• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contrib] Make An Offer

Hi; I've installed this and it seems to work, bar these points:

1) The error in catalog/make_an_offer.php is still present in the latest download set (fix is noted in this topic but not in the current install notes)

2) It doesn't seem to work in the situation where 'accept directly' is false (i.e. the offer form is called into play), and where the product has options which modify the price.

For instance, a product cost ?50 but has an option which adds on ?25; the form shows the product base price (?50) and not the actual price of ?75.

Also the product name/description doesn't indicate an option has been chosen.

Is there a way round these?

[i do have a real-time price updater installed, could this be the cause? I suspect not though]

Lastly, popthetops links to the forum, re misc payments, don't work - pop have you got any info on that? Searched with no luck;

Cheers all...

Anyone? wheeloftime?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Howard (wheeloftime)...

I am trying to put together features similar to what is being offered to be installed for $50.00 on the first page of this "Make An Offer" forum.

-----------------------------------------------

Actually, I think it is a rude and inappropriate advertisement posting / response, for gain, in a forum meant for helping. Particularly since I have seen the name (PopTheTop) in several forums looking for help with one thing or another. I find this person's attitude to be really offensive overall.

Anyhow, what happened to me is - I stumbled upon this contribution "Make An Offer", and its forum, and read through it because I have been wanting to add a couple of features to my osc application:

(1)

I wanted customers who purchase a gift certificate via my already installed "Credit Class & Gift Voucher" contribution - to be able to just insert whatever amount they want to via a text input field. Presently you have to set an amount (as you do with any product), and a customer can increase it by adding more quantities of it.

(2)

I wanted to have a "Payment" page, where a customer can insert any amount for payment, as well as a brief description of what the payment is for, also using text input fields.

So, I was quite surprised to find (I have looked quite extensively for some time now, and not been able to find as a contribution) pretty much, just what I was looking for, as I mentioned already, on the first page of this forum. Only it's not a contribution...

Please don't misunderstand me. In an appropriate and proper setting, offering an osc service, or associated work for a fee is more than okay with me. It is just the way that it was done here in the first page of this forum, by this pophisload little person - that just really irked me. As well, as I read through the forum, his whole attitude sucks, as though he's better than, and trying to show off or something. Reminds me of a grade school hall monitor wannabe... child.

Okay, I really need to put a zip to my typing lip - and get on with the real purpose of my writing here now. Maybe too, I need to apologize for ranting on some.

Presently, using some of the code from three separate contributions (Make An Offer, Options Type, & Maximum Order Quantity) - I am almost able to achieve what I am looking for.

From the Make An Offer contribution, I am able to get a text input field to carry an inserted $ amount over into the shopping cart.

From the Options Type contribution, I am able to get a text input field to carry an inserted brief payment description over into the shopping cart as an attribute.

From the Maximum Order Quantity contribution, I am able to prevent more than one gift certificate and/or more than one payment amount, to be processed per order.

I am afraid though, the finishing touches are beyond my limited ability to customize some, using others code, which is all that I can really do. (Though I am still, searching through the forums, and contributions, for more info on how I might accomplish what I want to.)

What's left that needs to be done is:

(1)

Need to be able to validate the two text input fields involved, which are generated in product_info.php (To be able to control the $ amount range, & to insure a description is inserted - would like to do this using an "alert" statement.)

(2)

Presently, the "Gift Certificate" (product) page passes through the checkout procedure going from the cart directly to checkout_payment.php, skipping checkout_shipping.php.

The "Payment" (product) page does not (I do know it has to do with the "Product Description" text attribute that carries through). It goes through checkout_shipping.php first - this needs to be changed to do the same as the "Gift Certificate" (product) page.

(3)

When using the Free Shipping Over A Given Amount feature, I need to be able to exclude both the "Gift Certificate" (product) amount, and/or the "Payment" (product) amount - from being included in the tally/sum.

(4)

In most files that I have tried to, I am able to separate the 2 products (which in my case are 1 & 2 "Gift Certificate" & "Payment" respectively) by using some variation of (($products['products_id'] == 1) && ($products['products_id'] == 2) ) with an "if" statement, or "if else" statements.

I have not been able to figure out, or find an example of the variation that works with the checkout files (checkout_shipping.php, checkout_payment.php, checkout_confirmation.php, & checkout_success.php)

I need to, to be able to custom the info presented - which will depend on which products are purchased (different for 1 & 2, than the rest).

To the point of my telling all this here to you Howard:

I am trying to generate some interest in completing these last areas, which I so far, have not been able to do. I am very close though. Presently I am working in an XAMPP environment on my computer.

So, if you or anyone else has an interest to see what I've got done so far, with an eye towards collaborating, I would be glad to publish it on my server. It also has the potential to be a useful hybrid contribution when finished. And of course, as it should be - a FREE contribution!

