to them and no one else.

Peter

Peter,

I agree 100% with you, as I said, surely it can't have been removed because he wont release code :blink: if it was, then maybe I wont put a "my store" thread up because somebody might ask me how I did something and they don?t get an answer..

If I asked you to supply me with your code for your store would you do it? I know I wouldn?t do it, but would point people in the right direction on how they could do it themselves.

To be honest, I am very surprised that moonlitsun's thread has been removed and would love to know the real reason behind it.

P.S. Great site Java :thumbsup: I wish you every success with it

Cheers

Mike

Archived