Regards,

Carlos

P.S.

Howard, please forgive my posting all this here. It just seemed like one of the places to do it, for more than one reason.

Carlos,

A bit late in response and I had to read your long message a couple of times to understand to skip the first part (I wasn't even aware Pop went that far) ;)

At the moment I am quite busy with some client projects and our, meanwhile already, 2 months old little daugther but I am surely interested to see how you put those 3 contribs together and maybe can give you some ideas to get it fully working.

regards,

Howard

Anyone? wheeloftime?

Hi Bill,

1) What error is still there ?

2) The product price taken from the product page is the bare price, or special price, without taking options into account. The contribution should be changed to reflect those also.

Do not mention the name Pop. He is a scammer who even had the nerves to present himself as a team member while he was not in any way.

regards,

Howard

Hi Howard, cheers for the reply. TBH it was a bit ago and I can remember the error exactly; what I found was, there is an error with fix detailed in this thread, but was still present in the version I downloaded.

Re the price/options side, can you give me any clues? I'm not an oscommerce or PHP guru, kind of middling PHP I suppose... :blush:

Cheers, Bill

The error occurs when you do not have all needed SQL statements applied to your database and/or missed one of the neccessary changes. Best advise is to check everything carefully (again). I have never heard back from EIH so I guess he found the error himself in the end.

Just as a double check - this is the sql statement that's to be used - correct?

ALTER TABLE `products` ADD `products_make_an_offer` TINYINT(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` VALUES ('', 'Make An Offer', 'The options to configure the MAO button.', '1', '1');

UPDATE `configuration_group` SET sort_order = last_insert_id() WHERE `configuration_group_id` = last_insert_id();

INSERT INTO configuration VALUES ('', 'Accept offer directly', 'MAO_ACCEPT_OFFER_DIRECTLY', 'true', 'Add an accepted offer directly to the shopping cart', last_insert_id(), '1', NULL, now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),'),

('', 'Maximum allowed offer percentage', 'MAO_MAX_OFFER_PERCENTAGE_ALLOWED', '20', 'The maximum percentage of the official price you will accept an offer for (ie. if the set price is 100 all offers below 80 will not be accepted for the default of 20%.).', last_insert_id(), '2', NULL, now(), NULL, NULL);

ALTER TABLE `products` ADD `products_make_an_offer` TINYINT(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` VALUES ('', 'Make An Offer', 'The options to configure the MAO button.', '1', '1');

UPDATE `configuration_group` SET sort_order = last_insert_id() WHERE `configuration_group_id` = last_insert_id();

INSERT INTO configuration VALUES ('', 'Accept offer directly', 'MAO_ACCEPT_OFFER_DIRECTLY', 'true', 'Add an accepted offer directly to the shopping cart', last_insert_id(), '1', NULL, now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),'),

('', 'Maximum allowed offer percentage', 'MAO_MAX_OFFER_PERCENTAGE_ALLOWED', '20', 'The maximum percentage of the official price you will accept an offer for (ie. if the set price is 100 all offers below 80 will not be accepted for the default of 20%.).', last_insert_id(), '2', NULL, now(), NULL, NULL);

Let me apologize for letting this post - I had duplicated an existing site and had forgotten to change out the database info - what maroon. Sorry, but thanks for the reply.

Yep, that is the correct one. Check if all options are created correctly in your admin interface and if there were no errors when applying these statements. On later PHP(myAdmin) versions the above does not work correctly anymore and you should use:

SET @id_config = last_insert_id();

INSERT INTO configuration VALUES ('', 'Accept offer directly', 'MAO_ACCEPT_OFFER_DIRECTLY', 'true', 'Add an accepted offer directly to the shopping cart', @id_config, '1', NULL, now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),'),
('', 'Maximum allowed offer percentage', 'MAO_MAX_OFFER_PERCENTAGE_ALLOWED', '20', 'The maximum percentage of the official price you will accept an offer for (ie. if the set price is 100 all offers below 80 will not be accepted for the default of 20%.).', @id_config, '2', NULL, now(), NULL, NULL);

• 1 month later...

Ok I've got a simple question which might not have a simple answer.

I am currently working on a site where this add-on would be perfect.

The problem is a fixed % off on every item that I'll willing to accept an offer on might not work well for my needs. So I figure the Solution to this would to be to set the max % which in this case would be the default 20% but also configure it in the admin section so that accept offer directly is false.

Which in turn result in an email being sent to me, great. But how do I accept that offer for that person?

If i have say 10 of the same items for sale for say $100 and 3 people make an offer, each one being different how do I accept each of the three different offers? in this case say I'm willing to accept up to 20% but on another item I'm only willing to accept up to 15%

Corey

Ok I've got a simple question which might not have a simple answer.

I am currently working on a site where this add-on would be perfect.

The problem is a fixed % off on every item that I'll willing to accept an offer on might not work well for my needs. So I figure the Solution to this would to be to set the max % which in this case would be the default 20% but also configure it in the admin section so that accept offer directly is false.

Which in turn result in an email being sent to me, great. But how do I accept that offer for that person?

If i have say 10 of the same items for sale for say $100 and 3 people make an offer, each one being different how do I accept each of the three different offers? in this case say I'm willing to accept up to 20% but on another item I'm only willing to accept up to 15%

Corey

Hello Corey,

The simple answer is that the email part does not have a backend so accepting email offers should be handled manually after the initial offer. At first I wanted to create a backend for the email part but then I thought that accepting offers directly would be better and so I created that.

Probably not completely satisfactory but when you don't get too many offers it should be doable to email those 3 people back. With a contrib like Master Password and Order Editor you can create an order for the customer and change the price according to the offer. If you do not want one percentage for all products you could create an extra product field which will hold the max. percentage overriding the default admin one when neccessary.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this:

Ive got the make an offer contribution working well, and am just stuck at tweaking the make an offer form. I've added a couple of custom fields to the form, as we want people making an offer to provide a contact telephone number and their address. I've got the form working, but how can I force the users to fill in the fields, exactly as the email field is currently validated? I've tried but just cant crack it

• 3 weeks later...
Carlos,

A bit late in response and I had to read your long message a couple of times to understand to skip the first part (I wasn't even aware Pop went that far) ;)

At the moment I am quite busy with some client projects and our, meanwhile already, 2 months old little daugther but I am surely interested to see how you put those 3 contribs together and maybe can give you some ideas to get it fully working.

regards,

Howard

Hello Howard!

Do you know, I was not even aware that you had taken the time to respond to my post of a couple of months ago. So, first let me say thank you.

I have not been able to spend any time with my project for awhile. Sometimes I get just so far, and can?t get any further, and I have to leave it be or go crazy! Usually I don?t let this much time go by, but other things of life have come up. And again, I didn?t know you had responded.

By the way I am the one who was trying to combine a few contributions, including "Make An Offer" to make a sort of hybrid contribution.

If you would be interested still in seeing what I've gotten done so far, I would love to show it to you.

I had managed to solve some of the problems I originally asked for some advice about. There are however some things that I have not been able to figure out.

It is my intention to one day (I say one day because I have been working on this, on and off for a very long time now) offer my heavily modified application as part of an osc specific hosting package of some sort.

I'll understand if your hands are way full, with your now 4+ month old little daughter... a belated congratulations by the way!

If you do have some time to talk about this a little bit, please let me know... Any insight or thought(s) would be wonderful! It can be seen HERE. Then clicking on "Gift Certificate" and/or "Make A Payment". As you will be able to tell it is not a live shop, so please fell free to explore in any way you might like to. And of course if you would like to see any of my files you are more than welcome to.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have not been able to figure out how to prevent either the gift certificate or the payment from triggering the "free shipping above" feature, when "free shipping above" is activated.

I have not been able to get the "Make A Payment" to go directly to checkput_payment.php, as the gift certificate does. (Because there is an option field, I think, there are a few other little problems with the "Make A Payment" product)

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Carlos

P.S. Sorry about the pop the top ranting!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

What you have on this site, I really need! I designed www.hrredcross.org, and need to have a way for people to donate any amount they want. Is this page in any form of contribution yet? Would you be willing to share this modification with me for the Red Cross in my area?

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greyson

Edited by macrosupport

Is this page in any form of contribution yet? Would you be willing to share this modification with me for the Red Cross in my area?

Hello Greyson!

The payment page/function is not fully working yet. It has some problems that so far, are beyond my ability to correct. The core of it works, and I am at this point almost daily playing around with it.

My intention is to make it into a contribution whenever I can get it to work properly. This will likely take a bit of time though; first to get it working fully, and second to separate it from this heavily modifed application, so that it will be understood, and readily implemented into a vanilla osc application.

It seems I missed my window of opportunity to get some help from Howard, which would have been great as it is this "Make An Offer" contribution mostly, along with a couple of others that the "Payment" ability is based on.

If you like I will let you know when it is working properly, and perhaps then you might help me to get it into a contribution form.

You are welcome to any specific files I have, if you think you might be able assist in getting it to work properly.

Well done on the Red Cross Site... it looks great!

Regards,

Carlos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice contribution. I just installed on my site. works fine. But i realize a little issue when i use accept dircetly offer. I click on the add to cart, if the offer price is too low to be acceptable, i got a empty shopping cart page. I have to click IE's BACK buttom to get back prev. page to see the error message for offer price too low. That was very confusing.

Suggestion: 1. when click on the add to cart, confirm the offer price first. if too low, then do not go to next page and show red error message, or a popup java windows to tells the customer what 's going wrong.

Suggestion: 2. click on add to cart, go to the shopping cart page. but if the offer price too low, then show the error message on top off the shopping cart page. Also, add the "Back" buttom, allow customers can go back to that product infor. page to try again.

Can any one help me to make my suggestion become real?

Thanks again for the nice fuction.

Nice contribution. I just installed on my site. works fine. But i realize a little issue when i use accept dircetly offer. I click on the add to cart, if the offer price is too low to be acceptable, i got a empty shopping cart page. I have to click IE's BACK buttom to get back prev. page to see the error message for offer price too low. That was very confusing.

Suggestion: 1. when click on the add to cart, confirm the offer price first. if too low, then do not go to next page and show red error message, or a popup java windows to tells the customer what 's going wrong.

Suggestion: 2. click on add to cart, go to the shopping cart page. but if the offer price too low, then show the error message on top off the shopping cart page. Also, add the "Back" buttom, allow customers can go back to that product infor. page to try again.

Can any one help me to make my suggestion become real?

Thanks again for the nice fuction.

Hello Darren,

Don't know which IE version you use and/or which settings as it is not normal behaviour that an empty shopping cart page is opened after a too low offer. It might be related to the admin->configuration->Display Cart After Adding Product setting which needs to be false for the contrib to work correctly.

regards,

Howard

Hello Darren,

Don't know which IE version you use and/or which settings as it is not normal behaviour that an empty shopping cart page is opened after a too low offer. It might be related to the admin->configuration->Display Cart After Adding Product setting which needs to be false for the contrib to work correctly.

regards,

Howard

Oooo, I see. thanks for your help. now mine is working. B)

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This contribution is exactly what i'm loking for. However, when i install it instead of getting the 'make an offer' button i'm just getting a green box that says 'Your offer' then a gap to type something then GBP?

makeanoffer.JPG

Now i'm sure this isn't correct, as i have checked out some other sites and these have the make an offer button on the product info page.

Any input would be much appreciated, as the green box is definately not what i am looking for. I'm not worried about the location of it on the page, i just want the actual make an offer button rather than this.

Best Regards

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on a site that is currently selling around 5000 items. Before I slog through the install can some tell me if this can be applied to existing items(all 5000) or is it just for when new items are put on?

Cheers

Graham

I am working on a site that is currently selling around 5000 items. Before I slog through the install can some tell me if this can be applied to existing items(all 5000) or is it just for when new items are put on?

Cheers

Graham

You have to apply it to any item you want to accept an offer for. The changes you have to do will of course effect old and new items, all will get a new field which you can toggle on or off.

HTH

Howard

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

This contribution is exactly what i'm loking for. However, when i install it instead of getting the 'make an offer' button i'm just getting a green box that says 'Your offer' then a gap to type something then GBP?

makeanoffer.JPG

Now i'm sure this isn't correct, as i have checked out some other sites and these have the make an offer button on the product info page.

Any input would be much appreciated, as the green box is definately not what i am looking for. I'm not worried about the location of it on the page, i just want the actual make an offer button rather than this.

Best Regards

Donna

Hi Donna, probably to late in replying but if you see this, I had the same problem. I went into the admin/config section and clicked on 'make on offer' in left menu. Took the settings off about sending offer directly to the shopping cart and the button showed up after that.

Now if anyone can help, I seem to have it all working well but when it goes to the email page to send an offer, the price of the item is on 0.00 and that's how it comes through in the email too. No big deal but if anyone knows what I could do to fix it, I'd appreciate it. Just a bit of a perfectionist over here lol. Thank you.

Hi Donna, probably to late in replying but if you see this, I had the same problem. I went into the admin/config section and clicked on 'make on offer' in left menu. Took the settings off about sending offer directly to the shopping cart and the button showed up after that.

Now if anyone can help, I seem to have it all working well but when it goes to the email page to send an offer, the price of the item is on 0.00 and that's how it comes through in the email too. No big deal but if anyone knows what I could do to fix it, I'd appreciate it. Just a bit of a perfectionist over here lol. Thank you.

Which version of estimated shipping are you running and which php and mysql ? It does seem to happen on a few boxes but I can not replicate it on mine.

Which version of estimated shipping are you running and which php and mysql ? It does seem to happen on a few boxes but I can not replicate it on mine.

Hi Wheeloftime, I'm using v 1.0 on estimated shipping,

on mysql: Ver 12.22 (Distrib 4.0.16)

and for php: 4.4.1

Thank you,

Brandi